Vario II - 3G connectivity broken

Guest MikeZ

Since last Thursday I've been having 3G connectivity problems with my Vario II. It establishes a 3G connection OK - the signal bars change to "3G" signal bars, but when I try and actually do anything it cannot connect. IE just says "locating...", POP3 connections time out.

If I force it into GPRS only mode everything works fine. It's just when I re-enable 3G that it fails to connect. I've tried various things - even a complete factory reset but it hasn't fixed it.

Incidentally, I have tried my SIM in a Sony-Ericsson 3G handset and that works fine on 3G.

Anybody else affected by this?

Thanks,

Mike.

Guest beermonster65
Since last Thursday I've been having 3G connectivity problems with my Vario II. It establishes a 3G connection OK - the signal bars change to "3G" signal bars, but when I try and actually do anything it cannot connect. IE just says "locating...", POP3 connections time out.

If I force it into GPRS only mode everything works fine. It's just when I re-enable 3G that it fails to connect. I've tried various things - even a complete factory reset but it hasn't fixed it.

Incidentally, I have tried my SIM in a Sony-Ericsson 3G handset and that works fine on 3G.

Anybody else affected by this?

Thanks,

Mike.

yes mate i have exactly the same problem, its not the network as i can stand next to a colleague with the same handset and his works fine, mine used to work fine till i had it swapped out due to a faulty backlight, talk about out of the fire anyone got any ideas, dont fancy ringing tech support as i dont fancy my chances of success

I've had the same but it's been intermittant, I thought it was a network issue as I left it and then came back to it and it would work again. I get the distinct feeling that T-Mob play with their network alot which is why my 3G can be great one day and extremely poor the next in the same location with the almost the same signal strength.

If it's not a network issue then the hermes software is more flawed than most think. To be honest I think an issue like this you'd have more success talking sense into a labour PM than getting to the bottom of it.

If it's not a network issue then the hermes software is more flawed than most think. To be honest I think an issue like this you'd have more success talking sense into a labour PM than getting to the bottom of it.

I went somewhere I had never been with the Vario last night and it worked on 3G just fine. Got home and it was broken again. Went back to the other location and it was working. So, I spoke to the "technical" team at T-Mobile. They are still convinced it's a handset fault (which I suppose it is in the general sense). So the only option I have been given is to take it to my nearest T-Mobile store to get it sent away for repair :)

Guest EyEwitness

I've been having the same problems with my vario 2. it has been working fine for 2 months, then last monday it started timing out on the 3G connection. I have a call open with T-Mobile who said they have a lot of reports about 3G problems with the Vario 2 and are working on it! On the phone to them for the 3rd time this week as i type this, at least they called me back! I'll let you know if i get any good news.

edit: They have now said they are noticing a high number of dropped connections/calls on the cells I have been connecting to (for both myself and other mobiles) and believe there is some problem with the cells or congestion in the network somewhere. They said its definately not a handset problem. Which would be good, but in the last week I have been across most of south england from Bristol to london, and its not worked anywhere, so it must be a serious network problem if it is that. There is still a call out, and I should be getting a call back next week.

Edited by EyEwitness

Thanks EyEwitness. I'll not bother taking mine in for repair.

Just been looking at all the ROMs available for the Hermes. Has anybody actually upgraded theirs from the T-Mobile ROM to, say, the Hermes 1.35 ROM? I wonder if this would help the 3G problem?

I suppose the only problem is getting back to the T-Mobile ROM if you decide you don't like it. Plus the fact that it voids the warranty, but that doesn't seem to be worth much, anyway...

Guest JPHCCFC
Thanks EyEwitness. I'll not bother taking mine in for repair.

Just been looking at all the ROMs available for the Hermes. Has anybody actually upgraded theirs from the T-Mobile ROM to, say, the Hermes 1.35 ROM? I wonder if this would help the 3G problem?

I suppose the only problem is getting back to the T-Mobile ROM if you decide you don't like it. Plus the fact that it voids the warranty, but that doesn't seem to be worth much, anyway...

