Connecting M700 GPS to TomTom

Guest Brownstone

Guest raiderz
I'd have no problems using a Modaco start screen once I have a fully functioning device, however I need to get my phone back to its 'out of the box' settings so I can take it back to the Orange shop for an exchange.

BS...

Just ring OCS up and they send a courier to collect the phone, they get hundreds of these devices back, nobody checks them! I sent a couple of my M600's back with different ROMs on them and no-one complained!

• 9 months later...
Guest Bruce A
Have you enabled the GPS in the settings screen. THere is a reg hack for this. Think its in HKLM\ControlPanel\GPS Settings. Change the hide setting from 1 to 0. THen add another DWORD Group and make that = 2.

Reboot device and try again. More info elsewhere on modaco or xda-dev.

HTH

I am not very techie. Does the second DWORD group need a name?The default name is New Value #1.

I am at my wit's end. Before my M700 was unlocked it all worked fine. Then they loaded an old radio rom and it stopped working. I have had this updated to 1.38.00.11 but it still doesn't work. I have hard reset, re-installed TomTom and tried using COM8 (it worked before using the stettings suggested here). When I try setting up NMEA, it just stays on the screen which says:

COM3

GPS in COM9

COM7

RIL on COM6

S2410 IRDA

The only option given is Cancel, regardless of how long I leave it. Previously, it picked up GPS pretty fast. Wassup??

Operator ver 19.123.1.615

ROM ver 1.23.61.5

ROM date 01/25/07

Radio ver 1.38.00.11

Protocol ver 32.71.7020.12H

Edited by Bruce A

Guest Neil5459

I'm not quite sure what you are trying here! You say you are trying to connect via COM8, but TTN gives you the COM9?GPS option.

Have you tried GPS on COM9, with Baud 57600? This is the correct setting for the M700. In the GPS screen just tap the COM9 entry to select it.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to alter the GPS driver settings, by making the GPS Control panel visible. Note that the regsitry change doesn't enable or disable GPS itself, only the visibility of the control panel. The Radio ROM controls whetehr GPS is actually avaialble, and 1.38 certainly is. Are you sure the Radio update was successful- look in Settings/About, or Device.

Guest Bruce A
I'm not quite sure what you are trying here! You say you are trying to connect via COM8, but TTN gives you the COM9?GPS option.

Have you tried GPS on COM9, with Baud 57600? This is the correct setting for the M700. In the GPS screen just tap the COM9 entry to select it.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to alter the GPS driver settings, by making the GPS Control panel visible. Note that the regsitry change doesn't enable or disable GPS itself, only the visibility of the control panel. The Radio ROM controls whetehr GPS is actually avaialble, and 1.38 certainly is. Are you sure the Radio update was successful- look in Settings/About, or Device.

Many thanks fo ryour reply. In my OP, you will see the radio ROM etc release numbers which I took from the mobile after the update. So yes, it looks like the update worked. It was on COM9, set to max baud rate (not that that seems to make much difference as I hear the actual rate is really slow) before the unlocking clobbered my working TTN. Now it doesn't seem to allow me to select the NMEA device (yes, I've waited and waited, tried in different locations). I thought I'd try COM8 as some folk say that works but no luck (I regedited it so I could get the GPS setting option). I haven't added the additional DWORD group mentioned above as I don't know what to call it. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Any input gratefully received.

UPDATE: It's official. I'm a plonker!! Tapped the screen and it started searching for signal...now it works :)

Edited by Bruce A