Rearranging start menu on Xda Graphite

Guest kyrkesmith

Guest kyrkesmith

My Xda Graphite has arrived, and I'm having a problem I seem to recall having on my SPV C600. I can't move any of the items in the start menu, either using the build in File Explorer, or using Windows Explorer on my laptop. Any ideas?

Guest Paul (MVP)

It's application locked then!

I'll have mine Monday / Tuesday then I can assist...

P

PS What's it like? Guess I need to create a graphite area ;)

Guest kyrkesmith

It's pretty nice. It seems faster than the C600, and I prefer the joystick. The buttons are nice and big too. I can see the screen cracking at some stage, as the plastic above it is more flexible than the C600 and is quite close to the screen. The camera(s) seem decent, and it's nice having WiFi. Haven't got Skype working yet though.

The start menu's giving me a lot of trouble, because only a few of the apps can be moved. However, using the registry hack produces strange results. The first time I did it, when I rebooted, the start menu was completely empty and I had to hard reset. The second time, it completely ignored my setting and sorted them alphabetically. I then modified the order, taking out a few of them and it was empty on reboot. Just doing my second hard reset now...

Guest kyrkesmith

I've worked out the problem with the registry hack for the start menu order to be as a result of me not leaving a blank line break at the end of the list of apps.

I left the MRU on on the homescreen so I could continue to access the registry editor when the start menu had vanished, rather than having to hard reset.

Still, it would be nice to be able to move Calculator out of the Accessories folder.

Guest kyrkesmith
Oooooh! Sample pictures from the cam please! ;)

Also, how's the flash/led?

Here's a couple of pictures. They're not at full 2 megapixel resolution; I'll post a couple of them later if you want. The LED seems reasonable, although the range isn't massive.

post-10526-1173534033_thumb.jpg

post-10526-1173534044_thumb.jpg

Guest jhils1

I got mine Friday-Its great, just a pity it looks and feels like a nokia from about 8 years ago, but you cant have everything!

I m having start menu probs though. But different ones.

It took my Orange SIM straight out of the box and I used PHM registry editor to fully app unlock it so I could install Sniper and SmartTweaker-All working fine-I ve used the WM 2003 menu tweak in Smart Tweaker (turns it to list view) and I can move stuff about in the start menu no probs.

But whenever I go into task manager and kill all or free memory it kills the start menu so when you press start it just stays on the home screen (theres no "kill all but selected" option like 2003) and the only way to get the start menu again (unless some-one knows different) is to reboot it-Re-activating start in task manager does nothing. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

WM 2005 Smartphone is new to me (had 2003 before) and while there are some cool improvements some stuff isnt as good-Take viewing pictures in my documents-With 2003 you just pushed the joystick up and down to zoom and you could zoom out so far the pic becomes a dot or zoom in so far you can see individual pixels up close. You could also view any pic fullscreen. Not with 2005 (unless I m missing something). You ve got to go into edit then click zoom then 1 or 2 and all you get is about a 5 stage zoom. And you ve got to press zoom then 1 or 2 again for every stage. What was once just a case of moving the joy stick is now about 9 key presses!-And it wont let you view pics full screen-Might as well have stuck on a 176x220 res screen if you cant use the full 240x320!

I m impressed with the flash, though. Most I ve seen are useless with about a 1 metre range. This will light up the wall on the other side of the room (about 7 metres away). And I stuck it in a cupboard on timer and shut the door then did the same with the flash on. I ve posted the results below.

post-119403-1173558135_thumb.jpg

post-119403-1173558176_thumb.jpg

Edited by jhils1

Guest markdotpeters5

Looks pretty encouraging, thanks for posting the pics.

What are the best case scenario pics like? Have wanted a smartphone with a decent camera for as long as I can remember!

Guest jhils1

Pretty good. (See below and kyrkesmith 's post above). Obviously not as good as a 3MP (why do smartphone manufacturers give us 2MP when "regular" phones have moved to 3MP with autofocus?????). But much better than HTC's 1.3MP. Pity theres no close up mode though.

post-119403-1173558649_thumb.jpg

post-119403-1173559436_thumb.jpg

Edited by jhils1

Guest jutley

can we cid unlock the handset in the same way as spv c600 using the xda developers stuff can someone confirm this works cause when another flash comes out ie wm6 tempted to flash it.

Guest jhils1
Heya... I'd just like to confirm that our free C500 SIM unlock tool works perfectly on the C550 (thanks nedge2k for the testing)

To decert (application unlock) the C550, simply change these keys using the attached registry editor (it's the freeware PHM editor signed by HTC):

HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies0001001 = 1 (RAPI)

HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies0001005 = 40 (Cert)

This post has been edited by Zone-MR: Jan 3 2006, 10:54

Attached File(s)

regeditSTG.zip ( 24.01k ) Number of downloads: 18476

This worked on the Graphite as well-Very quick and easy-But it is "partially" unlocked out of the box so you should be able to installl some apps

• 1 month later...
Guest modgnik
I've worked out the problem with the registry hack for the start menu order to be as a result of me not leaving a blank line break at the end of the list of apps.

I left the MRU on on the homescreen so I could continue to access the registry editor when the start menu had vanished, rather than having to hard reset.

Still, it would be nice to be able to move Calculator out of the Accessories folder.

Forget the default Calculator. Go to http://msmobiles.com/mobile/news.php?id=5839 It's the best free Calculator ever and you end up with a nice icon on the start menu to boot.

Enjoy.