Ive been having the problem with my vario and its definately handset specific as I went in to Tmobile and he had no problems with his sim in his handset then when he put it into my handset had the same issues! A guy over in xda forums has said that he resolved his issue by disabling HSDPA but i had no success with that! Ive been tempted to try a new rom but will probably wait until HTC release their official aku 3.3 rom!

About 5mins ago I couldn't connect to the internet at all, it kept trying repeatedly before giving up.

Shortly after that I got a network message, I rebooted the device (it didn't ask me too but I do just as a rule of thumb) and my internet connection seems to be responding a bit faster, anyone else get a message?

Will keep testing it today to see if it was a message just for this cell I'm currently in, got to roam about about a bit today for work anyway.

Edited by Rob.P

OK, well I have now proved that my handset isn't faulty. I unlocked it using pof's unlocker and stuck my Vodafone 3G SIM in it. It connects to Vodafone 3G just fine and it's *fast*. Stuck the T-Mobile SIM back in and it can't make any connections again.

So it's T-Mobile's poxy 3G network :) Only thing is how to convince them. I suppose if enough people have been complaining then they will eventually get round to doing something about it.

Mike.

Guest Buddhaah
OK, well I have now proved that my handset isn't faulty. I unlocked it using pof's unlocker and stuck my Vodafone 3G SIM in it. It connects to Vodafone 3G just fine and it's *fast*. Stuck the T-Mobile SIM back in and it can't make any connections again.

So it's T-Mobile's poxy 3G network :) Only thing is how to convince them. I suppose if enough people have been complaining then they will eventually get round to doing something about it.

Mike.

Could it be that it's a combination of the handset being unstable AND the network having issues? I am inclined to say that the complaints I have read about this handset are really very varied. Some pinpoint the handset as source of all troubles, some - like you - have pretty strong evidence that it is due to the way T-Mobile operate their network. Odd.

As to convincing T-Mobile: My p.o.v. is that they need to be told over and over that something's wrong. From my experience, it's the only way to get any mobile phone provider to act.

Edited by Buddhaah

Could it be that it's a combination of the handset being unstable AND the network having issues? I am inclined to say that the complaints I have read about this handset are really very varied. Some pinpoint the handset as source of all troubles, some - like you - have pretty strong evidence that it is due to the way T-Mobile operate their network. Odd.

Yes, I think it's a bit of both. If I put my T-Mobile SIM into my mate's K800i it appears to work on 3G even when the Vario II won't connect. Maybe the K800i can fall back to GPRS on the fly whereas the Vario can't and just gives up.

My 3G has been stable when available and switching smoothly to GPRS fine since the sim message. I'm definately sure T-Mob are mucking around with thier network alot (obviously trying to do improvements of some sort).

(Although the worrying thing is I did drop my phone earlier and it hit hard enough to scuff the edge, hopefully that isn't responsible for my phone behaving itself for the rest of the day :) )

Guest euni2john

I had an interesting chat to a customer service gentleman from T-mobile who was also a techie and he said T-mobile had just been running their test 3 G cells mainly around urban centres whilst they were going to gradually introduce their other 3G cells for switch on through out the year, they were bringing them on line before the end of March. He acknowledged that the 3G problem was a result of 2 500 000 3G handsets bought rather than the anticipated 100 000. When I have a good 3G signal I rarely get a lock up it is the transition to gprs or a weak 3G signal that seem to cause me problems.

I've now got a bit further with this - last night it did actually connect to a web site (http://whatismyip.com - small page, should load quickly) but it was extreeeemely slow and timed out half way through loading the page. This morning it's back to saying "page cannot be found". Stuck my Voda SIM in it again last night and was using HSPDA which was unbelievably fast :)

I bit the bullet and flashed it to the latest HTC test firmware and Radio 1.27 which is how I knew it was using HSPDA (H instead of U or G). Even with this latest code, it's no better on T-Mobile 3G (apart from over the other side of town where 3G works fine).

