T-Mobile Dash Wifi, Internet, and Pocket MSN Help

Guest Svoms

Guest Svoms

I've been searching for a way for Internet Explore only uses wifi so I never get charged for using the internet. Here in my house I have wifi and I never know it I'm connected to wifi or grps. Is their anyway to disable gprs.

I also have a question about Pocket MSN on my Dash. Do I get charged for using that? I have a unlimited text messaging plan so does that mean I never get charged for using it? Please explain..

Sorry I just got my Dash a couple days ago, Thanks

Guest jimbouk

Most recent devices will use wifi by default if its available. If you disconnect the GPRS before connecting to wifi, then open PIE, if your wifi is connected then it should be fine. If your GPRS connection re-opens then your wifi is probably not set up properly(in which case, check your IP address is valid - probably 192.168.x.x).

I dont know if the network will distinguish between pocket msn texts and normal texts. If you have data set up, then you can use MSN live messenger and use GPRS - otherwise if in doubt reset your msn to not show you as "mobile"

Guest Svoms
Most recent devices will use wifi by default if its available. If you disconnect the GPRS before connecting to wifi, then open PIE, if your wifi is connected then it should be fine. If your GPRS connection re-opens then your wifi is probably not set up properly(in which case, check your IP address is valid - probably 192.168.x.x).

I dont know if the network will distinguish between pocket msn texts and normal texts. If you have data set up, then you can use MSN live messenger and use GPRS - otherwise if in doubt reset your msn to not show you as "mobile"

So is their a way so my phone only wifi and nothing else so I never get charged. I'm new to this stuff.. ;)

Guest Confucious
I tired installing that but I can't get it to work on my Dash

Have you tried posting in that thread and seeing if Paul can figure out why?

• 1 month later...
Guest TedMac

This may or may not be applicable to this thread but...I too have wifi in my house and i've used my Dash on it to access the internet in the past. And then i found out that T-mo had the edge network open up for free(there are many rumors as to why this is), so i was able to access the internet all over the place. Long story short, I can't access the internet at all, wifi or edge, i still have the E in the signal strength place, but I'm always getting an 502 Error message, whenever i use WiFi or try using Edge...i've tried soft resets, as well as hard resets...any thoughts? Thanks for any kind of input

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mh1huff

This may or may not be applicable to this thread but...I too have wifi in my house and i've used my Dash on it to access the internet in the past. And then i found out that T-mo had the edge network open up for free(there are many rumors as to why this is), so i was able to access the internet all over the place. Long story short, I can't access the internet at all, wifi or edge, i still have the E in the signal strength place, but I'm always getting an 502 Error message, whenever i use WiFi or try using Edge...i've tried soft resets, as well as hard resets...any thoughts? Thanks for any kind of input

Guest mh1huff

I am having the same issue. I also was able to access the internet through wifi and was working great but a few days after I installed wm6 I keep geting "Error 502- Bad Request The server could not resolve your request for url:" and I have tried to reinstall wm6 and nothing seems to work. any suggestions would be helpful.

Guest Confucious

Have you tried accessing the net through WiFi rather than GPRS/Edge? Sounds like T-Mob have blocked it again, this seams to happen in the US - they allow free access for a while, people find out about it, start using it then are suprised when it's blocked.

I could be wrong, do you know anyone that can still use the free Edge?

Guest dropofdreams

Hi there. If I'm not mistaken, MSN messenger uses the active data connection and so your texting plan wont have any effect over that. The OZ messaging however, does rely on the text package. As for the error messages you are getting, from your IE settings, do you have the box checked letting decide the connection for itself? I found that if I change the settings there, I was able to connect to the net again. Originally, I had it on "WAP" and when ichanged it to "The Internet" it started working for me. Best of luck everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest loganx80

Hey everyone. I experienced the same thing with the Dash. I don't have a data plan, but I was able to use the data services for free on the Dash for a couple months. Now, just like the rest of you, not even my wi-fi is working. Why would the wi-fi stop working also? If anyone has any updated information on this, let me know. I called T-mobile and all they could tell me was to check my ISP and make sure there's not a problem there.

