SkinProject: OS X

Guest Jamma14

Guest Moonbow
Installing it was hard and I learned that looking like a mac and behaving like one are totally different. First, expect to NOT see much at all, lots of negative space in the middle that has no real function. Since this is a skin you select the icons on the bottom and it opens the windows app versions of the programs, but the screen changes to that program, meaning programs are not skinned (contacts are skinned though). Furthermore, it eats up like 7MB of the storage of the dash leaving you with 8MB to play with. I've restarted once already after 2 days, forgetting to force quit apps, my fault but still, why do i even have to pay attention to what is open? Close the apps if I'm not using them. This is probably a problem with Windows Mobile in general and not the skin. The skin is graphically fantastic and was fun for a couple of days but it lacked function and form. It's just a mask and nothing else, masking things you actually need, like appointments and the DATE. The iCal icon is a static image of July 12th which I found odd and the Dashboard icon opens a static image that says to look out for new versions of the skin and does nothing close to what the mac dashboard does. Nothing at all, actually.

In conclusion, despite everyone dropping their jaws with this skin I give it two out of four stars, for not considering a more intuitive layout, perhaps with appointments showing and icons of the actual programs MAC STYLE on the bottom instead of Quicktime opening Windows Media and iCal opening Windows Calendar. Seemed odd they would put a top nav bar (ie, FILE/EDIT/VIEW/WINDOW) that does nothing, you cant access and is there for no other reason that to emulate the look of the mac os. Wish it did stuff, or remapped the icons on the design to do things. Even Battery, Storage, Device icons are not clickable but there for design hardly updating. I took the 2 GB SD card out and it still said 2GB on the battery.

WARNING: THIS SKIN ONLY LOOKS LIKE MAC OS X, IT DOES NOTHING MORE THAN CHEAP SKIN WITH NO APPOINTMENTS/DATE

Lol mate, you try doing anything better. There are lots of limits when designing smartphone homescreens and Jamma14 and echostats managed to get round a lot of them, making this screen look awesome - the things you ask for are impossible to do with a homescreen!

It is just a skin - hence it is in the homescreen section..don't go flaming away about the skin when you have no idea what you are talking about! Try to learn homescreen xml and change it to what you think is better and post it up here! I guarantee you will not be able to..

<_<

And aznbllr8 and haben - download both rar (one in this topic, one in download section) files to the same folder on your computer and unrar part1. This will give you instrcutions and all the cabs etc you need to install.

Edited by Moonbow

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brad_in_denver

James, tremendous skin (even though I'm not a Mac guy I like it!).

Question about FontInstaller, I noticed that it gets installed in the \windows\startup folder so it runs at every bootup. Is this necessary, or does it only need to be run once when installing the screen initially?

Thanks again...

Brad

Guest mvaughn

Please reconsider doing a portrait version? I love this theme. I have the Cingular 3125, and will not be getting WM6 for this. If they won't give me WM6, I'll just go Mac ;-)

Edited by mvaughn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nomad33fw

This looks really nice, and I know that phonealarm and facade add functions but they really slow my Dash down. That is what is so nice about project OSX, it doesn't slow my down and looks nice.

I just posted an update to my Mac OS X theme - Leopard. Here is the latest screenshot if you are interested in checking it out (link below):

screen002vz4.jpg

By waltzb at 2007-11-04

http://forums.sbsh.net/index.php?showtopic=18460

This looks really nice, and I know that phonealarm and facade add functions but they really slow my Dash down. That is what is so nice about project OSX, it doesn't slow my down and looks nice.

Thanks. When was the last time you tried them? I know with this theme in particular, pA and facade are the only two things I'm using and less usually means more (in terms of speed). I've experienced zero problems with performance (and much more functionality).

Edited by waltzb

• 1 month later...
Guest vzlateam

I install homescreen, all good until that step but as I install plugin.? and as I install the font? copy files in \windows\font.? the author to create a tutorial with screenshot for intalation and configuration. I have a Moto Q CDMA serves the subject to me?

--INSTALL THE HOMESCREEN (don't select it yet).

copy all files "SkinProject OS" X a "\Application Data\Home" - CORRECT.?

