Are you a Slingbox user? SlingPlayer Mobile 1.05 for Smartphone now available...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

If I had to choose one gadget that impressed me most in 2006, it would probably be the Slingbox.

post-1-1166710808_thumb.png

Since the Slingbox came in to my life, I can now view my TV (and Media Center) from wherever I am, let my friends watch my TV (e.g. if they are out and want to watch the footy), all just by getting this one magical box of tricks and plugging it into my video / audio feeds and my router.

Sling have recently released version 1.05 of their software for Smartphone software (download here), which includes the following enhancements:

• Fixed incompatibility with T-Mobile Dash/ HTC Excalibur and Samsung BlackJack
  • Fixed streaming profile to allow for streaming at higher bitrates
  • Minimized ghost images/ artifacts
  • Addressed accessibility of Favorites bar (can now be invoked through '#' and/or Spacebar keys depending on device)
  • Further graphics refresh fixes
  • Navigation keys (Up/Down/Left/Right) now mapped correctly to Cursor Up/Down/Left/Right commands for DVD video input type
  • '-' can be saved in channel number field when setting up a favorite channel shortcut (for all input types other than internal tuner)
  • Missing keyboard remote control shortcuts added (e.g. A Button or Red = 'A', B Button or Green = 'B', and C Button or Yellow = 'V', for remotes that have these corresponding buttons)
  • "*" key (swap channels remote control function) on mobile device fixed and now enabled when controlling the Sony SAT-HD20
If you're a Pocket PC user, you should also check you've updated to the 1.1 release (download here), which adds these improvements:

• Added support for the following previously unsupported devices: HTC TyTN and Cingular 8525
  • Fixed issue with separate PC installers required for different localized versions of the software - resolved via setup language selection during installation process
  • Fixed issue with screensaver overtaking video screen on Compaq iPAQ rx3715 while streaming
  • Navigation keys (Up/Down/Left/Right) now mapped correctly to Cursor Up/Down/Left/Right commands for DVD video input type
  • '-' can now be saved in channel number field when setting up a favorite channel shortcut (for all input types other than internal tuner)
  • Added missing keyboard remote control shortcuts (e.g. A Button or Red = 'A', B Button or Green = 'B', and C Button or Yellow = 'V' for remotes that have these corresponding buttons)
  • "*" key (swap channels remote control function) on mobile device fixed and now enabled when controlling the Sony SAT-HD200
  • I thought i'd also ask who else here is a Sling user? I know nedge2k and PageMakers are both big Slingbox fans... anyone else? :)

P

If I had to choose one gadget that impressed me most in 2006, it would probably be the Slingbox.

post-1-1166710808_thumb.png

Since the Slingbox came in to my life, I can now view my TV (and Media Center) from wherever I am, let my friends watch my TV (e.g. if they are out and want to watch the footy), all just by getting this one magical box of tricks and plugging it into my video / audio feeds and my router.

I use the equally good Orb solution. Works great on my Hermes, and it's free. YMMV, especially if you need to use an IR blaster to remote control a set-top box (those are the majority of the problems on the Orb forums), but hey - it's free!

N

Guest cipher692000

Yep, i'm a slingbox user. Still use Orb from time to time for stored content but the Slingbox is a superb bit of kit....now if only they would let us buy the WM player officially in the UK it would be even better.

C.

Guest nickcornaglia
Yep, i'm a slingbox user. Still use Orb from time to time for stored content but the Slingbox is a superb bit of kit....now if only they would let us buy the WM player officially in the UK it would be even better.

C.

Another Slingbox user here. One of the main reasons I wanted a 3G phone. What is the WM Player you want to buy?

Guest cipher692000

Hi Encece,

Probably wasn't very clear in my post. I was talking about SlingPlayer mobile for WM5. It seems that you can't buy this outside of the US or Canada. I even emailed Sling support about it and the response I got was basically that if you want to use SlingPlayer Mobile in the UK you have to take out a contract with 3 and get on of their new X series phones due to a recent deal between the two companies.....sucks really.

C.

I think Slingbox is a great idea and seems to be a better implementation than Sony Location Free. I have used both with colleagues in the US but is there anyway (apart from having friends in the US) to get the WM client in the UK (after the trial runs out!!)? Using '3' by the way is not an option, I have some 3 SIMs for work but I refuse to give any company with such poor service a single penny more than I have to.

Also I cannot see when the newer versions of the SLingbox will get released itn the UK, even though the US seems to have had them for a while.

Common sense has rarely influenced my gadget spending but I will be gutted if I buy a slingbox and the new one is due out next month!

Edited by neilg

I also note that 3 are only offering N73 or in the future SE W950 for slingbox so no WM devices. I called and as far as the CS are concerned they know of no WM devices (not that that is any indication). WIll ask over at Sling to see if it is possible to get official WM Sling Clients if 3 UK aren't supporting WM devices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.