useful program for up-sizing 176x220 > QVGA

Guest mikeeey

Guest mikeeey
Ehh sorry but. I can't install FrameWork 2.0 on WM2003 device. I don't know where I can find version for WM2003 SP device

How do you did it to work on c550(WM2003)

Sry 4 my english, thanks for replies

no u dont need .net framework 2.0 on ur device, u need it on your computer. i was telling the other guy to put it on his device just to see if it worked, but i dont think it even matters if its on the device or not.

so go to post 15 and get the WM2003 version.

also install .Net framework 2.0 on your pc.

see if that works

@mikeeey

Sorry but I still dont understand. When I try to run GxQvgapatcher.exe i get info:

" This application (GxQvgapatcher.exe) requires a newer version of the Microsoft .NET COMPACT(!!!!) Framework than the version installed on this device"

I can't install framework 2.0 (non-compact) on my computer because I dont have more than 100MB on system partiiton ;) but I still don't know for what, because patcher need COMPACT framework ?

Guest mikeeey
Can someone attach pached worms and write which XG he use..?? I tried to patch, but when i patched i copied XG files (1. then second) it doesn't work..

sry but if i attached the worms exe that would be voilating the rules. since all u need to run worms is the exe i would basicly be posting a full game wich isnt allowed on this forum.

but i can try to help u to get yours to work. when u say it doesnt work, what happens?

Guest mikeeey
@mikeeey

Sorry but I still dont understand. When I try to run GxQvgapatcher.exe i get info:

" This application (GxQvgapatcher.exe) requires a newer version of the Microsoft .NET COMPACT(!!!!) Framework than the version installed on this device"

I can't install framework 2.0 (non-compact) on my computer because I dont have more than 100MB on system partiiton ;) but I still don't know for what, because patcher need COMPACT framework ?

wait idk if im reading that right but u cant install it on ur PC cause u dont have enough room? (100MBs?)

is it saying u need it on your computer or your phone?

Guest zwonkopl
sry but if i attached the worms exe that would be voilating the rules. since all u need to run worms is the exe i would basicly be posting a full game wich isnt allowed on this forum.

but i can try to help u to get yours to work. when u say it doesnt work, what happens?

My engilsh is bad, and it will be difficult to understand me. I've pactched worms, copied files and when i start with worm.exe or shortcut in the strart menu, it stops on JAMDAT (loading of worms).

Propably you can send me WORMS.EXE to my email?? ;) zwonko(monkey)gmail.com

Guest mikeeey
My engilsh is bad, and it will be difficult to understand me. I've pactched worms, copied files and when i start with worm.exe or shortcut in the strart menu, it stops on JAMDAT (loading of worms).

Propably you can send me WORMS.EXE to my email?? ;) zwonko(monkey)gmail.com

u sure u havnt added the right XG.dll file into your folder?

and btw ur english really isnt bad at all. i wouldt have known it was bad if u wouldnt have said so

• 1 month later...
Guest mikeeey

o no! all of my uploaded files were deleted a month back and i had re uploaded them again, but i no longer have this program on my desktop. does somebody have it and can give it to me to re upload?

nvm i got it back now =)

Edited by mikeeey

• 1 month later...
Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi all just to let you know the following games all patched successfully

ArkaBall

Foo Fighter

G-Prime

Li-Nuggz

The following either did not patch or did not work after patching

Free Bubbles

Gringo's

Invasion

Lejjo

Links

Smartanoid

Smart Solitaire

Snails

Trick Soccer

Waterman

Edited by Dr_StrangeTrick

Guest mikeeey
Hi all just to let you know the following games all patched successfully

ArkaBall

Foo Fighter

G-Prime

Li-Nuggz

The following either did not patch or did not work after patching

Free Bubbles

Gringo's

Invasion

Lejjo

Links

Smartanoid

Smart Solitaire

Snails

Trick Soccer

Waterman

thanks ill add those working ones to the list. i thot li-nuggz was QVGA tho?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Menneisyys

Excellent thread! I’ve made a tutorial of it to make the life of newbies easier; feel free to for example link it in from the starting post.

Ever wanted to know how you can use low-res (176*220) titles on your hi-res (240*320) QVGA Smartphone?

If you have a QVGA Smartphone like the HTC Vox / s710, you know well enough that most existing games and other graphics-based Smartphone apps (Windows Mobile 6 Standard) out there only use a postage-stamp sized screen area. An example of this is PDAMill’s Flux Challenge, which, being designed for the traditional low-res (176*220) Smartphone resolution, only uses part of the available QVGA screen estate:

QVGASmartphoneHackMain.bmp.png

There were no widely known solutions for the problem. Some developers announced support for QVGA devices (for example, that of Cell Doom – see announcement HERE), but the most (including PDAMill) didn’t.

Fortunately, an excellent White Russian coder has come up with a generic solution, which not only makes it possible to run MANY (but not all!) games at full screen, but, in cases, also lets for using real (!) QVGA resolution with some titles (for example, emulators).

Downloading, installing

Go to this MoDaCo thread and download the ZIP file attached to the first post. You’ll need to register as a forum user if you aren’t able to access it. If you don’t want to bother with it, I’ve also uploaded the file to my database back-end; it’s HERE.

After this, just unZIP it and start GxQvga Patcher.exe. Should you encounter an error message complaining about the lack of the .NET Framework 2, you will need to download it HERE (note that some stated it only requires 1.1. I haven’t checked whether they’re right. The latter is accessible HERE.)

