PocketEngine (NEC's PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16) emulator for Smartphones?

Guest truant

Pocket Engine 1.0b1 from 2001 seems to be the latest release and written for IPAQ. It says:

PocketEngine for IPAQ requires GAPI library from Microsoft to work. You can download the library from www.pocketpc.com. Copy the required GX.DLL into the "Windows" directory of your Pocket PC. Roms (.pce type) should be placed in My documents folder.

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=890

I tried it on my T-Mobile Dash, but was afraid to over-write my existing GX.dll file to see if it would work so I left it alone. When I run the software on my Dash I just get a blank screen and it hangs.

It would be a DREAM COME TRUE to get this to work. Turbografx-16 games (all 200+ of them) are PERFECT for hand held devices. I want to play Military Madness, Bonk's Adventure, Moto Roader, World Court Tennis, Bloody Wolf, etc on my Smartphone. Pleeeeease?

Guest mikeeey
Pocket Engine 1.0b1 from 2001 seems to be the latest release and written for IPAQ. It says:

PocketEngine for IPAQ requires GAPI library from Microsoft to work. You can download the library from www.pocketpc.com. Copy the required GX.DLL into the "Windows" directory of your Pocket PC. Roms (.pce type) should be placed in My documents folder.

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=890

I tried it on my T-Mobile Dash, but was afraid to over-write my existing GX.dll file to see if it would work so I left it alone. When I run the software on my Dash I just get a blank screen and it hangs.

It would be a DREAM COME TRUE to get this to work. Turbografx-16 games (all 200+ of them) are PERFECT for hand held devices. I want to play Military Madness, Bonk's Adventure, Moto Roader, World Court Tennis, Bloody Wolf, etc on my Smartphone. Pleeeeease?

i also get a black screen when running this, but i havnt goten that GX.dll file either cuz idk where to get it. pocketpc.com just goes to microsoft.com looking at pocket pcs.

i also get a black screen when running this, but i havnt goten that GX.dll file either cuz idk where to get it. pocketpc.com just goes to microsoft.com looking at pocket pcs.

If you download the GAPI library from Microsoft's site and unzip it there are a few folders that seem to corralate to the processor your using (ARM for the Dash). The GX.dll file in the ARM folder is a different one than what's on my Dash. Not sure what damage it could cause if I replaced it to test...

Here's the link to download the GAPI library

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...61-e758933d84c4

Edited by truant

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daedalia

Don't bother with that, it's an old emulator and will never work on your device. Try Morphgear, it's a bit old as well but works on my latest device and produces the most faithful emulation of the PC Engine I have seen, can't remember if you have to pay for the PC Engine module, I think it's free. Also try here under PC Engine:

http://www.ppc-welt.info/community/showthread.php?p=193763

It's a comprehensive list of emulators, XPCE is another PCE emulator I use for games that no run in Morphgear (it can be twitchy), it emulates more games, crashes out less but has a sporadic tempo when it comes to the music.

Also I seem to remember Smartgear running them also, in this forum, posted by bitbank.

Oh BTW, GAPI is pre-installed on all modern devices, in the I-Paq days it was not. It's not a good idea to overwrite it and it probably wont make any difference.

Edited by daedalia

Guest PolloLoco

I've yet to find a TurboGrafx emulator that's perfect. Morphgear and XPCE are what I use - and each will be incompatible with a certain number of games. XPCE is actually pretty sweet all around - and is faster than Morphgear. Neither have been updated for a LONG time though.

The only feature I'd like to see - is one that has a turbo button like the original Turbografx system. There's parts where Bonk's Adventure or Bonk's Revenge are useless without being able to use an autofire button.

I'll try out some of the emulators on the above links - hopefully they'll work better.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gigabitfx

i cant get any of the snes emus working from that page even the ones stated to work with wm5, ive got a tmo dash as well, did you have any luck with anything?

• 2 months later...
Guest truant
I've yet to find a TurboGrafx emulator that's perfect. Morphgear and XPCE are what I use - and each will be incompatible with a certain number of games. XPCE is actually pretty sweet all around - and is faster than Morphgear. Neither have been updated for a LONG time though.

I tried all of these and none of them work on the T-Mobile Dash (running WM5). What platform are you running them on?

Does anyone know of a TurboGrafx emulator that works on the Dash?

Guest mikeeey
I tried all of these and none of them work on the T-Mobile Dash (running WM5). What platform are you running them on?

Does anyone know of a TurboGrafx emulator that works on the Dash?

try bitbank's, smartgear. it plays turbographix 16