SPV M3100 touchscreen problems

Guest nicko75

Guest nicko75

Hi all, hoping you can help. Bit of a long story, so if you want the ending... here it is: My touchscreen isn't working at all as a touchscreen. Touch it, stroke it, tap it - nada. It does the screen part fine, but no touching.

The story of how it got to that stage goes as follows:

- I put my M3100 into a slightly damp, slightly gritty pocket at the weekend (yep, bit of a mistake), and later on noticed that the touchscreen was being temperamental, with 'phantom touches' (menus coming up due to non-existent touches on the screen) and not sensing other touches. I did a hard reset and reloaded all the data (excluding third part apps). This didn't help.

- figuring that it might well be the damp and grit that were to blame, I took out the battery and left it open overnight. This didn't help.

- Next thought was that the ribbon connecting screen to mainboard might be affected by the damp and grit, so I dismantled the handset (leaving the screen unit unopened) and wiped the ribbon clean. This helped - screen function was perfect for a while. Then I came back to it about an hour later and it was back to its old issues.

- Figured that dismantling helped, so I took it apart again. Couldn't see any moisture or obvious dirt, so put it back together. Touchscreen doesn't now function as a touchscreen.

The screen ribbon is reconnected to the mainboard correctly as far as I can see, and there are no obvious causes of the problem. What am I missing??

And, dare I ask, how much are HTC/ Orange likely to charge to fix it?

Cheers

Nick

Hi all, hoping you can help. Bit of a long story, so if you want the ending... here it is: My touchscreen isn't working at all as a touchscreen. Touch it, stroke it, tap it - nada. It does the screen part fine, but no touching.

- I put my M3100 into a slightly damp, slightly gritty pocket at the weekend (yep, bit of a mistake), and later on noticed that the touchscreen was being temperamental, with 'phantom touches' (menus coming up due to non-existent touches on the screen) and not sensing other touches. I did a hard reset and reloaded all the data (excluding third part apps). This didn't help.

- figuring that it might well be the damp and grit that were to blame, I took out the battery and left it open overnight. This didn't help.

- Next thought was that the ribbon connecting screen to mainboard might be affected by the damp and grit, so I dismantled the handset (leaving the screen unit unopened) and wiped the ribbon clean. This helped - screen function was perfect for a while. Then I came back to it about an hour later and it was back to its old issues.

- Figured that dismantling helped, so I took it apart again. Couldn't see any moisture or obvious dirt, so put it back together. Touchscreen doesn't now function as a touchscreen.

The screen ribbon is reconnected to the mainboard correctly as far as I can see, and there are no obvious causes of the problem. What am I missing??

Cheers

Nick

You don't say how long you've had the M3100 for. Less than a year - you should be able to send it back for virtually no charge (maybe p&P). Alternatively have you got Orange Care? If you have there's "no charge" and they will normally replace withing 48 hours.

However it seems that the fault may have been of your own making. Taking it apart probably won't help any warranty claims either. Sorry I couldn't answer you main question - I'm not sure what the charges are from HTC or Orange where the fault is the user's own.

For what it's worth I had a M3100 where the screen failed through no fault of my own - it's possible that your device (despite the damp pocket) has simply failed with this in mind if it's less than a year old it may be worth calling Orange and following their attempt to fix it over the phone send it back to them or HTC for a replacement.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Guest nicko75

I've had it for about 6 months - so about 3 months more than OSPS's free 3 months' insurance... My thinking is that opening it up will mean Orange or OSPS won't replace it, although I should perhaps just try to blag it.

Interesting to hear about the screen failure you had - what kind of failure was it?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest Handyman2k7

Cheers

Nick

Guest Handyman2k7

Hi All, my touchscreen suffered the same fate, however i was able to come up with a bit of a fix after 3 days pondering the problem (and repeated cleaning/resetting & screaming at my m3100)

After much close inspection of the offending screen, i noticed that the screen had lots of minor indents from repeat impacts after using the stylus in the same place, and came to the following conclusion :

the screen cover is plastic / plastic stretches & remains in contact with 2nd layer of screen / need to retension plastic!

did the following in order

1. Remove rear cover

2. Remove Battery / Sim Card / SD Card

3. Clean screen (pc Screen Cleaning Cloth)

4. With keyboard slid out - Blew WARM air from Hair Dryer through main body of M3100 (Remove dust/dirt etc)

5. WARM air again - Gently heated screen for approx 90 seconds

6. wipe screen firmly with dry lint free cloth

7. Heated screen again with HOT air for a further 90 seconds (move hair dryer across face of screen while doing this)

8. Reclean screen with pc screen cloth

9. Allow to cool for 5 minutes

10. Re-assemble Phone and turn on

11. Eureka Moment!

Cheers

Nick

I've had it for about 6 months - so about 3 months more than OSPS's free 3 months' insurance... My thinking is that opening it up will mean Orange or OSPS won't replace it, although I should perhaps just try to blag it.

Interesting to hear about the screen failure you had - what kind of failure was it?

Cheers

Hi Nicko..sorry for taking so long to reply..have you got the M3100 fixed/replaced yet?

my faulty M3100 - in reply to your question - just stopped working. The only thing that I did was place a screen protector film on the main screen. btw I've done the same with the replacement and there were no detrimental effects.

Guess I just got unlucky with my M3100s.

As for the OSPS replacement up to you depends how obvious or not the equipment changes are.

Anyway good luck in what ever you decide.