Using

This patcher app runs on the desktop, NOT on the Smartphone. This means you must transfer the main EXE file of the game / emulator / app you’d like to make use of the QVGA screen to your desktop computer first. To do this, use for example Total Commander with the CE file system patch (see THIS for an explanation of installing it) or, if you don’t want to bother, just the “Explore” button of ActiveSync.

Transfer the main EXE files (but nothing else) of the apps / games you’d like to patch to the directory of where the above-mentioned, just decompressed GxQvga Patcher.exe resides.

Now, start GxQvga Patcher.exe. It will present you a dialog:

qvgapatcherMain.bmp.png

In there, click “Select exe file to patch...". Now, select the EXE file you’d like to patch:

FileSelectedToPatch.png

After letting it go on, you’ll be presented a message telling you the patching was successful:

FileSelectedToPatch2.png

Now, all you need to do is:

1. Copy the patched EXE file back to your MS Smartphone, making sure you overwrite the original EXE file

2. Go to the QVGA subdirectory on your desktop (just under the directory where GxQvga Patcher.exe resides), and copy XG.dll to the same directory on your smartphone

3. Start the game / app to see whether it worked; answer Yes to the message.

4. If the game / app still only uses 176*220 (and not the full screen), exit it and go to the SCALE (NOT the previous QVGA!) subdirectory on your desktop, and copy XG.dll to the same directory on your smartphone and copy XG.dll to the smartphone, making sure you overwrite the previously copied QVGA XG.dll. Now, start the game on your Smartphone. Hope it’ll use the full screen. If it still doesn’t do this, then, nothing can help, I’m afraid.
Examples of the before-after cases

PocketHobbitSP2003 (as of the current, Alpha 11 version) doesn’t support QVGA devices. As can be seen in the following screenshot, without patching, it only uses a stamp-size screen area in Portrait mode on QVGA devices:

c64EmuDefaultStamp.bmp.png

After the patch and using the QVGA DLL, it becomes much bigger and, what is even more important, makes use of the full horizontal screen reoslution – that is, 240 pixels, resulting in MUCH more readable text:

PatchedSEQVGAP.bmp.png

Incidentally, with the SCALE DLL, it also fills in the entire screen horizontally, BUT only upscaling the original, 176*132 rendition resulting in a MUCH inferiour real resolution & readability:

PatchedSPVersionScaleDLLQVGAPortrait.bmp.png

This is why I’ve emphasized you MUST give a try to the QVGA DLL first and only give a try to the SCALE one when the former doesn’t deliver any results.

Recommended link

This MoDaCo thread discusses the converter at length. A MUST!

Guest Menneisyys
try the XG.dll in the SCALE folder, it seems to work best for me, if that doesnt work then try the XG.dll in the QVGA folder.

Note that the QVGA version may result in real resolution increase with some kinds of non-bitmap-based apps like emulators - see my comparative screenshots above.

Guest johncody
Note that the QVGA version may result in real resolution increase with some kinds of non-bitmap-based apps like emulators - see my comparative screenshots above.

This hack doesn't seems to work on my WM6 "landscape" qvga dash smartphone device - celldoom is unplayable after the mod.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El Matarife

What a great find! This little app will certainly add some new QVGA life to some old favs of mine.

Menneisyys - thanks for the tutorial and the updated news about CellDoom QVGA. I've always found CellDoom to be by far the most stable Doom smartphone port (it seems even more stable IMO under WM6), its great that the QVGA revolution is resulting in it being updated!

Guest mikeeey
What file in the .zip is cell doom? I can't find it

at one point everything on modaco i had every uploaded was deleted, so when i re uploaded this i dont think i included celldoom in here again.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Barabbas

A reminder/hint to the guys still having problems with patching Worms. There are TWO wwp.exe.. One in the "JAMDAT" folder under "Program Files" and the other one, which you are supposed to patch, under "WWP", located directly on the root of the device.

Dont know why it is like this. Seems a bit weird to me, since it looks like it takes more space on the device this way..?

And btw, I used the SCALE XG.dll on my HTC S710, and it worked satisfyingly :)

Guest mrmond

link for C550 file not working.

Tried patching with xg.ddl file that I thought was for C550 and when patched file put back on phone says not a valid application ?

• 1 month later...

Awsome application, i patched Worms world party and Midtown Madness and worked like CHARM! Realy simple too use! The only thing is that once the app is patched the graphic games are not that smooth in commparrasion to the original size, but thats a oviouse fact! :D

Nice Post! :D :wub:

Note.- I used a Cingular 2125, to the guy having problems patching worms, if u whant i can upload teh patched version to see if it works!

Greetings! ;)

• 4 months later...
Guest 1000101

I need help with this...I have a WM6 I607 Blackjack and every time I try to patch CellDoom, it patches. When I put t onto my phone and run it, it fills the screen but it is chopped up into five different screens. It basically runs but really messed up. I put the XG.dll file into the folder. What am I doing wrong. It should work for celldoom. Is the problem with my phone?

Edited by 1000101

Guest mikeeey
I need help with this...I have a WM6 I607 Blackjack and every time I try to patch CellDoom, it patches. When I put t onto my phone and run it, it fills the screen but it is chopped up into five different screens. It basically runs but really messed up. I put the XG.dll file into the folder. What am I doing wrong. It should work for celldoom. Is the problem with my phone?

i think so, it may just simply be cause you have a landscape screen, maybe someone with a blackjack or motorola Q or other landscape device can confirm this?