Microsoft to revamp branding for Windows Mobile 6?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

PocketInfo.nl (via EngadgetMobile) are reporting here that Microsoft look set to revamp their branding around Windows Mobile 6 (which we all currently know as Crossbow), to take a considerable step towards ridding the world of the Smartphone / Pocket PC distinction... in effect killing off these naming conventions altogether.

PocketInfo claims that the new OS, that looks set to be unveiled at 3GSM later this month, will be referenced by the following names:

• Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone becomes Windows Mobile 6 Standard
  • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC Phone Edition becomes Windows Mobile 6 Professional
  • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC becomes Windows Mobile 6 Classic

A brave move by Microsoft if it does turn out to be the case... I think it's somewhat unfortunate that some excellent 'Smartphone' devices coming down the line get turned overnight into the 'lower spec' items, when in fact they (in the case of the Excalibur for example) might turn out to be the superior serious business tool.

What are your thoughts? :)

P

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

That half the WM users in the world dont realise theres a difference between SP and PPC anyway! It'll all be irrelevant once Photon arrives... :)

Guest sporkguy

I need to get back into the WM Community - I've been out for so long, and I'm craving a new device (can you believe I've had a K800i since August. I've NEVER had a phone this long!)

WM6 looks promising though, from the rumours :) Roll on Valentines day (double YAY because my gf thinks it's a farce and refuses to let me buy her pressies.. jackpot :D)

Guest Panthro
PocketInfo claims that the new OS, that looks set to be unveiled at 3GSM later this month, will be referenced by the following names:
  • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Smartphone becomes Windows Mobile 6 Standard
  • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC Phone Edition becomes Windows Mobile 6 Professional
  • Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC becomes Windows Mobile 6 Classic

A brave move by Microsoft if it does turn out to be the case... I think it's somewhat unfortunate that some excellent 'Smartphone' devices coming down the line get turned overnight into the 'lower spec' items, when in fact they (in the case of the Excalibur for example) might turn out to be the superior serious business tool.

What are your thoughts? :)

P

Um don't you mean Cavalier instead of Excalibur?! I am so HOOKED on the Cavalier I do hope HTC brings this out or the WINGS is stylish enough and follows the standard version.

Hello everybody long term lurker soon to be an active member.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.