Glu Mobile reveals more deets on Project Gotham Mobile

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
video.gif

XBox 360 - gotta love it. Project Gotham Racing - gotta love it. The 360 isn't too practical for on the road gaming however... enter Glu Mobile with PGR Mobile. Originally covered by us in this story, Glu have now revealed some more details, as well as launching the PGR Mobile area on their website.

From the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco yesterday...

Microsoft’s Most Valuable Racing Franchise Comes to its Proprietary Mobile Platform

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – March 6, 2007 – Today at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2007, Glu Mobile, a leading global publisher of mobile games, debuted Project Gotham Racing® Mobile for Windows Mobile®. Developed and published by Glu exclusively for mobile phones, PGR® Mobile is the first mobile adaptation of the original award-winning Project Gotham Racing franchise developed by Bizarre Creations for Microsoft® Xbox® and Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment systems. PGR Mobile will be available for Windows Mobile phones this spring and is the result of the first-time collaboration between Glu, Microsoft and Bizarre Creations. The Windows Mobile version of PGR Mobile exemplifies the increasing sophistication around development and publishing for mobile devices.

Today at GDC, Brian Lio, product manager at Microsoft, will host a session entitled “Windows Mobile Game Development: Opportunity, Tools, and Platform” in which he will discuss the current set of tools and technologies for developing games on Windows Mobile including certification, publishing and distribution (2:00 – 2:45 p.m. in Room 120, North Hall).

The Windows Mobile platform is designed so that people can personalize their devices with a wide range of applications, ranging from business to entertainment,” said John Dietz, group product manager at Microsoft Corp. “We are pleased to work in tandem with Glu to bring Project Gotham Racing to Windows Mobile powered smartphones and enhance the overall mobile experience.”

“Our collaboration with the teams at Microsoft and Bizarre Creations has resulted in a game that truly shows the capabilities of the Windows Mobile platform and the progression of mobile games,” said Jill Braff, general manager of North America, Glu Mobile. “Through our work together, Project Gotham Racing Mobile maintains the high-quality gameplay, style and speed true to the PGR franchise.”

Spring release! That's like, er, nearly now! ;)

You can find out more at the PGR Mobile page over at Glu Mobile, although the dedicated site, http://pgrmobile.com, linked to from the press release, seems to be broken (somebody forgotten to renew the domain?).

The images above are (I believe) from the Java version, a demo of which is playable online from the PGR Mobile page!

P

Guest Pop2k

Wow, this is sad. I mean, we've got these shiny, speedy devices and yet we need to feel happy getting a game thrown at us that looks like an early alpha version of Urban Asphalt GT?

I mean, look (http://www.n-gage.com/asphalt) at what we used to play on the N-Gage some 2 (or is it 3 already?) years ago. It's full 3D, fluent with good fps and some sfx.

Seriously the (compared to Symbian) lame ass games for WinMo make me wonder if I shouldn't switch back when I get my next device. After all, from the productivity pov, WM and Symbian are quite the same, yet the WinMo soft dev crowd seems to realy hate us having fun with our phones. ;)

Guest dijital
See above... these are (I believe) shots from the JAVA version, hence the relative low quality.

P

yeah, if we end up getting the java version instead of the excellent full 3d symbian os version im gonna be pissed!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.