I've installed the Cingular ROM on QTEK 8500

Guest paholman

Guest paholman

After my 2nd hard reset within days I finally got fedup with the lack of support updates for HTC/QTEK, and as the phone was not adopted by any UK Provider, I decided to CID unlock my phone and load the Cingular ROM.

Note: Phones are locked by Carrier ID, and need to be unlocked to load a different Carrier ROM on to it.

This can be done by unlocking the phone for £20 at http://www.imei-check.com

Orange were always good at releasing new ROMs and BUG fixes, but I was very disappointed when they failed to release the SPV F600 in the UK, which meant no ROM support from Orange.

At least the Cingular ROM is released by a network carrier, and likely to be updated and supported for future BUG fixes. It's available on the U.S HTC Website here: http://www.america.htc.com/support/3125/so...-downloads.html

I'll list the features here so anyone can do a comparison (list them if possible) so we can see the main differences with the QTEK, Dopod, iMate or Cingular ROMs

1. More Internal phone storage. (At last!!!) :)

The first thing I noticed was the internal phone storage. After installing the ROM, I was left with massive 13.5MB free. With QTEK and a hard reset, it was barely 12MB

2. ClearVue installed on the ROM. :)

ClearVue is installed on the ROM image, so no loss of phone storage there. Previously, even installing ClearVue in the card uses 2MB of phone storage, but not anymore.

3. Annoying Startup/Shutdown sound. :D

I can't figure out how to stop this. Registry Key updates to these sounds doesn't have any affect.

4. External Date fixed. ;)

Those with the problem in the UK where the date is in US format i.e MM/DD/YYYY, irrespective of Regional Settings will know of this problem. It's fixed with the Cingular ROM. Problem listed here : http://www.modaco.com/External-Date-t247553.html

5. Additional Shortcuts/Programs :D

Cingular Music

This is a short program which can be used to launch Windows Media to play tunes, or launches Internet Explorer to shop for additional tunes or stream.

Options are:

1. Music Player

2. Shop Music

3. Music ID

4. Streaming Music

5. Community

Cingular Mall

A folder containing web shortcuts to shop for software, games, Music, Applications, Multimedia or Graphics

Games > Mobi TV

A web shortcut which takes you to a Live Television site. Looks like another Streaming site which requires subscription.

6. MMS doesn't work direct from Photo of 1MP photo <_<

The 1st and only BUG I found so far is after setting up all my Orange network settings. MMS works fine, either from a new MMS Message or sending direct from Camera. But, when I took a photo that was 1280x1024, and tried to send direct from the camera, sending fails. (the MMS send icon appears, then disappears very quickly, then sending times out.) I've no idea why. It works fine with 640x480.

I played with the Max resolution settings for MMS, but nothing seemed to fix it.

A workaround was to save the photo, then create a new MMS message manually and add the photo. That worked ok.

7. MMSC settings. :)

With the QTEK, there was an additional option of using WAP 1.1 or WAP 2.0, but this is not in the Cingular ROM. Also, Maximum Message Size is set to 300K, and there is no alternatives with the Cingular ROM. There was with QTEK.

8. MMS Composer version :D

Messages > MMS > Menu > 8. Options > 4. Account Options > MMS > Menu > 2. About

Version: MMS Composer Version 3.1.2.12

9. Camera Version :D

Menu > 7. Advanced > 0. About

Version: Camera for Smartphone. Version 4.00 (Build 24354)

10. Still got more phone storage. ;)

After re-loading all my purchased software that I had installed on my QTEK, I still have 8.5 MB of internal Storage available. Previously it bordered on 6MB or lower. It seems obvious that ClearVue installed on the ROM saves approx 2MB of phone storage. Which is great news for all us with only 64MB of internal storage.

11. Bootup appears to be quicker. ;)

On the QTEK ROM, bootup was OK, and the last thing it loaded on the homescreen was the time/date and calendar, and there appeared to be a slight delay for this. With the Cingular ROM there is no delay, so bootup appears to be quicker.

12. Cingular Homescreen. :)

Same as the Windows Default but with Cingular shortcuts. I use my own homescreen so didn't bother look too much into this.

13. GRPS appears to be more stable :D

Perhaps It's just me, but with Orange and the QTEK 8500, GPRS was sometimes hit and miss. Connections sometimes failed, and email took a while before checking username/password. With the Cingular ROM, connection appears to be quicker. It's definitely quicker when checking mail.

I don't use Push Email or Voice Tags so haven't tested these features and would not know if it differed from the QTEK ROM anyway.

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. I had this ROM installed for approx 2 weeks, so far so good, except the MMS bug.

All the versions etc above are taken from the new Cingular ROM, and differences listed are from memory, as I no longer have the QTEK ROM to compare to. If anyone is willing to add their versions from the QTEK 8500 , Imate or Dopod feel free, then we can find the best ROM with the latest features.