--INSTALL ALL PLUGINS AND FONT INSTALLER.

SINCE I DO THIS?

--(RUN SLICLOCK ON THE PC, RUN CABS ON PHONE).

OKEY.

--RUN THE FONT INSTALLER ON YOUR DEVICE (IN START MENU).

SINCE I DO THIS?

--JUST IMMEDIATELY EXIT IT (PRESS OK - LEFT SOFTKEY).

oKEY

--CHANGE THE HOMESCREEN TO OSX.

oKEY

HELP I NEED THIS THEME IS VERY GOOD

Edited by vzlateam

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cleatus317

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=2062

File Name: SkinProject: OS X

File Submitter: Jamma14

File Submitted: 9 Jan 2007

File Updated: 3 Mar 2007

File Category: QVGA Landscape ( Moto Q )

THE FILE IS NOT BROKEN, DOWNLOAD PART2 IN THE SUPPORT TOPIC!!!

READ THE BLINKING DESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU MARK SOMETHING AS BROKEN!!!

04/02/2007: Forgot to inlcude the Sliclock plugin in the rar!

It is now included..

03/02/2007: SkinProject OS X!

The new version of OS X for landscape smartphones is officially ready for download!

And with the new version, we bring to you a new name: the SkinProject.

Our team members are:

--Jamma14 - xml coder/layout designer

--echostats - graphic designer

And we hope to bring you lots more exciting skins in the future!

As for this release...the new features are:

--New graphics - looks almost identical to OS X now!

--OS X fonts!

--Smartmonitor battery icon changes according to battery power etc!

--All shortcuts in the dock link to files in Storage CardProgram FilesSkinProjectOS XShortcuts, so they are easily customisable!

--Dashboard!

--Missed Calls!

There are probably more too, but that'll do for now.

I'll update this topic with an animated gif tomorrow.

Things to do for the next release (which should take less time :D ):

--Startup/shutdown screens

--Redo dashboard design

--Other suggestions?

We weren't 100% happy with everything in this release but we've kept you waiting so we released it anyway! In particular Dashboard will probably be changed in upcoming revisions - but a note for how it is at the moment: The tasks are customisable - search for "Tasks" in the xml and you can edit each one!

The filesize is slightly over 1Mb (the max MoDaCo dl limit) so you have to download this file, plus the one attached in the first post of the support topic). Read the readme for installation instructions!!

the

SkinProject team

19/01/2007:

Okay, fixed the cab file and made a few other tweaks - hopefully to fix any problems people are having.

The cab should hopefully work with all landscape smartphones now. Please uninstall all previous versions and install the new file.

18/01/2007:

Cab file update, now installs bitmaps to SD Card!

09/01/2007:

First release of OS X for landscape smartphones! Does NOT need the orange plugin! :D

Does require RJShortcut and Smartmonitor, and currently it must be installed manually.

By the way, I apologise for the use of bitmaps but different plugins render jpegs differently and it fuined the dock. But at least I didn't use the orange plugin! :D

Tested on the T-Mobile Dash but should work on all landscape qvga smartphones such as moto q, samsung blackjack etc.

For all you Dash-ers out there enable your JOGGRS! This is what it was made for!

You can download the utility HERE, honestly try it!

I've tried to make really functional and pretty homescreen and it's a good one to impress you're mates.

Would like to hear your feedback... :(

James

www.jammasoft.tk

PLUGINS:

SmartMonitor

RJShortcut

To-do list:

--Extra Screens

--Other suggestions??

Click here to download this file

im really sorry but im new in this kind of things...i have a dash...but how do i install this beautiful theme.....wheres the readme?? sorry and thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest digimancer

This theme sucked and jacked up my Moto Q after tring to change back to my old theme... My active sync would not work and the phone would freeze up after 30+ seconds.. Im sure it was a plugin compatability but be warned... I followed the instructions perfectly and everything installed without a hitch... Until I switched themes...

