MS shut down xda-developers ROM archive [merged]

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hopefully this will all end with the release of WM6 as it will contain a "Windows update" feature that will take away the operator from having to release AKU updates etc... This should make it like any other phone with the operator just customising the original look and feel of the phone as well as specific settings.

Er, no... The Windows Update is implemented at the discretion of the Operator, and to the degree that the Operator chooses.

It CAN do full OS upgrades, but I expect it to be used for minor updates and security fixes.

So long as devices are sold by the Operators or used on their networks, we'll be at their mercy.

P

Er, no... The Windows Update is implemented at the discretion of the Operator, and to the degree that the Operator chooses.

It CAN do full OS upgrades, but I expect it to be used for minor updates and security fixes.

So long as devices are sold by the Operators or used on their networks, we'll be at their mercy.

P

Now thats depressing ;)

Guest Shaunfarris

I don't understand were MS are going to lose out.

The majority of people buy PDA phones because it gives them the ability to tweak modify add what they want to their device to fulfuill a specific requirement.

As you cant buy a copy of Windows Mobile for our devices, then MS arent going to lose any money.

Do MS really think that just because they release a new software version everyone is going to rush out and dump their expensive devices (usually tied into contracts with Mobile Operators), and buy another very expensive deivce.

If they treated Mobile operating software the same as desktops then this problem wouldnt exist.

Why is it illigal to use a peice of software that is accepted for public use, but not available to buy?? surely that means if theres no charge then in my (probably twisted biased logic) that makes it free

Guest awarner (MVP)

There is a charge as the manufacturer includes the licence cost with the device when it is sold so it's far from free, it's just that you do not see the actual cost separately.

As for people dumping devices, again it's not MS but the manufacturer of the device that wants you to "rush out" and it does happen on a regular basis. A lot of members here always try to pick up the next best phone.

This is all missing the point of the original post, hosting ROMs and cooked ROMs etc is still breaking the licence agreement between user and developer. This is why they had to be removed, I'm just surprised it took so long to do especially as the site is so well known.

Guest chucky.egg

It is a real shame IMO. I've had badly unstable devices, which have been fixed by ROMs from XDA-Dev.

So what do I do if my next phone becomes unstable?

Dont install extra software? (in which case why bother with a smartphone?)

My Tornado is pretty stable, but not perfect by any means, so I'm sure I won't upgrade my handset as often now. I can't take the chance of spending hundreds on a dud with no hope of getting it fixed.

I've signed the petition too, but like Paul I can't see MS backing down.

Perhaps the answer is for XDA-Dev to licence WM in the same way that the operators do. Wonder what that costs?