I Want to get rid of the Virgin Splash screen

Guest Bongmaster

Guest Bongmaster

Has anyone mannaged to figgure out how to get rid of/Replace the Virgin mobile splash screeen from the bootup of the Monet?

i used reg edit to chnage the shutdown screen and startup screens, but the virgin one stays put even tho the registry value says otherwise (unless there is another reg value i dont know about)

anyone? ;)

Guest Bongmaster
You can't do that easily.... it's set in ROM.

P

so it can be done?

i have searched the reg a little to see if there are any references to it.. but nothing that has made any changes..

if i could replace the rom with a default htc monet rom (not messed with by virgin in any way), if such a thing exists. like a clean install of windows ;) hehe

Guest The Doctor
You can't do that easily.... it's set in ROM.

P

Its actually fairly easy :D Luckily the splash image is located in a different section of the ROM to the OS, bootloader, etc so you can 'cook' if you like your own ROM with the splash screen ONLY without too much trouble. All your programs etc are safe.

If you want a MoDaCo boot screen, download and flash the splash screen i posted HERE

If you want to make your own, follow the instructions by me HERE, or slightly more specific instructions by merwin HERE

@Paul, if you feel it'd be worthwhile, I'll make a Hermes version of the MoDaCo Splash Screen I did for the Tornado ;) It'll be both the Splash Screen and the Sub splash (normally the same image but if you want to keep some operator branding i'll leave the subsplash section out so it wont flash that)

Phil

Guest Bongmaster
Its actually fairly easy :D Luckily the splash image is located in a different section of the ROM to the OS, bootloader, etc so you can 'cook' if you like your own ROM with the splash screen ONLY without too much trouble. All your programs etc are safe.

If you want a MoDaCo boot screen, download and flash the splash screen i posted HERE

If you want to make your own, follow the instructions by me HERE, or slightly more specific instructions by merwin HERE

@Paul, if you feel it'd be worthwhile, I'll make a Hermes version of the MoDaCo Splash Screen I did for the Tornado ;) It'll be both the Splash Screen and the Sub splash (normally the same image but if you want to keep some operator branding i'll leave the subsplash section out so it wont flash that)

Phil

no luck :( it passes the immediate flash test.. but displays "Error saving splash zone" when i try to put in my new splash.bmp :)

i am app unlocked. is there any special format the bmp has to be in?

[edit]

The Modaco boot screen rom update utility failed too :) what have virgin done to my phone?

Edited by Bongmaster

Guest The Doctor
no luck :D it passes the immediate flash test.. but displays "Error saving splash zone" when i try to put in my new splash.bmp :(

i am app unlocked. is there any special format the bmp has to be in?

[edit]

The Modaco boot screen rom update utility failed too :) what have virgin done to my phone?

I'll look into the Monet ROM structure this week sometime and *hopefully* come up with some answers ;)

Phil

Guest Bongmaster
I'll look into the Monet ROM structure this week sometime and *hopefully* come up with some answers ;)

Phil

good luck :D hope u find something :(

my friend suggested i find an imate equivilant rom and flash it.. which is a bit drastic.. i would like my DAB radio to still work :) n stuff.. and not chance bricking my phone :?

tho a nice clean wm5 would be nice :) no oem inteferance :)

Guest The Doctor
good luck ;) hope u find something :D

my friend suggested i find an imate equivilant rom and flash it.. which is a bit drastic.. i would like my DAB radio to still work :) n stuff.. and not chance bricking my phone :?

tho a nice clean wm5 would be nice :( no oem inteferance :)

Don't flash an i-mate ROM whatever you do, i-mate never released the HTC Monet so you wont find a compatible ROM.

But like i said, i'll cook you your own splash tomorrow, if you want a specific image then post it here before about 11am MoDaCo time. Needs to be 240x320 in bmp format.

Phil

Guest Bongmaster
Don't flash an i-mate ROM whatever you do, i-mate never released the HTC Monet so you wont find a compatible ROM.

But like i said, i'll cook you your own splash tomorrow, if you want a specific image then post it here before about 11am MoDaCo time. Needs to be 240x320 in bmp format.

Phil

yay :D

oh crap ;) am i too late to post an image?

if not here is one...

splash2.bmp

Guest Bongmaster
Ok try this one...

Phil

alas it failed ;) i have attached a jpeg of the error screen if it helps..

is there anything i need to unlock in my phone in order to flash it?

post-211382-1174442561_thumb.jpg

Guest The Doctor
alas it failed ;) i have attached a jpeg of the error screen if it helps..

is there anything i need to unlock in my phone in order to flash it?

Hmmmm

Just had a thought that the upgrade files may be in nbh format? You could try the hermes modaco splash number 3 and see if that works...

I'll have to look into this further tho

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bongmaster
Hmmmm

Just had a thought that the upgrade files may be in nbh format? You could try the hermes modaco splash number 3 and see if that works...

I'll have to look into this further tho

Phil

that worked less than the other one ;) it just lost com

Guest The Doctor
that worked less than the other one ;) it just lost com

Hmmm, tbh i need a shipped update to tear apart to really get to grips with this

Phil

• 1 month later...
Guest xecuterbox

Hi, just got my monet yesturday thought Id try changing the splash...I have ran the first software with modaco logo and it seemed to work though - didnt get an error like the previous guy but mite b worth mentioned Iv app unlocked mine.

I got some debug screen on the monet and the software said please wait 10 minutes etc then closed itself down...took battery out/put it back as nothing was happenin still works n still got virgin splash but not sure the proper procedure

post-260305-1180530096_thumb.jpg

Edited by xecuterbox

Guest The Doctor
Hi, just got my monet yesturday thought Id try changing the splash...I have ran the first software with modaco logo and it seemed to work though - didnt get an error like the previous guy but mite b worth mentioned Iv app unlocked mine.

I got some debug screen on the monet and the software said please wait 10 minutes etc then closed itself down...took battery out/put it back as nothing was happenin still works n still got virgin splash but not sure the proper procedure

Need to do more research into this before we can arrive at a solution

BTW does your phone still boot into windows?

Phil

Guest xecuterbox
Need to do more research into this before we can arrive at a solution

BTW does your phone still boot into windows?

Phil

yes - it still boots into windows just fine

• 5 months later...
Guest Bongmaster

hi been away for a while. ;)

any progress been made on this? i really hate that virgin splash screen more than ever now since they screwed me over. long story not going into it..

i would really be happy to see it gone :(

• 3 years later...