Calling all MDA Pro owners

Guest Markda2000

Guest Markda2000

I have just been shipped out a New MDA Pro as a replacement for my existing one which has developed a fault with the phone receiving calls.

One thing that I have noticed is that the Storage Memory on my old MDA Pro was 43.50 MB

and now on the new device it is 39.59 MB that is a whopping deficit of just under 4MB.

The Program Memory on both is 49.7MB

With the memory already being at a premium on the existing device I was wondering if other users have varying degrees of storage memory.

Please post your figures of original Storage and Program memory please.

And do you think I should get in touch with Tmobile regarding the missing 4mb?

Guest Markda2000
Sounds like different parts of the extended ROM have been loaded. Do a hard reset and don't load the extended ROM if you're that worried aout it.

No that is not the case. I thought that too at first. Had the original Rom loaded and the total storage is still the same.

Having both devices side by side proves quite interesting. Is the memory made up of different Chips, or is it all on one. I am thinking that there are various modules that maybe one is not present or not functioning.

Guest Confucious

It's all one - you won't have less memory - just more things loaded into it - hence my assumption that different oparts of the Extended ROM have been loaded which I still believe is probably the case.

Guest Markda2000

That was my first thought as well.

I have checked the Rom version and they are both the same. I have even gone further than that by checking the files and sizes on the device and they are all the same. The only thing that is different is the Total Storage Memory, and subsequently the remaining free memory.

As I was struggling for storage space on my old MDA Pro, this is a bit of a disaster for me.

That is why I was asking for others to list their Total Storage space, and If mine was lower than what others had I could go back to Tmobile with the findings.

Guest Confucious

Sorry - I have an Exec but can't even check that as it's away being repaired. Do you need T-Mobs customisation? If not doing a hard reset and not installing the extended ROM will free up memory.

The Total storage is after the ROM programs have loaded - or so I believe and the ROM comes in 2 parts - normal and extended and just because you have the same ROM version doesn't mean that the same parts of the extended ROM are loaded. I am not an expert on the subject - head over to xda-developers where you can find experts on all ROM related issues - maybe they can shed more light on the matter.

Guest Markda2000

When I did reset the device without loading the extended Rom it showed up the Total Storage Memory as being the same as with the extended Rom loaded.

I thought it would make a difference, but it did not do to the total storage memory. What it did do is show less storage memory in use, and subsequentally mora available.

What that does prove though is that the two phones have a different amount of Storage Memory, which surely cannot be right.

By the way does anyone know of any way of increasing the memory on the Universals.

Back in the halcyon days of owning a Clie there was a company that you could send the PDA to and for a small fee they would return it with extra ram.

Guest akadonny

My Apache is the same. My friend's Apache shows 43.50MB of storage, but mine shows 39.59. I tried reloading the original ROM, loading my own, leaving off the extended, nothing helps. It always shows 39.59MB. I never really checked this until I recently cooked my own ROM. There is a sticker with a date below my battery that shows 12/06 as the manufacture date. My friends Apache didn't have anything. I think mabe with the new hardware, memory is allocated differently? I don't know, but not knowing what happened to those 4MB is killing me. If anyone has an answer to our problem, it would be greatly appreciated.