Change resolution?

Guest PaulMdx

Guest PaulMdx

I got chance to borrow an XDA Exec from work to compare against my Mini-S. I really like the device, but the resolution is putting me off getting one.

I thought the VGA screen was going to be a real improvement, but despite being great in terms of quality, it seems to make very poor use of the resolution. Even with the text size set to smallest the top bar and bottom context bar take up the same percentage of screen as my Mini-S. Given I used the device mostly in landscape mode (ie. clam shell) the start menu actually had LESS vertical real-estate than my Mini-S does!

Is there any way to change this so it keeps the same resolution as my Mini-S does? IE. it doesn't scale everything to twice the size?

• 1 month later...
Guest mavrik64
I got chance to borrow an XDA Exec from work to compare against my Mini-S. I really like the device, but the resolution is putting me off getting one.

I thought the VGA screen was going to be a real improvement, but despite being great in terms of quality, it seems to make very poor use of the resolution. Even with the text size set to smallest the top bar and bottom context bar take up the same percentage of screen as my Mini-S. Given I used the device mostly in landscape mode (ie. clam shell) the start menu actually had LESS vertical real-estate than my Mini-S does!

Is there any way to change this so it keeps the same resolution as my Mini-S does? IE. it doesn't scale everything to twice the size?

Try looking at Ozvga, this works, but you'ed better have good eyesight ;))

Mav

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Ye. When Microsoft implemented VGA support they specifically said it was only to improve the DPI of icons. It is a bit of a waste but as mavrik says, using true-VGA is a bit of a strain on the eyes!

Guest AlanJC

It's the same with many devices that use a higher resolution display, my k800i for instance is QVGA, but again, it's for quality of display, more than quantity of information in the display.

Something I have wished for is a hardware button that will make the start bar & task bar dissapear so that you can run apps in full screen, because although that feature is present in many apps, it's a pain going through the options to do it. A button would be much faster, and easier to use.

Guest Shuflie

The VGA screen really comes into play with some apps like opera, its great for web browsing especially in desktop mode. If you get a chance have a look at what WM6 offers, high resolution mode in IE, would be great if there was an official update released. In the meantime if you don't want to go the full hog of OZVga then individual apps can have high res support added using resedit.