Where is Messenger? - Vox from oranage

Guest simonridley

Guest simonridley

Maybe I'm being really dumb here, But I got a Vox from Orange today and there is no windows messenger program anywhere on the device I'm sure! Certainly not in the basic start menu

Anyone else found this who can shed some light?

Cheers!

Simon

Guest Samsonite
It's, er, not there.

Orange seem not to have included it in the ROM, unlike on the HTC device.

;)

P

this could be a show stopper for me...

Can i simply flash it with a ROM that does have it on? Are the ROM's available like this yet?

Hope this isnt breaking forum rules asking this one.....

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

You could, of course you aren't entitled to use ROMs from other OEMs as you bought it from Orange...

Odd though, seeing as not so long ago O announced a partnership with MS and WLM, which is also still in beta. So...maybe in a future update?

Mmmm. Perhaps it's all to do with making more money. Look at this 3 promotion...

http://three.co.uk/personal/price_plans_/p...e_messenger.omp

Having received my E650 this morning, I'm feeling really cheated. One of the attractions of the keyboard was the ability to use MSN without relying on predictive text. I can feel a complaint to Orange coming on.

Guest Rhinestone

Its one of two things I kinda miss from the C500 / 600. The other being the Infra Red. It was usefull sometimes when I had problems bluetoothing stuff to my mates inferior mobile phones.

Still. I guess you cant have everything!

Guest Tomvdz

mmm..that's strange. I have a SPV E650 from Orange in the netherlands, and here is the live messenger installed as default... so I don't know why you wouldn't have it?

Guest nexxexium
mmm..that's strange. I have a SPV E650 from Orange in the netherlands, and here is the live messenger installed as default... so I don't know why you wouldn't have it?

Indeed live messneger = MSN so you should use live messenger.

Guest Paul (MVP)

?!?!?

So they left it on the Dutch ROM?

That's even worse!

Bah ;)

Does the Dutch E650 ROM have the traditional Orange homescreen?

P

Guest nexxexium
?!?!?

So they left it on the Dutch ROM?

That's even worse!

Bah :rolleyes:

Does the Dutch E650 ROM have the traditional Orange homescreen?

P

As posted earlier the dutch E650 has same ROM as S710 : 5.2.1235.17740

There is one Orange homescreen but its not the one seen on orange pictures. Because the task bar is on top instead of on the side. Live messenger is avialable.

Try this link on your s710

New_WinRAR_archive.rar

Edited by nexxexium

Guest evilc

Apart from Agile, another option is Pocket MSN, which is basically exactly what was on the C600.

http://mobile.msn.com/ac.aspx?cid=pmsn_market

Downsides are that it costs £10.99, and there's a small bug with flipping message windows from portrait to landscape meaning the text disappears off the screen until you close and open the window again. Slightly annoying, but it is usable.

Clive

Guest Samsonite
Apart from Agile, another option is Pocket MSN, which is basically exactly what was on the C600.

http://mobile.msn.com/ac.aspx?cid=pmsn_market

Downsides are that it costs £10.99, and there's a small bug with flipping message windows from portrait to landscape meaning the text disappears off the screen until you close and open the window again. Slightly annoying, but it is usable.

Clive

cheers for the link.. i've just signed up to it. I just hope the Windows Live mobile is free upgrade! :rolleyes:

a bit of a cheek for Orange to remove it tho.

as for the landscape bug. i looks to me that if you start the chat in landscape it works fine but going back to portrait it only uses the upper half of the screen!

Edited by Samsonite

Guest incognitolad

I really want to ise Pocket MSN on my E650...

I have it installed, but I can't activate it - I either get the activation page in Chinese or I get a message saying 'The plan you have selected is unavailable'

I'm really willing to give Microsft my £10.99 but for some reason they don't want to take it!

Has anyone got any ideas?

Guest Samsonite
Anyone tried this?

http://www.octro.com/

P

:rolleyes: typical!! if i had known about that earlier tonight, i might have saved 11quid for a coupla weeks!! i would have tried it but dont have the need now!

incognitolad

sorry mate, it went fine for me... followed all the prompts from the link here in the thread and it was spot on.

Guest mstephenson

Just been reading about that new Orange data deal over on the registry. I see the new £8 per month deal excludes instant messaging services :rolleyes: however I did notice tucked away in the interview that Orange are still planning to release there own messaging service in the next few months, which they claim will be the best service for mobile users (well, they would say that wouldn't they?!). So looks like they've removed live messenger to force us all into using there own service...one thing that doesn't explain though is why Dutch Orange users still get it left on there phones!

Guest skazz
Just been reading about that new Orange data deal over on the registry. I see the new £8 per month deal excludes instant messaging services :rolleyes: however I did notice tucked away in the interview that Orange are still planning to release there own messaging service in the next few months, which they claim will be the best service for mobile users (well, they would say that wouldn't they?!). So looks like they've removed live messenger to force us all into using there own service...one thing that doesn't explain though is why Dutch Orange users still get it left on there phones!

Us Dutch users have totally different data services. So I guess they are not planning to emulate their UK colleagues just yet, and could just afford to leave messenger on the ROM.

Guest peekie

Seems all the dutch roms on all the range have had on wm5 msn always , and now its windows live on wm6, why holland has it and the uk do not ? well simple we have a bigger range of spv's than the uk :rolleyes: and i guess we like our orange and the uk dont :P

Guest Tomvdz

Maybe it has something to do with the rumors that Orange Netherlands is for sale, and that they already know they won't be taking part in this new 'Orange Messenger' project. Or they just rushed the rom, and forgot to leave out messenger

• 1 month later...
Guest Menneisyys
Well I just tried Octro... It didn't go well!

I might write a summary of the free im options...

P

Did you publish it in the meantime anywhere? (Just working on mine as a Smartphone update for my somewhat older (thir February), PPC-only IM Bible.)