speed of graphite

Guest harrysaab

Guest harrysaab

Hi,

I been using graphite for few days, im not impressed with the performance/speed of the phone, it dont seem that its got 416Mhz cpu inside it, my imate sp5 is similar performace to graphite, when i overclock my imate sp5 to 240Mhz it runs faster then graphite.

does anyone else performance issues with it?

Guest jhils1

Yeah, I agree, its about the same as a TI 200 mhz processor. Although TCPMP has clocked mine at 420, 418 and 455 mhz. And once at 680!!-So maybe its not very accurate. Any-one know of any apps that accurately check clock speed?

Intel have got a reputation for over-stating their chip's performance-Good old AMD always out perform their pc processors with lower-rated ones

Edited by jhils1

Hi,

I been using graphite for few days, im not impressed with the performance/speed of the phone, it dont seem that its got 416Mhz cpu inside it, my imate sp5 is similar performace to graphite, when i overclock my imate sp5 to 240Mhz it runs faster then graphite.

I too have SP5m (Asia version Dopod 586W) and Graphite.

There is no way the 586W can compare with the Graphite, in most case of CPU intensive work, example EMUs, Graphite does show difference..

But I suggest others like display (Especially when showing Chinese Chars with ClearType Fonts on), loading from storage is still a bottle-neck of the speed issue...

And I also notice that when trying to accessing files in phone by activesync on PC, Graphite give way better response over the SP5m.

Guest Reado

I'm actually quite impressed with the Graphite's reliability... Second handset in a week, and the battery lasts for 18 hours from fully charged, when it's only been on standby. I'm afraid to use the phone for a long phone call in case it decides enough is enough!

Going to go back to using my XDA IQ..!

• 2 months later...
Guest modgnik
Yeah, I agree, its about the same as a TI 200 mhz processor. Although TCPMP has clocked mine at 420, 418 and 455 mhz. And once at 680!!-So maybe its not very accurate. Any-one know of any apps that accurately check clock speed?

Intel have got a reputation for over-stating their chip's performance-Good old AMD always out perform their pc processors with lower-rated ones

You could check out www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest

Or download Orb to your pc, create a Username and Pass. Login from your phone and there you will find provision to test your speed.

• 4 months later...
Guest thebun_88
Hi,

Yes, it runs pretty slow. I have a lot of patience so I put up with it (for awhile)... sold it and went to an O2 XDA IIi just as a boat chart plotter as well as car navigator... just don't use them as a phone anymore; although that functionality is convenient in some situations.

So yes, bit off topic; Graphite is slow for a 416 Mhz processor... you wouldn't think so looking at specs but in reality it simply is

The utility SK tools has a benchmarking program and the Graphite kills the SP5 on all counts. But in the real world, and normal use, the Graphite is the same speed, if not slower than the SP5. I suspect WM6 puts more load on the processor than WM5 on the SP5. Pocket IE seems to be very very sluggish on the Graphite. Try browsing the normal Modaco home page (not LoFi). Scroll down the page once its loaded and the scrolling slows down to a crawl as you get further down the page. No such proplem on the SP5. Its definitely faster on game emulators such as GNUBOY, but again that is not essential for a business tool!

The only plus points are;

1. Very bright, white screen which is better than the already good screen of an sp5

2. Much firmer joystick

3. WM6 appearance- the new icons and colours are very attractive

4. 3G-I've got a 3 Network Pay As You Go sim, with unlimited 3G data for £5 per month, and its reasonable fast

5. Camera is much better than SP5