OpenDNS London servers now online

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Do you remember the MoDaCo discussion on speeding up your internet connection by replacing your carrier's DNS servers with some new ones? If not, check out this topic to refresh your memory!

I've been using DNS servers other than my carriers ever since, and just last week OpenDNS dropped me a mail to let me know that their London servers are now online!

From their blog post...

network_map_200701_small.gif
It’s been a long time coming, but we are now online and operational in London! We actually turned up our routing announcements about two days ago but I wanted to hold off on the blog post to make sure everything was stable. Some folks in the forums noticed we were online and beat me to the announcement. :-)

I’ve been using a server in Amsterdam, hosted by my friend Peter, to test how latency changed when London came online. It should be obvious, but the results are very good and show just how important it is for us to be online in Europe.

From Amsterdam to OpenDNS before London goes online:

bash$ ping 208.67.222.222

64 bytes from 208.67.222.222: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=145.077 ms

64 bytes from 208.67.222.222: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=152.962 ms

From Amsterdam to OpenDNS after London goes online:

64 bytes from 208.67.222.222: icmp_seq=0 ttl=58 time=9.814 ms

64 bytes from 208.67.222.222: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=9.528 ms

The ping test above is a measurement of how long it takes one “packet” of Internet data to reach another host on the Internet. Bringing London online dramatically increases our reliability, speed and performance for our European users. Additionally, it decreases load in New York and Washington DC providing a win for our users in the US as well. Finally, the more sites we have, the more reliable our network becomes and that is a win for everyone.

I'm now using the new servers and sure enough, they're lovely and speedy. In fact, i'm now using them on my home broadband connections too... I recommend you give them a go too... check out the getting started page, or if you know what you're doing set your DNS servers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220!

P

Guest kurtfhouse

Tried this and did the tests at the end to make sure OpenDNS was working on my MDA Compact III but it doesn't appear to work, can't figure out why for the life of me as I followed the instructions to the letter including the soft reset????

Guest BawBagg
From Amsterdam to OpenDNS before London goes online:

64 bytes from 208.67.222.222: icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=145.077 ms

64 bytes from 208.67.222.222: icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=152.962 ms

I tried this, and found it slowed my home connection (10MB cable connection with Blueyonder) by about 40ms on a ping to www.yahoo.com.

One thing I don't quite understand from the examples in their blog.... surely OpenDNS is all about faster Domain Name lookup. If you ping an IP address, then no Domain Name lookup is required??

Am I being a bit dumb here??

BB

Guest Christopher Woods

Excellent news!!! I think I might jump over to OpenDNS again (I reverted to the 4.2.2.x DNS servers run by Verizon/GTE/BBN, mainly because they're easier to remember :) but if the performance boost is that much, I'm there. :D

Guest Pandemonium

I've tried these servers on my home broadband connection, but for some reason it slowed down the connection to my email provider's Exchange server - took over a minute to prompt me for a password.

Have just set the servers up on my Vario II though and speeds are pretty good (not connected to this, but for the first time I'm connected on 3G at my workplace - T-Mobile seems to be expanding their 3G network quickly around here).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.