I hope you find this info useful :)

Edited by paholman

Guest ddamir

There is even newer Qtek version of ROM that you can find at rapidshare (i can e-mail you a direct link). It is version 3.6.251 distributed by Qtek for model 8500. However, I could not install it because of vender id error. You will probably be able to install it because you have CID unlocked phone. Maybe you can give us review like this one on that version...

Thanks anyway

Edited by ddamir

Guest paholman
There is even newer Qtek version of ROM that you can find at rapidshare (i can e-mail you a direct link). It is version 3.6.251 distributed by Qtek for model 8500. However, I could not install it because of vender id error. You will probably be able to install it because you have CID unlocked phone. Maybe you can give us review like this one on that version...

Thanks anyway

Thanks. I may give it a go, I'm not a RapidShare member so have not been able to download it yet. Besides, it is an offical ROM? If it's official why does Expansys or HTC not have it on their sites/forums?

Do you know if has ClearVue installed on the ROM? If not, then I'd already lose 2MB of phone storage, and don't want that now I've got the extra space.

With the new Cingular ROM, it has altered the Device ID/Serial of the phone for some software (TomTom, Mini Golf 2), so I've had to mail the software vendors for new activation codes and am awaiting these before I backup the phone.

I hope reverting to a previous ROM will not change the Device ID again. I may not be able to request new activation codes if this keeps happening.

I will consider trying other ROMs for reviewing purposes, but I installed Cingular because it is a Network Provider and may release new ROMs in the future.

Edited by paholman

• 1 month later...
Guest frenriqued

:D Paholman,

I am intrigued by your using Cingular 3125 Rom on the Qtek. Has it worked well for you ? Are you still using it? I have 3.6.251.0 on my Qtek and it has worked better than the older one. But I am having trouble with Internet Explorer. Your using ClearVue and saving all that storage sounds good. Very Good! Any other additions to your observations and experience since your last post? Have you had a chance to compare the two Roms? Thanks ;)

Guest frenriqued

Thanks, Moneytoo.

I installed 3125's ROM yesterday, so it's too early to tell. MMS is not working but maybe that's something I have to rehash with T-Mobile, but Internet Explorer is working just fine so far. I have re-installed some of my programs, five so far, and I still have over 11 MB's left in storage. It would be nice to see WM6 for our 8500. But so far and it's only 24 hrs but so far I like this ROM better. Reception is just about the same. So let's keep our fingers crossed that HTC will come through.

Guest paholman
:D Paholman,

I am intrigued by your using Cingular 3125 Rom on the Qtek. Has it worked well for you ? Are you still using it? I have 3.6.251.0 on my Qtek and it has worked better than the older one. But I am having trouble with Internet Explorer. Your using ClearVue and saving all that storage sounds good. Very Good! Any other additions to your observations and experience since your last post? Have you had a chance to compare the two Roms? Thanks ;)

Hi,

Yes, I'm still using the Cingular ROM.

I have had a few crashes, in that it fails to find :MSStart for example, therefore Start won't work. Similar errors with SMS, fails to find :MSInbox. This happens if I do not reboot my phone for days on end. A reboot resolves the problem. I leave my phone on continuously as I need the Alarm, so notice this problem a lot.

I've not had any IE issues, MMS works fine, except the BUG i listed at the start of this post, email works everytime, as does my Fizz Weather Auto Update, which failed on the QTEK ROM. I won't go back to QTEK ROM because of ClearVue already installed with the Cingular ROM, and giving me the extra 2MB internal phone storage. Also because of the other benefits I've listed above, external date fixed etc.

I would like to see Cingular release a new ROM with minor BUGs fixed but I'm much happer with Cingular ROM than QTEK.

I wonder if anyone has tried iMate or Dopod ROMs as I would like to see similar comparisons with these ROMs. I may take the plunge and try another ROM to test, but as I mentioned previously, the device ID changes, so I have to mail my software developers for new registration codes for some purchased software.

If anyone else has already got iMate or Dopod, how does it compare to what I've listed above?

Guest frenriqued
Hi,

Yes, I'm still using the Cingular ROM.

I have had a few crashes, in that it fails to find :MSStart for example, therefore Start won't work. Similar errors with SMS, fails to find :MSInbox. This happens if I do not reboot my phone for days on end. A reboot resolves the problem. I leave my phone on continuously as I need the Alarm, so notice this problem a lot.

I've not had any IE issues, MMS works fine, except the BUG i listed at the start of this post, email works everytime, as does my Fizz Weather Auto Update, which failed on the QTEK ROM. I won't go back to QTEK ROM because of ClearVue already installed with the Cingular ROM, and giving me the extra 2MB internal phone storage. Also because of the other benefits I've listed above, external date fixed etc.

