Palringo Beta Launched

Guest Zone-MR

Guest Zone-MR

Thanks to all of you who took part in alpha testing codename Switchboard last March...
Now, after several months of active development by the Palringo team, it's evolved!

Say hello to... Palringo

http://delta.palringo.com/hotlink/modaco.png
Vocal Instant Messaging
"A great, inexpensive way to connect and communicate"
"Transforms your mobile into a walkie-talkie: communicate with a contact or a group at the touch of a button"
"Like Instant Messaging, but with the option to use voice as well as text and photos"
Key Features
Voice: use your mobile to chat with friends by speaking or texting
Messaging: leave messages even when contacts are not connected
Availability: Instantly see status of contacts
Interoperability: Connect to users of popular PC IM systems
Open: Works independent of your mobile service provider

The application currently supports the Smartphone, Pocket PC, Windows XP and Windows Vista platforms.

Visit the Palringo site at palringo.com and sign up for the beta trial. Basic functionallity within the application is free, and will remain free.

Once you have downloaded Palringo...
... join the group MoDaCo to access the live MoDaCo chat!

Guest nickcornaglia

Great app! Extremely cool indeed. Zone has done a great job growing this app and I cant wait for future functionality.

In addition...it makes my MoDaCo experience much more enjoyable! :D

By the way Zone....is that future functionality listed anywhere? (Not that its not great as is!) ;)

Guest Zone-MR

@encence: We don't currently have a comprehensive list of future functionallity at this stage - mainly because some things are still to be decided, and others are so cool that if we told you, we'd have to kill you ;)

@mwright: You have now been accepted to the trial. We try to keep the waiting time below 1 hour.

---

On another note, the Palringo Push-To-Talk technology can bring substantial benefits to enterprise users – such as simplified coordination of fleets and teams.

We are about to initiate several managed enterprise trials, and we invite companies who may be interested in these to contact us via the support section of the www.palringo.com site.

Guest The Doctor

Don't suppose you can add any Mac/Linux/Unix support? ;)

If your planning to expand to other mobile phone platforms via Java, it should be theoretically possible to create a Java based version for Mac/Linux/Unix (like armadillo which is java based)

Guessing here btw if you haven't already worked that out :D

Phil

Guest Zone-MR

The Doctor,

We are close to releasing a beta of our Symbian and J2ME versions, and are considering Linux/Mac ports.

In the mean time, Linux users should be able to use the Windows version under Wine - a few of our developers use Linux exclusively, and we are unaware of any Wine-specific issues.

Guest The Doctor
The Doctor,

We are close to releasing a beta of our Symbian and J2ME versions, and are considering Linux/Mac ports.

In the mean time, Linux users should be able to use the Windows version under Wine - a few of our developers use Linux exclusively, and we are unaware of any Wine-specific issues.

Thanks for the heads up Zone-MR ;) Much appreciated

Phil

Guest dishe

"Interoperability: Connect to users of popular PC IM systems"

Like which ones?

Currently, I've been using Skype Mobile to do many of the things that this app does. Its not exactly push to talk, but its better than a phone call for a quick message, even over GPRS data speeds. I can also IM other skype users, whether on another mobile device or PC.

The PTT feature is nice, but I haven't missed it ever since I had a nextel iDen phone years ago. The real appeal for me, however, is whether this will also let me chat with users of IM applications such as AIM... that's something I can't do with skype, and there is a serious lack of decent IM software, especially ones that are free!

Guest conan_troutman

I installed the Beta but as i dont have a data package its pretty much useless to me

when will developers start to to make more for those of us who are confined to only WAP access on our phones and not the Luxury of HTTP.

that goes for Fizz and their weather developers too

Guest Paul (MVP)

In a nutshell, this application is not aimed at those with only WAP access. As encece rightly points out, the OS isn't really either!

P

Guest conan_troutman

thats a bit unfair cos there are so many things my phone can do to make my work and home life so much easier that non of my pre smartphones could do for me.

plus with free WIFI connections around the town centers were I live (these maybe stolen connections but hey thats thier fault not mine) and at home its not like HTTP is totally impossible but WAP access is usefull when youe can't make those connections

Guest bugmenot2
Interoperability: Connect to users of popular PC IM systems

Does this application offer voice connectivity to users of GTAlk, Yahoo, MSN and AOL IMs?