Guest mintracer

This theme sucked and jacked up my Moto Q after tring to change back to my old theme... My active sync would not work and the phone would freeze up after 30+ seconds.. Im sure it was a plugin compatability but be warned... I followed the instructions perfectly and everything installed without a hitch... Until I switched themes...

[/quote

I will admit i am new to the whole smartphone thing and dealing with homesrceens but this was very easy to install and works perfectly fine on my Blackjack witch is the same platform as the Q so i dont know were you went wrong installing this. It cant be any simpler, try starting from a clean slate.

Guest phanizzle

hi i love the os x theme and i would like to say it looks supurb. unfortunately i am a complete newbie to smartphones and i was just wondering if you wouldnt mind showing me procedures on how to set up this theme? thank you very much!

Guest phanizzle

so i got the theme to work on my phone :) and i was wondering how do you keep it from going back to the default menu after restarting or turning off your mobile in my case the T-Mobile Dash. please help me. 1 more thing not on the topic of this theme is that i bought a 2gb micro sd card and for some reason it does not show up on my phone.why is this? can someone help me with this to format it or how to do it please. thank you!

Guest hydronos

Hey I just installed the theme on my tmobile dash its looking good but it doesnt show missed calls, texts, or voicemails...is that how its supposed to be...i mean i have to scroll to the mail thing on bottom and then look but other than that is there anything else?

Edited by hydronos

Guest PhillyOh

This skin looks tight! I'm new here...just validated finally, lol. But I can't seem to be able to DL the Version 1.2 OSX theme...anyone know why? It says an error has occured and then tells me I'm not allowed to or something...anyone know why that is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...
Guest claydash

I need help. Can anyone walk me through how to install this? I am new at this. I have a Dash and it's unlocked.

Could anyone help please???

Mr. Green Thumb=)

Guest claydash

Im new to this, I don't know where to put all the files. I have a T-Dash. Could you Please help???? I need help step by step installing this.

Please. You Can contact me at [email protected]. My phone is unlocked.

Thanks in advance"

Clay"

This is by far, BY FAR, the best home screen available. I was VERY skeptical because it just looked too good to be true. Well, I have looked and looked and it is 99% perfect. The ONLY thing two things that could make it better is to have the bluetooth logo go to black when bluetooth is activated and the other I am not sure if it's just me or not but when I am not scrolling through the dock, at the top left it says "Home Ser". Not sure why...

Also, and if this is even possible I don't know but this would be the most amazing thing and I am sure you already thought of it... but having the airport actually show the phone signal strength. I will feel real dumb if that is what it's doing because I can't seem to get it to lower but yea.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't wait to show this to everyone!

Guest candlecuts16

Great theme looks incredible you guys are great there's only some problems and suggestions

1)Every time I try to open quick time it tells me "cant find player"(or one of its components) make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the library's are available.

2)Is there anyway to remove the windows bar at the bottom

3)Is there anyway to get notification of voice mail...it only shows text and email

4)Also when you click it goes to comm manager is there any way to adjust that so it opens something else

5)I know this is asking for alot but maybe instead of going to comm manager you could make it go to FILE on the top left and OPEN so that it opens up your office documents...

6)Is there any way to remove the clock at the end or maybe make it a big transparent digital clock with out the post-its(can i adjust what it says on the post its)

7) and the last thing i promise..lol..It shows that there are two parts but part two has the same exact things as part one i wasnt sure if i should also install those. and theres two links to the plugins also on the page which are already inside the first .rar file.......please reply as soon as possible....You guys are doing an excellent job keep up the good work I will make sure to visit your sponsers :D

• 1 month later...
Guest HelloMotoQ9h

Hello, i wana say: amazing skin, But HOW can i change default associations?

Finder - not the standart "File Manager" -> Resco Explorer

Safari - not Internet Explorer, i'm using Opera

iPhoto - Open "pictures and videos" folder in Resco Explorer

iTunes - CorePlayer

QuickTime - i have Error message -> Can't find 'player' (or one of its components).

And last black icon - Time -> change to some popular program.

And i don't have flash memory (miscroSD), and my 'Device' and 'Storage' - shows me same free space, but i will buy miscroSD and Device - will work correctly or not?

Thank you in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.