Guest timfernau

What a relief to find this thread! I have had the exact same intermittent, by mainly broken, data problem with my Vario II on T-Mobile.

One interesting side effect which isn't mentioned here is that I found my phone was running down the battery incredibly quickly, within 3-4 hours. I have push email enabled and am now certain that the lack of data connectivity whilst continually trying to sync with Exchange is the cause of the battery problem.

I have also had no luck with tech support and even sent my phone to be repaired. This process was much better than expected by the way, I sent the phone on Wednesday (using the prepaid envelope etc I was sent) and got it back on Friday morning - the data issue is not fixed but the VERY annoying whistling from my screen is no more :-)

Anyway, I am now convinced that it is a 3G network issue, (although seemingly confined to certain cells, I'm urban by the way) and not the handset. Any ideas how we can get T-Mobile to fix the problem?

Guest marisa4755
About 5mins ago I couldn't connect to the internet at all, it kept trying repeatedly before giving up.

Shortly after that I got a network message, I rebooted the device (it didn't ask me too but I do just as a rule of thumb) and my internet connection seems to be responding a bit faster, anyone else get a message?

Will keep testing it today to see if it was a message just for this cell I'm currently in, got to roam about about a bit today for work anyway.

I got a text message on 15th called pers and text was "Network message, please delete!"

Since then, it seems to connect quicker and is faster in operation.

I asked T-Mobile to enable HSPDA on my account, which they did. This appears to have fixed the 3G connectivity issue, too - it's working fast everywhere that it wasn't before. I first noticed that it was working when the "U" changed to "H" and a load of push e-mails came through from my Exchange server :)

So, happy for the time being...

Guest Christopher Woods
I got a text message on 15th called pers and text was "Network message, please delete!"

Since then, it seems to connect quicker and is faster in operation.

I also had a network message around the same time, thought nothing of it because I've not been having any problems (well, more than usual!) but it's interesting to see that it might be related to wider issues. 3G signal ain't perfect, even in the centre of Brum (though it is bloody fast when I get a decent signal!)... I'll be keeping my eye on this thread from now on.

Guest fatbutcher

Anyone else had any joy with this issue? I'm having exactly the same trouble at my home location, but when I go to work in Milton Keynes works flawlessly!

Currently waiting for T-mobile to get back to me.

Guest AdWright
I asked T-Mobile to enable HSPDA on my account, which they did. This appears to have fixed the 3G connectivity issue, too - it's working fast everywhere that it wasn't before. I first noticed that it was working when the "U" changed to "H" and a load of push e-mails came through from my Exchange server ;)

So, happy for the time being...

What Rom/radio version are you running? I've installed the HTC AKU3.3 rom (2.05.255.1) and have radio version 1.16.00.00 and don't get the H icon (I have HSDPA enabled on my account).

Guest timfernau
Anyone else had any joy with this issue? I'm having exactly the same trouble at my home location, but when I go to work in Milton Keynes works flawlessly!

Currently waiting for T-mobile to get back to me.

I've just got off the phone with T-Mobile having been asked to provide them with examples of times and locations where 3G wasn't working.

No solution as yet unfortunately (other than switching to GSM) but the guy from T-Mobile did say that he has had a number of calls with the same problem today and that the engineers are looking into it. Fingers Crossed!

I am having the same issues.. i used to have no problems connecting anywhere.. I am now having difficulty connecting to 3G in certain areas where once it was not a problem.

Is someone has Vario II 3G network settings, could you post them please?

Thanks.

Benzo

Edited by benzo

What Rom/radio version are you running? I've installed the HTC AKU3.3 rom (2.05.255.1) and have radio version 1.16.00.00 and don't get the H icon (I have HSDPA enabled on my account).

ROM: 2.05.255.1

Radio: 1.27.00.00

It only seems to show the H when a network connection is made, e.g. connecting to a mail server or going to a web site - other times it just shows U.

Guest beermonster65

well i get strong 3G where i live and internet, but where i work 10 miles away get 2 bars 3G voice ok but no internet just stuck on locating so it must be the network