Windows Media Player 10 moble - "The system cannot find the file specified" Help?

Guest Klip

I had a stupid program on my new 8525 that I've since removed called Pocket Music.

When attempting to uninstall it, the phone always froze. So I manually deleted the entire Pocket Music folder as well as used the Resco Registry Editor to delete all instances of Pocket Music.

I went back to my Music folder and chose to "Open with - Windows Media Player" and clicked the "Always use this program" button.

But now all I get is an error message - "The system cannot find the file specified"

and it's driving me crazy! I no longer have access to any of my music ;)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Guest matt1971

Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but the only time i had that error message was when i needed to update the WM library.

Open WM and just run the update library option and see if it helps.

Matt

Edited by matt1971

Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but the only time i had that error message was when i needed to update the WM library.

Open WM and just run the update library option and see if it helps.

Matt

Matt -

THANK YOU for saving my day! I was up for hours last night trying to fix this and thankfully I don't have to spend more hours today trying.

Your suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you sir ;)

I spoke too soon. When accessing the audio files via the Windows Explorer, I still get the error message.

The only way I can play my music files is if I open Media Player first, then choose Library.

Any other suggestions?

Guest impy78
I spoke too soon. When accessing the audio files via the Windows Explorer, I still get the error message.

The only way I can play my music files is if I open Media Player first, then choose Library.

Any other suggestions?

I have got a similar, but slightly different problem:

I synched my music as normal to my card, but when i go into media player and try to open my music from there, it brings up the error message "The system cannot find the file specified"

I have not used any other music programmes on it.

I have tired to re-synch it to no avail, and when I select "Update library", it finds all the music, but then crashes when it tries to add it to the library....

Guest matt1971

Any other suggestions?

Sounds like the other app you installed has removed the file association for wma files.

Using something like total commander allows you to reassign file associations. I think you'll need to do something like. From within total commander, find a wma file, select properties then associate to the wmplayer.exe

Other than that ask over at xda-developers forums - they are usually a lot more populated than here unfortunately.

Matt

Guest matt1971
I have got a similar, but slightly different problem:

I synched my music as normal to my card, but when i go into media player and try to open my music from there, it brings up the error message "The system cannot find the file specified"

I have not used any other music programmes on it.

I have tired to re-synch it to no avail, and when I select "Update library", it finds all the music, but then crashes when it tries to add it to the library....

Just a thought, close WM player and delete the folders MSMETADATA and WMDRM from the storage card and also if there is a microsoft folder (Check its contents first - should be media related) in the Application Data folder in the main memory.

Launch WM player again and update library (it might tell you that you need to anyway) and see how you get on....otherwise see my previous post about xda devs.

Matt

Guest impy78
Just a thought, close WM player and delete the folders MSMETADATA and WMDRM from the storage card and also if there is a microsoft folder (Check its contents first - should be media related) in the Application Data folder in the main memory.

Launch WM player again and update library (it might tell you that you need to anyway) and see how you get on....otherwise see my previous post about xda devs.

Matt

I love you!!!