Hey everyone. I experienced the same thing with the Dash. I don't have a data plan, but I was able to use the data services for free on the Dash for a couple months. Now, just like the rest of you, not even my wi-fi is working. Why would the wi-fi stop working also? If anyone has any updated information on this, let me know. I called T-mobile and all they could tell me was to check my ISP and make sure there's not a problem there.

I use the Dash at home with wireless or I will use wifi if a free hot spot is available. Whenever I use the wireless I turn off the edge by disabling the phone function. You need to use the "comm manager" to turn on and off the phone or wifi. I do not run both at the same time.

I have the $6 data plan and can access the internet. I use this during the day. High use times aroung 10-3pm I have trouble accessing. Not sure if it is blocked or heavy traffic. Otherwise I have no problem accessing the net in edge mode.

Yesterday I upgraded to WM6 and still have no problem accessing net by cell or wifi. There are other issues with WM6 I am working on but are video related.

You can also check what wifi networks are available by using the settings link in the comm manager screen. Some networks require passwords and others are "open" and not secure. Additionally, once you are connected you can check the signal strength from the settings menu. I have my home screen setup so I can tell if the wifi is on and connected and whether the phone is on and connected as well.

Guest loganx80

My problem is not that I can't connect to the Wi-Fi. I'm able to connect and I can see the signal strength, etc. I just can't actually use the internet connection. IE will not connect to any sites. The mail won't connect, etc.

I use the Dash at home with wireless or I will use wifi if a free hot spot is available. Whenever I use the wireless I turn off the edge by disabling the phone function. You need to use the "comm manager" to turn on and off the phone or wifi. I do not run both at the same time.

I have the $6 data plan and can access the internet. I use this during the day. High use times aroung 10-3pm I have trouble accessing. Not sure if it is blocked or heavy traffic. Otherwise I have no problem accessing the net in edge mode.

Yesterday I upgraded to WM6 and still have no problem accessing net by cell or wifi. There are other issues with WM6 I am working on but are video related.

You can also check what wifi networks are available by using the settings link in the comm manager screen. Some networks require passwords and others are "open" and not secure. Additionally, once you are connected you can check the signal strength from the settings menu. I have my home screen setup so I can tell if the wifi is on and connected and whether the phone is on and connected as well.

My problem is not that I can't connect to the Wi-Fi. I'm able to connect and I can see the signal strength, etc. I just can't actually use the internet connection. IE will not connect to any sites. The mail won't connect, etc.

Are there other wireless devices that can connect using this same wifi network? Is the network open or secured? When you try and access a webpage does the browser cycle through 1. connecting 2. locating 3. opening? Are there any error messages you encounter? are you having this problem at other and all networks you have encountered and connected to?

I have had three cases where I get "connected" and have signal strength and not access the net - 1. when I switched my home wifi to a secured network I chose a method that wm5 would not support 2. again home wifi with broadband outage 3. airports when travelling - can get connected but can not get access to net even thought the networks are listed as open.

need more info.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest loganx80
Are there other wireless devices that can connect using this same wifi network? Is the network open or secured? When you try and access a webpage does the browser cycle through 1. connecting 2. locating 3. opening? Are there any error messages you encounter? are you having this problem at other and all networks you have encountered and connected to?

I have had three cases where I get "connected" and have signal strength and not access the net - 1. when I switched my home wifi to a secured network I chose a method that wm5 would not support 2. again home wifi with broadband outage 3. airports when travelling - can get connected but can not get access to net even thought the networks are listed as open.

need more info.

OK,

Actually I was able to get it to work by trying something I read on here. I turned off the phone capability and turned on the wi-fi and it worked. Why would I have to turn off the phone antenna to get wi-fi to work!!!!