FIRST: Ameo now live on the T-Mobile site!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tsutton

If I stayed with the phone plans I have, the phone is going to cost me a whooping £379.99!

Guess I need to wait a bit longer. ;)

Does anyone know if T Mobile staff still have the Friend of friend (or whatever it's called) discount?

Guest boyo69
£239.99 on FlexT WnW 35 could be worse...

P

i've got 15 days, or 360 hours, or 21600 minutes left before i can upgrade !!

and i will !!

bet they'll be sold out by the 21599th minute !

hope T-Mobile work 24/7, i'll be on the phone midnight !

Guest johnwin

These prices are actually quite good for what you get. Just compare it to a standalone PDA (what few there are now!). Still out of my reach for now though - or at least beyond what MRS johnwin will let me pay

Guest Confucious

I got an 18 month contract last April so a while until I can upgrade - normally I'd just get a new contract and write tho old one off - but then I'd lose my 25% discount ;)

Guest thelondonthing

Hmm. Does the Ameo have built-in GPS? We know that this is a feature available on the Athena reference design, and the HTC Advantage X7500 includes GPS, but I can't find any confirmed details of it being included on the Ameo.

Anyone got any info?

Guest shanedean
No luck confucious :D

I expect the Athena to get WM6, but there's not been any announcements to that fact!

P

Blurb from T-Mob as shown above in post says 'You can connect to a printer or a projector with its active USB and VGA ports and use its Windows Mobile 5 software to create and edit documents on the go'

Surely a mistake for what is likely to be both T-Mob and HTCs flagship device! ;)

Guest rhedgehog

I very much doubt that they would take the GPS out. In fact, according to the training material and manual, it mentions both Wi-Fi and the GPS module. But mine should be arriving Tuesday morning. I can confirm then whether it has it or not.

Give it a few days and i bet it appears on the TM UK site for sale with co-pilot software for a premium.

Guest RadioImp

Well, mine's here.

It definitely has GPS, but not had chance to get TomTom on it to try that yet.

MY contract hasn't gone live yet, so I can't definitely test it, but it appears from reading the manual that you HAVE to have a headset to make a phone call. This wasn't mentioned in any of the reviews or specifications I've seen for the phone. If it's true, I think it's a deal breaker, and I'll be ringing them to see if I can send it back.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

The spec seems to imply it has a built in microphone and i would be shocked if there were no speakers! So it should be fine without a headset. Try setting up a voice dailing tag and see if that works.

Guest RadioImp
The spec seems to imply it has a built in microphone and i would be shocked if there were no speakers! So it should be fine without a headset. Try setting up a voice dailing tag and see if that works.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but as I say, I currently have no phone service so not had chance to try it yet, just going on what the manual says.

Guest RadioImp

Ah, didn't think of that.

Just tried it, it definitely has a microphone.

From reading around, it appears that the 'hack' is to put it on loudspeaker, but with the volume turned all the way down.

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Hmm i see, so more intended to be used on speakerphone rather than against your head. Bit off not giving you the choice but i could see the reasoning...

Guest MPXtricky

Just picturing someone holding one of these to their ear has me grinning!

Hmm i see, so more intended to be used on speakerphone rather than against your head. Bit off not giving you the choice but i could see the reasoning...

Guest Neil5459

A friend of mine with an Ameo confirms that 'against the ear' mode is not supported formally.

If a headset is not detected, it will default to speakerphone for making/receiving calls. You can turn the speakerphone volume down if you want to hold it to your ear.

Guest rickyburke

Haha, well I didn't want to say...but yeah, that is rubbish.

Remember the Motorola Text Box? the little blue thing? That was the same. lol. D'oh!

Guest Dr Who

Is there likely to be a reg hack/software that can get round this? Just recently I have been taken by the UMPC idea but have been put off by the lack of phone functionality built in so the Ameo might be quite a nice compromise. But I work in a quiet office so speaker phone is just not an option but similarly I can't always be wearing a headset.

Also, what is the battery life on this thing? I am currently getting about 7 hours out of my Vario II, with about 4 or 5 hours calls and push email which is not enough for me to get through a working day without charging which is sometimes just not possible. It actually seems to be the phone calls that kill the battery. If I make no calls with push all day it will last 12 hours plus, no calls and no push and it will run for 18 hours or so.

Edited by Dr Who

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.