Updated 11/04/07: Not sure whether the jump to Windows Mobile 6 is worth it?

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Update 11/04/07: A more verbose document is now available too. Thanks Jason!

Are you currently running Windows Mobile 5 on your Smartphone or PPC? Wondering what all the hype over Windows Mobile 6 is about? Or struggling to decide whether to wait out for a Windows Mobile 6 device (mm, love the Vox ;)) or grab a feature-packed Windows Mobile 5 device (the chunky HTC Athena or shiny Tosh G500!).

Then you should read this! Jason Langridge over at Microsoft recently posted a WM5-WM6 comparison checklist! A full rundown of WinMo features and which are supported on the respective versions of 5 or 6, plus an overview of the new naming conventions.

An invaluable resource to anyone in the market for a new Windows Mobile Powered device!

Windows Mobile 5 - 6 Comparison [PDF]

Original blog post

NEW: Windows Mobile 6 Reference Guide [PDF]

NEW: Original blog post

Guest moonshot

I would go for the one with more tick marks.

Shame, (as I've said many times) that there is no smartphone that has WM6. A device at 140 grams is a pocket pc not a smartphone.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Shame, (as I've said many times) that there is no smartphone that has WM6. A device at 140 grams is a pocket pc not a smartphone.

Ridiculous.

You think the Vox is a Pocket PC? ;)

P

Guest westernstorm

A friend of mine sent me installation of WM6 and it perfectly installed on my 02 EXEC.

I using it nearly a month, it could be some beta version but works perfectly. No probs so far and interface is much improved.

Guest thenext1

Yes, WM6 has the new graphics and all, but i would like some more savage improvement.

Look at every otherr phone... their menu's and icons are, like, glaced with melt sugar on them, full of reflections, alpha-blended PNG icons.

Microsofts counterpart still resorts to ugly 256-color, paletted, on-off transparency icons, and the most of them of the inappropriate size or bad drawn.

Yes, llooks is not the whole thing at all, but it does play a big part (IMHO)

EDIT: Not to mention the ridiculous 16-bit per pixel color limitation in effect even on WM6, that constrains the otherwise perfect LCD screens we've got... yes, the dithering is visible and it does look pretty bad. And there are other reasons, too

Edited by thenext1

Guest yrreP
Are you currently running Windows Mobile 5 on your Smartphone or PPC? Wondering what all the hype over Windows Mobile 6 is about? Or struggling to decide whether to wait out for a Windows Mobile 6 device (mm, love the Vox ;)) or grab a feature-packed Windows Mobile 5 device (the chunky HTC Athena or shiny Tosh G500!).

Then you should read this! Jason Langridge over at Microsoft recently posted a WM5-WM6 comparison checklist! A full rundown of WinMo features and which are supported on the respective versions of 5 or 6, plus an overview of the new naming conventions.

An invaluable resource to anyone in the market for a new Windows Mobile Powered device!

Windows Mobile 5 - 6 Comparison [PDF]

Original blog post

Nice find!

Guest proindigo
Nice find!

Wm6 downgrades some features from wm5 to wm6.

IF you have a wm5 on a pda, (eg hermes) you will upgrade to wm6 classic. Which will no longer let you cut copy paste from word or create a new word document!!!

Nice Looks like Microsoft are deliberately removing features to make the professional seem that much better.

Guest Paul (MVP)

No, if you have WM5 on a PDA, the equivalent OS is WM6 Professional.

WM5 Smartphone = WM6 Standard

WM5 Pocket PC = WM6 Classic

WM5 Pocket PC Phone Edition = WM6 Professional

P

Guest cerij

Does WM6 handle SMS delivery reports any differently to WM5? I am a long-time user of Windows Mobile, but I hate the way it cannot track the status of a sent SMS in the way that most mobiles (like my K800i) can - or even the Palm Treo - I just want to be able to look in my sent items and see if it's been delivered.

Hmmmm, the largest difference I can see is through the mobile messaging, but that's not really an issue for me as I don't really use Outlook. It's probably worth sticking with 5 and getting the SPV M700 rather than waiting for a more expensive 6 device, but, does anyone know if and how it will be possible to upgrade to 6?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.