Samsung i718

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

[teaser]

thumb_27-Feb-2007_05.jpg

Now this puppy is what I'd call a trade-off device. It's incredibly thin (13.5MM!), is light and relatively fast but lacks the features we've come to expect from a new device: namely WiFi, 3G/HSDPA, GPS and WM6. I personally can live without 3G/HSPDA, GPS and WM6 but not the WiFi (although you could utilise the i718's microSD slot by using one of Spectec's microSD WiFi cards ;) ). Specs for the i718 are:

• WM5 for Pocket PC
  • Intel Xscale PXA270 416MHz CPU
  • 128MB ROM
  • 64MB RAM
  • 2.0MP AF Camera
  • 13.5MM thick
  • 110g

I love the slenderness of this device but no WiFi and no form of hardware text entry make this one to avoid for me. More shots of the device and of some of Samsung's nice OS customizations after the jump...[/teaser]

27-Feb-2007_05.jpg

27-Feb-2007_03.jpg

27-Feb-2007_04.jpg

27-Feb-2007_06.jpg

27-Feb-2007_10.jpg

27-Feb-2007_11.jpg

Guest Fredde87

Conflicting information there... WM5 or WM6? The source website seems to say WM5. Where did you get WM6 from? Looks sexy eitherway though. A bit disappointing to se someone like samsung do a iphone copy though :/

one of the new imate ultimate phones sporting WM6 is supposed to be 11mm thick.. we'll see.... (8150 i think its called.)

why is it an iphone copy?!? cos it has metal bits on the edges?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Conflicting information there... WM5 or WM6? The source website seems to say WM5. Where did you get WM6 from? Looks sexy eitherway though. A bit disappointing to se someone like samsung do a iphone copy though :/

It's WM5, I said it lacks WM6. Incidentally, it's hardly an iPhone copy. It has buttons for a start ;)

Guest bennish

do people realise touchscreen phones have been around a lot longer than the not-yet-released iphone? Every time i see a new touchscreen wm device come out people say 'ohhh iphone copy!' - jeez

Guest Sonicr360

Dont like this - What i do like is the Samsung i-600 (which I think Paul owned as blackjack).

What I dont know about the I600 is:-

1) when is there going to be a decent review

2) when is it released

3) Does anyone have a link to one ?

Simon

Guest Fredde87

Sorry missed the word lacks... I was getting really excited reading about gps, 3g and wm6 ;)

As to the iphone comment I was refearing to the second interface picture. The black one with shiny metal colored icons just made the iphone come into mind first.

Guest bennish
As to the iphone comment I was refearing to the second interface picture. The black one with shiny metal colored icons just made the iphone come into mind first.

Take a look at the Mitac Mio and you'll see an example of Apple's "Innovation" years before the iphone was launched.

I guess publicity really is everything. Ideas don't matter to steve

lovely looking PPC, reckon it'll be expensive though, kinda looks like that €800 euro Nokia phone (one made of shiney metal .... mmmnnnn shiney ....)

Shame its missing wifi ;)

Guest Confucious

Personally I can live without WiFi - horrendous drain on battery on mobile devices, but I can't live wiothout 3G/HSDPA and I'm fairly certain my next device will be WM6 not DOS WM5

Edited by Confucious

Guest hellboy123
This is the best

i think thats already clear right now....(1 time is enough buddy).

i like the samsung, hopefully it will come with WM6 and not with the outdated wm5... Hoep to see this one soon

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry missed the word lacks... I was getting really excited reading about gps, 3g and wm6 ;)

Icons in grid view - shocking! Call Apple!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.