Eten announce Glofiish X800 Windows Mobile 6 Professional device

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Metoo

Funny that all the HTC fan-boys slate Eten, when HTC are by far the worse providor of software updates. At least Eten have provided several ROM updates for all of their devices (even though they can't currently fix the T-Mobile issue). HTC, by contrast, supply b*gger all. E.g. where is the GPS update for the Trinity, promised for January? Or the missing calls fix for Qtek9100 (Qtek=HTC) from 6 months ago? Can you find _any_ firmware updates or patches on HTC's web site?

Guest Metoo
Again, a bit difference.

I really love my Eten X500, but it's unusable for one of it's core functions!

P

As is a phone that doesn't respond to incoming calls ;)

Got to admit, Eten have really shot themselves in the foot with the T-Mobile problem though. Especially as T-Mobile is the only operator that offers decent flat rate data plans, and without data, there's just no point owning one of these devices.

Guest gilesjuk
Funny that all the HTC fan-boys slate Eten, when HTC are by far the worse providor of software updates. At least Eten have provided several ROM updates for all of their devices (even though they can't currently fix the T-Mobile issue). HTC, by contrast, supply b*gger all. E.g. where is the GPS update for the Trinity, promised for January? Or the missing calls fix for Qtek9100 (Qtek=HTC) from 6 months ago? Can you find _any_ firmware updates or patches on HTC's web site?

True, but then you have multiple vendors rebadging HTC devices and there's a good user community who provide OEM and custom ROMs.

The GPS update for Trinity was promised for Orange users?

Anyway, in a few days time my M700 will be sold ;) I will have to go back to using an old Nokia until my E90 arrives, but given that the M700's camera is rubbish and GPRS doesn't work all I am losing is GPS.

Guest gilesjuk
And then they'd get slated and left behind for not being 'with the times' and having decent devices.

3G has been out over 2 years now. Eten and others have an R&D department, they should always be looking ahead and planning the introduction of such things.

Of course it's largely Microsoft's support for taking so long to add support for 3G in the OS.

Edited by gilesjuk

Guest gilesjuk
There's also the cost aspect of adding a 3G chipset...

I don't buy that excuse, the Sony Ericsson P990i is cheaper than the Eten M700.

Guest Neil5459
The GPS update for Trinity was promised for Orange users?

The UK Orange versions should have all shipped with GPS enabled. The GPS cpl isn't enabled, but it isn't really needed for GPSID aware applications.

Anyway, in a few days time my M700 will be sold ;) I will have to go back to using an old Nokia until my E90 arrives, but given that the M700's camera is rubbish and GPRS doesn't work all I am losing is GPS.

HTC have yet to produce a decent camera, though the one on the Trinity is the best yet (of a bad bunch!)

What was the problem with GPRS? Was that a sample fault for you? Mine works fine.

Going back to the Eten topic, I'd never buy another Eten device after the dire customer service I received with my Eten M500 18 months ago. Due to a radio hardware fault it had to be returned to Taiwan. It came back with the headphone socket damaged, so back to Taiwan, then returned with the damage still present. Only after the 3rd return was it OK- 16 weeks after originally sending it back. Hope they've improved in the meantime.

Guest gilesjuk
The UK Orange versions should have all shipped with GPS enabled. The GPS cpl isn't enabled, but it isn't really needed for GPSID aware applications.

HTC have yet to produce a decent camera, though the one on the Trinity is the best yet (of a bad bunch!)

What was the problem with GPRS? Was that a sample fault for you? Mine works fine.

Going back to the Eten topic, I'd never buy another Eten device after the dire customer service I received with my Eten M500 18 months ago. Due to a radio hardware fault it had to be returned to Taiwan. It came back with the headphone socket damaged, so back to Taiwan, then returned with the damage still present. Only after the 3rd return was it OK- 16 weeks after originally sending it back. Hope they've improved in the meantime.

X500/M700 GPRS doesn't work on T-Mobile/Virgin in the UK. The G icon doesn't appear and when you try to connect you get an error.

At least HTC's cameras don't have interference lines on the picture.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.