Plugins

Guest Killian

Guest Killian

Hi guys,

I've upgraded from smartphones to PPC now (almost, my MDA Compact III arrives on Fri!) and I have no idea what all this talk about Today Plug-Ins. Looking a peoples postings they sound really cool. Such as having the weather forecase on the front of the phone automatically updated via GPRS!

I don't want to go over the top though and spend loads so does anyone know a site that kind of introduces them to you at a slow rate rather than assuming that I know all about them? I'm sorry if I sound a bit dense but I managed to get my head around smartphone functionality in a few weeks so hope to do the same with PPCs.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance to those who do

:)

Guest Masonary
Hi guys,

I've upgraded from smartphones to PPC now (almost, my MDA Compact III arrives on Fri!) and I have no idea what all this talk about Today Plug-Ins. Looking a peoples postings they sound really cool. Such as having the weather forecase on the front of the phone automatically updated via GPRS!

I don't want to go over the top though and spend loads so does anyone know a site that kind of introduces them to you at a slow rate rather than assuming that I know all about them? I'm sorry if I sound a bit dense but I managed to get my head around smartphone functionality in a few weeks so hope to do the same with PPCs.

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance to those who do

:)

I purchased the same ppc about a week and a half ago, and like you was new to pocket pc. I installed then uninstalled before re-installing lots of software, trying to get the thing to work the way I want it to. Every bit of software listed below is free. I would also install microsofts .net compact framework.

Here is what I would reccommend (so far, someone may correct me).

claunch. You can create shortcuts on the today screen to any apps installed on your device, and I deem that to be essential. Dont wanna go into the start menu every time I need to run something. I would rather have them in the quicklaunch bar at the bottom of the screen (sys tray maybe, quicklaunch, dunno), but I posted about that about 4 threads below this and have had no response.

gprs monitor: It came on the applications cd, and its great. Lets you know that you wont get close to your web and walk allowance unless you stream internet radio.

Total Commander: Its a file explorer that is much improved on the one that comes as standard Double click to enter directories, single to select, keep pressed on for other options like copy and move. it also gives you access to the registry. you will never use the normal file browser after using it.

Weather Watcher Mobile addition. Gives forcasts for pretty much any city world wide on an hourly, daily and weekly basis.

TCPMP: Replacement for windows media player. You need to download codecs with it too, but google it and you will find them all together.

Antivirus software comes on the cd.

I am still looking for software that will allow me to write on the screen and have whatever I write exactly matched in a document, sort of like a drawing program. It would be dead useful for making a really quick note on the fly, instead of typing out on teh keyboard. Everything I search its all about handwriting recognition, I dont want what I write changed.

I am still looking for software that will allow me to write on the screen and have whatever I write exactly matched in a document, sort of like a drawing program. It would be dead useful for making a really quick note on the fly, instead of typing out on teh keyboard. Everything I search its all about handwriting recognition, I dont want what I write changed.

Try Notes Explorer. Not quite a drawing program, but it'll do your notes. Has a few quirks though.

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=5926