UBiQUiO 503G Pocket PC breaks cover

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Back in November last year, we reviewed the UBiQUiO 501 Pocket PC, and gave it a 'dependably average' device, giving it a thumbs up for cost and reliability, with points knocked off for so-so specs and unattractive industrial design.

Well, it looks like UBiQUiO have listened to our criticisms, and are prepping the follow up, the UBiQUiO 503G for release!

Full details are available on the site of UBiQUiO parent Expansys, specs are as follows:

• Windows Mobile 6 Professional
  • 256MB ROM / 64MB RAM
  • Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE, GPRS Class 10
  • Tri-band 850/1900/2100 MHz WCDMA/UMTS, HSDPA 3.6 Mbps
  • Intel Bulverde 520 MHz Processor
  • Bluetooth 1.2 wth A2DP
  • Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
  • 2.4" QVGA (240x320) screen
  • 2MP main camera, 2nd 0.3MP camera for video conferencing
  • Micro SD expansion
  • 123mm (L) x 65mm (W) x 15.7mm (D)

A decent spec i'm sure you'll agree! Looks to me like the Samsung i600 et al could have some competition on their hands, with the 503G sporting the more versatile Pocket PC Windows Mobile 6 Professional OS. I actually think the device looks quite nice, it rounds off some of the 501's sharp lines to nice effect, and hopefully retains the excellent keyboard found on its predecessor.

Launch is tabled for the end of June, but we hope to have a preview unit in shortly... watch this space!

P

29-Mar-2007_503g.jpg

Looks a hell of a lot nicer than the Jaq4. Chuck in GPS and its the perfect device!

Exactly what I was going to say ;)

still, I think I could get over the GPS, got to dig out the Dash's dimensions and do a compariton.....

Guest smeg36

I just got back from attending CTIA for Mobile Gadget News, and got to check this out at the UBiQUiO booth. It is indeed a very sleek, nice, small, device. The pricing I got from the packet they had available is $649.95 USD. It does have some great specs in addition to the nice look. The only thing missing is GPS, but that's easily added via BT. It definitely feel better in the hand than the JAQ4.

Guest galenyip

I'm interested in this device too... originally I'm deciding to buy the 501, but get the news that 503G is coming... just hope that it will come out soon... june is too far away....

here are some live pics from other sources... it looks really good!

source: http://ctia2007.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns&a...E!154.entry

ubiquio-503g-1.jpg

ubiquio-503g-2.jpg

source: www.pocketpc.hk

ubiquio503g-01.gif

ubiquio503g-01.jpg

ubiquio503g-02.jpg

ubiquio503g-03.jpg

ubiquio503g-04.jpg

ubiquio503g-05.jpg

ubiquio503g-06.jpg

source: www.mobilegadgetnews.com

post-1045-1175211017.jpg

post-1045-1175211032.jpg

Edited by galenyip

Guest dansus

Ok, im home. Loving this phone, my order is going in a week before release unless someone magically beats this device.

The industrial design could be a little better, i prefer the old design and key layout, but technically it does everything i need.

At last hsdpa and a decent processor in the e61 form factor. Im also praying it has a 3.5mm jack. I think the 520mhz will be a battery killer, tweak that down to 420 and all should be good. Im going to miss the S60 browser, but now that deepfish or whatever its called is on the go, seems that wont be such a loss after all.

Im guessing that you folks over the pond will be happy to see the 1900 umts. Im happy to see it, cos it means i can go anywhere in the world and use this sucker.

Bring it on. ;)

edit: Oh and with flashlite 3 coming out in june, this thing will be even more fun. Youtube and podcasts here we come.

Edited by dansus

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

I hope to receive one soon.

I can't wait, it looks a great device (hopefully the plastics don't look to cheap in the flesh).

P

Guest Urban Strata
I hope to receive one soon.

I can't wait, it looks a great device (hopefully the plastics don't look to cheap in the flesh).

P

Eagerly looking forward to your review, Paul. Do you think "soon" is the next week or two, or are we talking about a few weeks? :rolleyes:

Also, in your review, could you possibly give a quick overview of UBiQUiO's policies for support and/or repairs? A lot of people here in the States and elsewhere are considering UBiQUiO for the first time based on the phenomenal specs of this device, so a brief primer on what we can expect from the company would be most helpful. Thanks!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I hope in the next week or two, but can't be sure.

I'm not sure who handles their repairs etc., but they are shaping up to have a very good record when it comes to ROM updates etc!

More to follow...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.