Guest nickcornaglia
thats a bit unfair cos there are so many things my phone can do to make my work and home life so much easier that non of my pre smartphones could do for me.

Plus with free WIFI connections around the town centers were I live (these maybe stolen connections but hey thats thier fault not mine) and at home its not like HTTP is totally impossible but WAP access is usefull when youe can't make those connections

I always forget about WiFi because I dont use it given that I use Cingular's 3G.

Of course, the phones DO offer alot of functionality that doesnt need OTA data, PIM functionality, other apps, etc.

But for me...it's the web apps that make it what it is. Actually...I'm always looking for more apps that access the internet.

WAP is limited, and in my opinion, not the future for mobile phones. Full data web pages and apps are the way to go.

QUESTION: Isnt wap data limited (capped) by most carriers? If so, then you would only be able to do so much.

But if you use WiFi....isn't Palringo usable using WiFi? I would think so.

Guest nickcornaglia
Does this application offer voice connectivity to users of GTAlk, Yahoo, MSN and AOL IMs?

A question for ZONE-MR to answer, but I hear it is planned in future functionality.

Guest conan_troutman

when I get the opertunity to use palringo as you say its via wifi but i generally connect direct to msn its easier for me.

WAP is not capped by my service provider they are just tight when it comes to offering HTTP data for pay as you go customers always trying to get me to get a contract, but no contract can beat my pay and go set up

i could change to another provider but then I lose the great talk and text on my PAYG sim

WAP is a dyeing service but Not on O2 uk PAYG its our only option.

Guest conan_troutman

I haven't tried the O2 proxy have you details of how to access through this way, the reason I never tried or persude it was I heard the had found a way to stop the proxy from working.

but I'll try any thing if it comes with instructions

Guest Zone-MR

Connectivity to other networks is currently in the final stages of internal testing, and we hope to make this available shortly. We will post an update here as soon as this is available for public beta testing.

Guest Swampie
plus with free WIFI connections around the town centers were I live (these maybe stolen connections but hey thats thier fault not mine)

The Police don't have that opinion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/herefor...rcs/6565079.stm

"Two people have been cautioned for using people's wi-fi broadband internet connections without permission."

Nice to have a criminal record for using someone's WiFi....

Guest The Doctor
Nice to have a criminal record for using someone's WiFi....

I prefer my punishment for my neighbour using my Wi-Fi... Filled his hard drive full of empty read-only undeletable .txt files courtesy of the 'Shared Documents' folder on his PC ;) After that I promptly secured my network :D

Either way... if your stupid enough to leave your Wi-Fi unsecured then you must accept the consequences.

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest conan_troutman

I agree totally with the doctor but lets be honest where is the harm in piggy backing your emails or weather updates on a "free" wifi connection hardly ilegal activity is it.

Guest The Doctor
I agree totally with the doctor but lets be honest where is the harm in piggy backing your emails or weather updates on a "free" wifi connection hardly ilegal activity is it.

Course it isn't, this country seems to be lacking a great deal of common sense... and FAR too much paperwork...

Phil

Guest Swampie

Unfortunately, it is illegal in the UK.

Just because someone has left their front door open to their house doesn't mean you're entitled to go in, pick up their phone and make some calls. You have no way of knowing whether the owner of the WiFi router pays per MB for their data, or whether your usage takes them above their usage limit. Saying, well it's their fault for leaving their front door open, and anyway, they get free phone calls doesn't change the matter. The actual offence was "dishonestly obtaining electronic communications services with intent to avoid payment".

Additionally, you have no knowledge what systems they have running behind it. I know some people have proxies which intercept all transmissions and logs them. Nice when your email username and POP3 password is sent in the clear. Additionally, there have been cases of people running a DNS proxy which intercepts any DNS requests and takes you to a clone of popular websites (eg. Paypal, or banks etc) and then capture their account details. You typed in www.paypal.com, your PDA/PC or whatever says you're viewing www.paypal.com, but actually the IP address given to your machine for www.paypal.com actually corresponds to www.paypalphishers.com and you'll never know it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.