How Do People Rate The Graphite?

Guest jhils1

Guest jhils1

What does everyone think of it overall, then?

I was quite impressed initially.

But the battery life is pathetic managing 48 hrs on standby NOT the 220 hrs quoted, and if you make calls, (even on GSM only) you barely get an hour talktime in 18 hrs without it dropping to below 25%

I m having problems with bluetooth as well-it wont detect other devices most of the time.

And wifi works but I cant get internet explorer to use it, it always tries to use GPRS

Edited by jhils1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Reado

Yeah, I thought it looked very sexy initially too. Very sleek!

However, it's full of faults!

For starters, the manual says the power light should glow yellow when it's being charged or synchronised via ActiveSync. It glows red instead! It's not just the handset either, the LED does the same on the other 2 replacements I've had in under a week!

When it's running low on power, which you can never tell because the battery indicator always reads "Full", it doesn't tell you it's running low on battery power. No flashing LED to tell you, no message, nothing! When you're least expecting it, off it goes!

The box states 150 hours standby, 4 hours talk-time. However, phone O2 and they'll tell you "180 hours standby, 5 hours talk-time". In reality though, and as you've quite rightly stated, 48 hours standby max! For me I found the phone would, after a full charge, run out of battery life on standby in 10 hours, then after another charge, 24 hours.

The moment you take the phone out of the box, it's completely reset, but has absolutely no GPRS/WAP settings. When you phone O2, they say "The phone cannot handle over-the-air configurations like previously models" - useless! What they don't say, which is rather simple, is "Just do a soft reset, which is hidden away in the menu where you can't find it, which will reset the handset and force a menu to appear asking you to choose "Basic" or "Corporate" config. Choosing the basic configuration gives you all these settings.

And finally, a minor but unusual thing I found when I first received the phone. Turning the phone over to find a nice 0.5mm chunk missing from the chrome ring surrounding the camera. At first, I thought the phone had been dropped, but it seems this is a "feature". Not sure why, but in my opinion gives the wrong impression if you're expecting your phone to look similar and intact, as a phone should look.

Conclusion? Waste of time! The XDA IQ / Vodafone v1215 is the phone to have if you're a company owner/businessman and you need something that works!

Guest jhils1

And the lens is recessed so it collects dust. Pull it out to take a pic and...it comes out all blurred cos of the cr*p thats colected in the recess.

I ve got mms problems-Cant get mms at with my Orange SIM-It needs to connect to "orange mms" but the phone wont let you create your own connection-You can only use the internet/wap/secure wap or work. Mine has "O2 setup/installation type" an app which sets the GPRS/WAP settings (for O2 only), it has the "coporate "and "basic" setting you mentioned with out the need for soft resetting...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Samsonite

where did you guys get your from? I have tried in vain to get hold of a unit to feel but have had absolutely no luck! No o2 store has a real unit available...

Guest harrysaab

good phone but quite slow, dont seem to work at 416mhz, my i-mate sp5 is faster ;)

also battery not good as i-mate sp5

tomtom works fine, tcpmp player works fine, google maps works fine,

But the battery life is pathetic managing 48 hrs on standby NOT the 220 hrs quoted, and if you make calls, (even on GSM only) you barely get an hour talktime in 18 hrs without it dropping to below 25%

I m having problems with bluetooth as well-it wont detect other devices most of the time.

And wifi works but I cant get internet explorer to use it, it always tries to use GPRS

Guest sparkymodaco
good phone but quite slow, dont seem to work at 416mhz, my i-mate sp5 is faster ;)

also battery not good as i-mate sp5

tomtom works fine, tcpmp player works fine, google maps works fine,

which version of tomtom? I guess v5 as I don't expect v 6 supports smartphone

Guest harrysaab

its tomtom v5.2

wifi works fine, also internet explorer picks up.

other softwares which work are: callfilter, vito audio notes, skype, opera browser, mccSMS2Go, regEdit, smartexplorer.

I can't get my smartphones to send files/contacts over bluetooth, it worked first time when i bought graphite, but now i can't send or receive files over blooth with i-mate sp5, nor i can send/receive files on sp5. both are paired. does anyone know why?

which version of tomtom? I guess v5 as I don't expect v 6 supports smartphone

Guest jhils1

I had problems initially, (using Sniper and the standard bluetooth app) especially with Siony Ericssons. But now its fine. At least for the moment!

Edited by jhils1

Guest davidjp

The battery issues seem to have sorted themselves out. I used to have a period where battery life would drop, but I'm not getting 2-3 days with only a 50% reduction in battery life.

Guest sparkymodaco

My 3rd day with the Graphite and I'm really happy.

Tomtom mobile 5 works fine, signal strength is very good, speaker whilst quiet is suprisingly clear.

I'll change my signature now I'm settled. Graphite is so much smaller than my old Vario II

I use the camera more, text message more (no slider) and take my phone out more as I keep it in my pocket all day.

Edited by sparkymodaco

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest modgnik

I'm rather ambivalent about this phone; some good, some frustrating points.

I was so looking forward to getting a phone with the features that my excellent HTC Tornado (imate SP5 variant) did not possess. ie. 3G and bigger internal memory.

I also tried the i600 Blackjack, sold it within the week, couldn't handle the Qwerty board. I reckon I'm just a candybar T9 er.

However there is light on the horizon!

On www.pdadb.net are the specs for the upcoming (July?) imate Ultimate 8150.

They are truly awesome and the size and volume look great.

Unfortunately, it seems that, according to msmobiles.com, imate are in the mire and their products could be delayed bigtime. I hope not. This is my phone!

Edit: Just lately realised the 8150 is touch screen. Not my phone after all.

Edited by modgnik