OFFICIAL: Windows Mobile 6 is coming!

Guest PaulOBrien

Fixed.

Battling server issues atm too :)

P

OOH very nice,

Do we know if they fixed the thing with Windows Messenger Live uploading all your MSN contacts to the phone book ?

I have just played around with a Symbol MC70 WM5 device with WML on it and I hate the fact that you cant keep the contacts from syncing. The problem I have with that is I would think they will get synced to my outlook or lotus note address book if I sync with them. Not very nice and there is loads of duplication that takes place if you do that. GRRR - You can stop the sync of contacts with the email functionality of WML so why not with the IM client too ? :D

I do hope they sort that out then WML will be a killer app.

Guest Paul (MVP)
OOH very nice,

Do we know if they fixed the thing with Windows Messenger Live uploading all your MSN contacts to the phone book ?

I have just played around with a Symbol MC70 WM5 device with WML on it and I hate the fact that you cant keep the contacts from syncing. The problem I have with that is I would think they will get synced to my outlook or lotus note address book if I sync with them. Not very nice and there is loads of duplication that takes place if you do that. GRRR - You can stop the sync of contacts with the email functionality of WML so why not with the IM client too ? :)

I do hope they sort that out then WML will be a killer app.

That all works fine now, you can turn it off, but still enjoy the 'presence' benefits.

P

Guest Socrates

Exchange 2007 REQUIRED? Seriously?

That is a nightmare, and very silly thing to require. They really should have made it compatible with 2003. Businesses are very reluctant to upgrade Echange. It's too critical, and once it's working perfectly, people like to leave it the heck alone. Exchange 2003 was a buggy mess until the first service pack.

In small businesses, they mostly buy Small Business Server, which costs them a couple grand to get installed and configured. They generally don't ever upgrade those boxes, instead they ride them hard for 5 or 6 years then replace them.

Guest Socrates
E2k7 required for some featuers like HTML mail, flagging etc.

P

Ok, maybe I'm confused or something here.

Above it says: "Exchange 2007 required for Exchange mail". That sounds to me like if you want to sync with Exchange, it has to be 2007.

Will a WM6 device be able to sync with an Exchange 2003 server or not? Will it be able to receive push mail from an Exchange 2003 server or not?

A bit confused.

Edited by Socrates

Ok, maybe I'm confused or something here.

Above it says: "Exchange 2007 required for Exchange mail". That sounds to me like if you want to sync with Exchange, it has to be 2007.

Will a WM6 device be able to sync with an Exchange 2003 server or not? Will it be able to receive push mail from an Exchange 2003 server or not?

A bit confused.

HTML email support across all account types (Exchange 2007 required for Exchange mail, POP / IMAP / Windows Live mail supported)

I reckon it means for HTML mail on pocket outlook you need exchange 07.

Non-HTML mail should be fine with exch 03 etc

so when this is out im guessing wel be able to update our WM5 devices to WM6 right?

It's all guess work at the min as whether an upgrade is provided is usually down to the operator or manufacturer (is its contract free) but in general they don't provide an upgrade (at least very few did (any?) when WM5 was released.

After all, if they don't provide an upgrade and people want WM6 then you'll have to BUY a new phone! Money in the bank (for them :) )

It's all guess work at the min as whether an upgrade is provided is usually down to the operator or manufacturer (is its contract free) but in general they don't provide an upgrade (at least very few did (any?) when WM5 was released.

After all, if they don't provide an upgrade and people want WM6 then you'll have to BUY a new phone! Money in the bank (for them :) )

I wonder if any of the operators will have the sense/courage/imagination to offer WM6 as a non-phone related upgrade even at a (small) charge, a little like a service pack upgrade?

If I understand correctly the phone component can be the most expensive part of the operator's deal when getting and keeping customers....it strikes me that to in helping to avoid customer churn and keeping costs down if you can keep the device constant but offer the improvements that revised software offers that should be a valuable offering.

Much like PC have been doing for years - for the most part you can often get through a couple of major OS changes before needing to change the whole device. Minor improvements even service packs normally don't need a whole device change at all.

I wonder if they would consider...guess it matters where they have the most cost of the most potential revenu stream...

Wonder what makes up the largest % of smartphone/ ppc devices. "Normal" users ie consumers or Corporate/ Business users?

If its the latter, they could drum up sales with some good advertising about the benifits of WM6 to you're business. I think most "Normal" people wouldn't care much about thay

(Note: I wouldn't class MODACO members as Normal consumer users we in general want to get the most from our devices)

Guest tsutton
Do we know if they fixed the thing with Windows Messenger Live uploading all your MSN contacts to the phone book ? I have just played around with a Symbol MC70 WM5 device with WML on it and I hate the fact that you cant keep the contacts from syncing.

I was told it has been changed in the next release, where we can choose to have it sync'ed or not.

Guest mikeeey
Technically possible yes, but that doesn't mean Samsung will provide an update.

P

another thing i wondered. u guys know how on pocket pcs you can only touch 1 thing at a time on the touch screen? is this something that can be fixed in the software or is it a hardware issue? id be so happy if i were to get a ppc and upgrade it to WM6 and find that i can now make multiple presses on the screen =).

another thing i wondered. u guys know how on pocket pcs you can only touch 1 thing at a time on the touch screen? is this something that can be fixed in the software or is it a hardware issue? id be so happy if i were to get a ppc and upgrade it to WM6 and find that i can now make multiple presses on the screen =).

you've been watching too many Steve Jobs webcasts :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.