I would like to see Cingular release a new ROM with minor BUGs fixed but I'm much happer with Cingular ROM than QTEK.

I wonder if anyone has tried iMate or Dopod ROMs as I would like to see similar comparisons with these ROMs. I may take the plunge and try another ROM to test, but as I mentioned previously, the device ID changes, so I have to mail my software developers for new registration codes for some purchased software.

If anyone else has already got iMate or Dopod, how does it compare to what I've listed above?

Thanks Paholman,

Its been two days with the Cingular ROM and I am very happy. I won't go back to the Qtek ROM either. Except that I am still having problems with MMS. I brought the resolution down to what you suggested but it just keeps it in the outbox. But otherwise I' very happy. I have put seven of my programs in there with a few more to go, and I still have 11 MB of storage left. Imagine that. beffore I was lucky to have 4 or 5 MB left.

• 2 months later...
Guest paholman

Just installed the latest Cingular ROM 4.1.502.5 to see if any of the BUGS I listed in the original above post above are fixed.

AS it's actually Windows Mobile 5.0 AKU 3.4.2, it should come with .Net Compact Framework SP2 pre-installed.

Other features should be (as listed here :-

- Better integration of SIM / USIM contacts

- Alphabetic sorting of SIM / USIM contacts in contacts list view

- Auxiliary display support native in OS

- Improved 'Internet Sharing'

- Pre-provisioned email accounts

- vCards over SMS

- SMS Multiple Recipient improvements

- Save SMS to SIM

- WMP full screen video on all devices

- Equalizer

- Smart-type search

- Large number of preconfigured email providers (including GMail!)

First obvious thing I noticed is as soon as it's installed, with no other programs installed, the Free Storage available is only 8.59MB :rolleyes: as opposed to the whopping 13.5MB with the previous version, which is very worrying. I checked "Remove Programs", and there is nothing listed to remove so no idea where all the space has gone.

Guest paholman

After spending 2 + hours trying to get MMS to work, same settings I always used, I decided to go back to the previous version.

The loss of 5MB of phone storage was too much for me to accept.

This new version has not shown me any obvious advantages than the previous version.

- For those in the US, it has the new Daylight Saving fix

For the short 2 hours I spent with this ROM version:-

- I couldn't test my MMS bug as couldn't get MMS to work

- No difference with the external display as far as I could see

- Windows Media player looked the same to me

- Contacts had the same options

- It had a nice green Windows Mobile splash screen on boot up

None of the above was worth losing 5MB of phone storage. :rolleyes:

To be honest, my heart wasn't in testing it when Sprite Restore didn't work. I followed the steps here but it failed to recognise my UpgradeData file. I didn't want to spend hours installing all my software, and requesting new registration codes vecause my device id had changed again.

I installed the previous ROM version, and restored my old backup. All works again, and still have 7.5MB free :P .

:D

Guest paholman

nice :rolleyes: I've now got 8.5MB free on the older ROM aftrer following your steps :P Thanks.

Shame these files will re-appear after a hard reset :D

Now, if only I could remove \windows\STARTUP_422.wav which is another 1.89MB, I'd be laffin.

It says it's write protected or perhaps in the ROM.

I still can't see any reason to upgrade though :D .

Does this newer version actually contain anything of any use, or has an advantage over the previous ROM?

Edited by paholman

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roma0803

Thanks paholman for the reports. After 4 months of discussion with the service center about a defect that they wouldn't repair within warranty, I received a brand new one from Dangaard Telecom, who imports HTC devices to the Benelux. Cheers to Dangaard. Now I can use my Qtek 8500 again.

Installed the newest Qtek ROM but was curious about other ROM's. Your posts gave me enough info for now to stick with the current ROM. It is strange though that a European ROM leaves you with more phone memory compared to the current Cingular ROM since there are a lot of translation files in the European ROM.

Any other ROM's around worth mentioning?

• 1 month later...
Guest calvinandhobbes

After having some troubles with my Qtek 8500 I did a CID Unlock and gave the Cingular ROM a try.

I liked the new AKU, no big changes but many small improvements (in the SMS overview you see a send date for every SMS, contacts can be sent via SMS, attachments can be directly detached in the email, ...)

There was only one annoying bug with made me revert to the "old" Qtek 8500 ROM:

After every soft reset (I'm doing a backup every night, so the phone is also resetting every night) the display timeout is apparently set to something like a few seconds, and in the settings it's always at 15 s. So I always needed to change it back to the timeout I need...

Did anyone else also experience this bug?

calvinandhobbes

• 5 months later...
Guest hakan439

I have tried almost all roms on the web on my qtek 8500 (imate rom, qtek rom(came from factory), cingular rom). i-mate rom gave me headaches. it is very slow. cingular rom was very fast but IT RESTARTS ALL THE TIME. I could not figure out whay it restarts the phone. Has anyone figured this out, experienced?