HTC Advantage coming to the US sans cameras... with WM6 as X7501!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Strange things are happening in the good old US of A when it comes to HTC and the Advantage.

Let's talk about the European release first.

The 'HTC Advantage' - formerly known as the HTC X7500 and codenamed the HTC Athena - is due to launch any day now direct from HTC, and is in fact alr

ady on the streets courtesy of T-Mobile, who sell an 'Ameo' branded variant. Both devices feature Windows Mobile 5, and 2 cameras (rear 3MP, forward facing VGA).

Now let's talk about HTC's USA announcements.

Yesterday, at CTIA, HTC announced the plans for USA release of the device. The Athena is to be launched stateside as the 'HTC Advantage X7500', featuring Windows Mobile 5, but strangely dropping both cameras. Kind of a shame really, when the device packs HTC's probably first ever half-decent autofocus shooter. An official press picture of the device is shown below.

Now the plot thickens. A second variant of the Athena is listed on the HTC site, named the 'HTC Advantage X7501'. Specs are identical, but it features Windows Mobile 6 rather than 

Strange no? No pricing or availability has been announced, and i'm going to seek clarification from HTC as to exactly what their strategy is for the two devices, but it seems a sure-fire way to confuse the market. Just to confuse things further, the official HTC.com site shows the X7500 WITH Cameras. DOH! ;)

P

27-Mar-2007_advantage.jpg

Guest mikeeey
So basically, you'll be able to get a device with cameras OR WM6. Not both on the same device?

hm thats a no brainer. get the one with cameras and then upgrade to wm6 haha

what phone provider will this be for? im not going ot get it, but the US hasnt got any pocket pcs in a while. someone notify me when a topic is created saying "Kaiser comes to US" that, i cant wait for.

Edited by mikeeey

They might be doing a business version without cameras, i know at my work the consultants dont have cameras on their phones because some clients wont let you take any sort of imaging device into sensitive areas.

To be honest this device would kill for anyone who currently uses a tablet PC for flicking inbetween meetings etc.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.