Orange SPV M3100 Fault?

Guest MalcolmS

Guest musicinstinct

I think I've been hit with the same problem. I've got an Orange SPV M3100 (HTC TyTN) and as of today it's stopped working on 3G.

The funny thing is that is shows as connected on the Windows Today screen, but I can't make or receive calls or txts. If i go into Phone settings and manually switch to GSM then I can connect fine.

I just spoke to Orange and they told me the network in this area is fine (no reported problems). The recommended course of action is to run in 2G mode for 5 days, then switch back to 3G and see if that's fixed the problem. I'm completely baffeled by this advice. :)

Guest pd.ryder
The recommended course of action is to run in 2G mode for 5 days, then switch back to 3G and see if that's fixed the problem. I'm completely baffeled by this advice. :D

This translates as: "I ain't got a clue, but it sez 'ere you gotta do this..."

Insist they escalate it to Tech Support or call 'em direct on 156 (when you can actually make a call of course :) )

I got a call back from Orange today after technical had gotten back to the guy I spoke with the other day...... their solution..... a replacement handset..... which I of course declined!

They already sent me a replacement last saturday after I first started having the problem.... so what good would another one do... not to mention the fact that I'm not the only one having these problems.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this..... it doesn't look like O are interested.

I got a call back from Orange today after technical had gotten back to the guy I spoke with the other day...... their solution..... a replacement handset..... which I of course declined!

They already sent me a replacement last saturday after I first started having the problem.... so what good would another one do... not to mention the fact that I'm not the only one having these problems.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix this..... it doesn't look like O are interested.

Guest CongoJoe

Ok, Ive been speaking to orange quite a lot about this in the past week and after explaining that its happening to all the 3g smartphone users in my company they are recogniing its a problem with the 3g network. But as it seems to only affect 3g winmo phones they are still trying to figure it out.

The guy dealing with it seems to phone me every couple of days with more questions from their technicians.

In the mean time if you set your phone to use 2g only it should work fine (although obviously slower data and no video calls).

Settings -> Phone -> Band -> Set network type to GSM

I'll post updates as and when i hear back from orange

Guest musicinstinct
Ok, Ive been speaking to orange quite a lot about this in the past week and after explaining that its happening to all the 3g smartphone users in my company they are recogniing its a problem with the 3g network. But as it seems to only affect 3g winmo phones they are still trying to figure it out.

The guy dealing with it seems to phone me every couple of days with more questions from their technicians.

In the mean time if you set your phone to use 2g only it should work fine (although obviously slower data and no video calls).

Settings -> Phone -> Band -> Set network type to GSM

I'll post updates as and when i hear back from orange

I spoke to Orange again today after successfully getting mine to work at home, but then finding it fail again at work. They tell me the network is showing as "degraded" in my area. I was told the estimated time to fix is two days from now.

Guest MalcolmS

well i don't know if this helps anyone else but i finally got my m3100 back from HTC yesterday and have been using it now for just over 24 hours with no repetition of the "No Service" fault. I've been switching connection types and in and out of flight mode with no problem. It's always found Orange service again both here at home and at work.

The despatch note with the phone just stated it had been repaired and doesn't say what that was or what the fault was. I'm afraid I didn't take a note of ROM details or anything like that so can't compare before and after repair.

I did have one strange thing happen though which I don't understand. My WiFi network at home is set up to only allow devices with listed MAC addresses access. I had added the MAC address of my M3100 to the wireless router and it was working ok before i sent it for repair. On return I couldn't connect and the MAC address of the M3100 wasn't listed on my router. As soon as I added it everything worked fine. Strange.

Malcolm

Guest mwright
I did have one strange thing happen though which I don't understand. My WiFi network at home is set up to only allow devices with listed MAC addresses access. I had added the MAC address of my M3100 to the wireless router and it was working ok before i sent it for repair. On return I couldn't connect and the MAC address of the M3100 wasn't listed on my router. As soon as I added it everything worked fine. Strange.

Malcolm

Well if the MAC address on the M3100 is different, might that not indicate that they changed the motherboard at least?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wildfire

i have had this issues with my M5000 for at least the last 2 months.

It would show a good 3G signal, trying to make a call would then cause the phone to go to no service, only after doing a manual network selection would it then make a 3G call, but then at the end of that call it would drop the signal again.

Technical services had me trying everything, including dialling 170 3 times a day so as to get the network to refresh the HLR details, that didn't work.

After giving me 2 replacement phones they decided that the fault lay with the network, one operator called it 'flakey' and 'localised'

I work in Notttingham, South London and Plymouth, all give the same issues, it seems to be countrywide ;)

Why cant they sort out these issues?