XDA orbit mapping gps

Guest simonbratt99

Guest simonbratt99

hi guys

i have co pilot which is fine but....

id love an app that actually shows you proper maps like the OS mapping, preferably working with the GPS signals

I go walking int he forest and would love to be able to track my walking and positions

Has anyone seen any proper mapping for the pocket pc? preferably free but i dont mind paying for a good one

Thanks

simon

Guest doublehard

Yes I've got memory pad software on mine. its not cheap though but its excellent and does exactly what you want. You pay for the desktop version and install it. Then you plug in your Orbit to your PC and select send to pda. It then installs a cab file (I think) which you run and it install the software on your phone. Then you go to the area you want to go for a walk and get a nice zoomed out view and select send map to PDA and select current view. That way the file is very small (the whole of Lincoln City was only 11 mb!). Then run the software on the phone, set up your GPS (NMEA on port COM4:). Then go outside and wait...... click the padlock (which locks the gps position to the map) and the screen centres on your position on a perfect OS map. It really is amazing (only did this last weekend and am still fascinated by it).

Unfortunately, now for the negatives...... the software is £100+ for a large region.

Guest simonbratt99

thanks guys that sounds great

Can it draw a line on where youve walked? so you can see where youve been?

£100 is steep i only want the new forest lol

simon

Guest simonbratt99

thanks guys that sounds great

Can it draw a line on where youve walked? so you can see where youve been?

£100 is steep i only want the new forest lol

simon

Guest simonbratt99

Ive just tested memory map, its good.

The 3D thing doesnt work on the pocket pc , or i just cant see it on the trial.

Also £100 for the New Forest map, honestly theres no way id ever justify paying that!!

There must be a cheaper option

simon

Guest simonbratt99

google maps for mobile is pretty awesome (UK)

BUT no caching available yet so expensive on gprs but great fun on Wifi

Edited by simonbratt99

Guest doublehard

:D whoops :) yes I meant memory map. And yes it will draw a line of where you have been. When you've finished you can then select the line (track) you've just laid and it will show you an elevation profile (looks nice if you've done some hill walking in the peak district, it will show average speed, max speed and distance etc. Really is fantastic but is it worth £100??? I don't know (my missus got me it for a christmas pressy :D ) I will use the software on the pc to make the walk I want to do and print out a 3d map, transfer the track to the phone then go. At least then i've got the map if my phone breaks.

Guest simonbratt99

hi

just phoned memory map and they offered me the whole of the south of england @ 1:50,000 for £50

that sounds better but i need to check how 1:50,000 looks

:-)

Guest doublehard

1:50,000 is what I've got and its fine, you can realistically find and use all public footpaths with that level of detail. I got my version for Christmas a couple of years ago and used it with a portable GPS unit, which was rubbish compared to the Orbit.

Guest Qwerty_uk

A cheaper (but more work intensive) option is to get OziExplorerCE, the PocketPC version of the OziExplorer software. This doesn't come with maps, but you can convert and use any image as a map (eg. a scan of a paper map, or a capture from multimap/google etc).

As I say, it's more work getting the maps and calibrating them. I've done major road maps for the whole of the UK, and street-level maps of Birmingham & London, and then I just make smaller OS ones for walks when I need them.

This is all on XDA mini S. Will surely work on Orbit (etc). too.