GPRS SETTINGS FOR PAY AND GO SIM

Guest salazar23

Guest salazar23

Hi

Does anyone know the settings for activating gprs on the orbit when using a pay as you go sim. I have tried the settings that were working for me on my mini s but they don't seem to work for the orbit. :D

Any help appreciated. Cheers. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest amarko5
Hi

Does anyone know the settings for activating gprs on the orbit when using a pay as you go sim. I have tried the settings that were working for me on my mini s but they don't seem to work for the orbit. :(

Any help appreciated. Cheers. :D

is it activated on the sim card ? ring your operator. also there are settings on the o2 website http://www.o2.co.uk/services/waystoconnect/getsetup ohh i just re read and your pay and go mmmmmhhh don't think o2 do it on pay and go. but a phonecall or a visit to a shop will surely confirm this for you. ;)

Guest zippyioa
is it activated on the sim card ? ring your operator. also there are settings on the o2 website http://www.o2.co.uk/services/waystoconnect/getsetup ohh i just re read and your pay and go mmmmmhhh don't think o2 do it on pay and go. but a phonecall or a visit to a shop will surely confirm this for you. :(

I have just hit the same problem. I bought a sim free XDA Orbit from eBay and got a pay as you go O2 sim which I loaded up with £15 to use for internet , messenger, email and Tomtom traffic updates while I am out and about. I wanted it setup this way as I like to have a seperate dedicated phone to use (currently a K800 on Vodafone contract)

With my O2 PAYG sim fully loaded I went to setup access only to find I couldn't connect. After lots of forum trawling and many attempts at connecting, I made a 20 minute call to O2 customer services. Rather than sorting the problem for me and making me a very happy customer, they have left me feeling very dissapointed with them, the phone and the lack of pre-warning.

It turns out that the XDA Orbit isn't pay as you go compatible when it comes to internet connectivity. Even worse, they can't refund my £15 top-up which I will never use for calls/texts (as I have my Vodafone contract). Basically I am left £15 down and still without a mobile internet connection on my Orbit! :D

The only option I can think of is to use my Vodafone contract sim instead. I will give that a try and see how I get on, but if anyone knows a way to get an O2 pay as you go sim working on an XDA Orbit, I would be VERY grateful if you could post a reply for me! ;)

cheers

Anton

Guest zippyioa
is it activated on the sim card ? ring your operator. also there are settings on the o2 website http://www.o2.co.uk/services/waystoconnect/getsetup ohh i just re read and your pay and go mmmmmhhh don't think o2 do it on pay and go. but a phonecall or a visit to a shop will surely confirm this for you. :(

I have just hit the same problem. I bought a sim free XDA Orbit from eBay and got a pay as you go O2 sim which I loaded up with £15 to use for internet , messenger, email and Tomtom traffic updates while I am out and about. I wanted it setup this way as I like to have a seperate dedicated phone to use (currently a K800 on Vodafone contract)

With my O2 PAYG sim fully loaded I went to setup access only to find I couldn't connect. After lots of forum trawling and many attempts at connecting, I made a 20 minute call to O2 customer services. Rather than sorting the problem for me and making me a very happy customer, they have left me feeling very dissapointed with them, the phone and the lack of pre-warning.

It turns out that the XDA Orbit isn't pay as you go compatible when it comes to internet connectivity. Even worse, they can't refund my £15 top-up which I will never use for calls/texts (as I have my Vodafone contract). Basically I am left £15 down and still without a mobile internet connection on my Orbit! :D

The only option I can think of is to use my Vodafone contract sim instead. I will give that a try and see how I get on, but if anyone knows a way to get an O2 pay as you go sim working on an XDA Orbit, I would be VERY grateful if you could post a reply for me! ;)

cheers

Anton

Guest zippyioa

cheers

Anton

Guest carphead

As far as I know the only PAYG network which will work for Full GPRS is Orange. I've used one for several months when between contracts on my Wizard.

You could try Bluetooth pairing it with your other phone and using that as a dial up modem. No idea if it would work.

Edited by carphead

Guest amarko5

cheers

Anton

you could both try the pay n go cab file from inside this zip

just copy the cab to the phone and run it from fileexplorer

i have no idea if it will work just found it whilst trawling around the web

UK_gprs_settings.zip

Guest zippyioa
you could both try the pay n go cab file from inside this zip

just copy the cab to the phone and run it from fileexplorer

i have no idea if it will work just found it whilst trawling around the web

Hi amark05,

Thanks for the quick reply and for supplying a cab file for us to try!

I installed it and tried to connect. At first it looked like it worked. Loaded Google no problem and found a load of pages related to my search for "test". I thought everything was going well, so I tried a different page (MSN) it too loaded fine :( then I realised that I had the sync cable connected to my phone and that it was using the activesync pass thru to connect! ;)

Left feeling a bit stupid, I unplugged it and tried again using GPRS off the O2 SIM. I loaded up Internet Explorer. The G symbol appeared and I got the two arrows below it showing it was connected, then Google, my homepage, appeared (although it was already in cache from my numpty test a minute ago). Again I searched in google for the word "test 2" and got the following message:

"The page cannot be displayed or downloaded because the connection was lost. Check the connection and try again later."

This was the same message I got when I entered the settings manually yesterday. Looking at the settings made by the cab file, they are the same.

It was worth a try though and your help was very much appreciated!!

If anyone can think of ANY ideas, I am more than happy to try them - I have also tried my Vodafone contract SIM in the phone last night and it worked perfectly. Amazing really, its aan O2 branded phone that isn't O2 PAYG compatible, but it will work on Vodafone!! :D

Guest amarko5
Hi amark05,

Thanks for the quick reply and for supplying a cab file for us to try!

I installed it and tried to connect. At first it looked like it worked. Loaded Google no problem and found a load of pages related to my search for "test". I thought everything was going well, so I tried a different page (MSN) it too loaded fine :) then I realised that I had the sync cable connected to my phone and that it was using the activesync pass thru to connect! ;)

Left feeling a bit stupid, I unplugged it and tried again using GPRS off the O2 SIM. I loaded up Internet Explorer. The G symbol appeared and I got the two arrows below it showing it was connected, then Google, my homepage, appeared (although it was already in cache from my numpty test a minute ago). Again I searched in google for the word "test 2" and got the following message:

"The page cannot be displayed or downloaded because the connection was lost. Check the connection and try again later."

This was the same message I got when I entered the settings manually yesterday. Looking at the settings made by the cab file, they are the same.

It was worth a try though and your help was very much appreciated!!

If anyone can think of ANY ideas, I am more than happy to try them - I have also tried my Vodafone contract SIM in the phone last night and it worked perfectly. Amazing really, its aan O2 branded phone that isn't O2 PAYG compatible, but it will work on Vodafone!! :D

maybe this page is the answer to your problems 2 setups to try http://www.modaco.com/UK-O2-GPRS-Pay-as-Yo...gs-t250327.html

hope this works for you :(