Backlight won't turn off!

Guest TDK

Guest Paul (MVP)

Now why can't software developers just manage the backlight properly!

IIRC TomTom used to cause this too if it didn't exit cleanly.

P

Guest kegia20

after changing registry string value to 30, if i open tomtom, the value goes back to a very high value (453807 for example).. solutions?

Guest abowen500
after changing registry string value to 30, if i open tomtom, the value goes back to a very high value (453807 for example).. solutions?

Hey gang,

I've had success with creating the Dispay value as a DWORD. I think a string value is contributing to your problems. My Vox is configured for the backlight to remain on for only 10 seconds but the screen is on indefinitely for GPS use. The screen and backlight both turn off in under 10 seconds when I lock the device.

Guest El Matarife
Great tip. I had the same problem after installing tomtom 5.2 on my SPV E650 and was searching for a solution.

I have some feedback too: Using MobileRegistryEditor.exe (version 1.1) I was able to make the setting change without needing any application unlock.

Maybe that's because my Dutch SPV E650 doesn't have an application lock, or maybe that's just because of how MobileRegistryEditor.exe works. Anyway, solution tested and working great.

I also just used MobileRegistryEditor.exe v1.1 on my UK Orange SPV E650 to correct the HKCU/CONTROL PANEL/POWER value to 30.

The app worked like a dream and connected to the phone first time. I did not have to application unlock anything.

I got my phone as an upgrade direct from Orange, I'm wondering if only phones purchased from Orange shops have the locked "Access Denied" problem?

My last smartphone was also an upgrade and I never found an app I couldn't install on it - hence I've yet to need to go through the app unlock procedure (which thereby remains a mystery to me!).

Guest El Matarife

Righto, as is the way with software I spoke too soon...

Altering the registry value has caused a strange side-effect:

After the specified time delay has lapsed, and just before the backlight dims, the phone's display now reverts to the home screen. So if you're pausing for a moment while using any app (say typing a text), before the screen dims it jumps back to the home screen. You then have to press the back up button to return to what you were doing before.

Anyone else had this?

This is annoying.

Guest Griff_FFOC

Maybe a silly question, but have you tried altering the "Timeout" in the "Start >> Settings >> HomeScreen" page? Or is it doing something it shouldn't?

Guest kegia20

nobody can help me? I told that i changed the value in power -> Display to 30..but my light turns completely off only if i block the keypad.. :rolleyes:

Guest El Matarife
Maybe a silly question, but have you tried altering the "Timeout" in the "Start >> Settings >> HomeScreen" page? Or is it doing something it shouldn't?

Yes, you were right. The homescreen thing actually had nothing to do with editing the POWER value in the registry.

I had managed to alter a completely unrelated setting without realising.

D'oh!

All working now.

Guest nehvada
Hey gang,

I've had success with creating the Dispay value as a DWORD. I think a string value is contributing to your problems. My Vox is configured for the backlight to remain on for only 10 seconds but the screen is on indefinitely for GPS use. The screen and backlight both turn off in under 10 seconds when I lock the device.

that worked perfect for me, thanx!

the display value was originally there and changed to 4billionsomething. but quite funny after a hard reset this value disappeared, but the timeout still was messed up. so i created this value as dword and bingo! :rolleyes:

Guest colonel_butt

The bug about the backlight not turning off is not due to any particular program. I just fiddled with the power settings and then it stuck on. The code is forgetting to reset the backlight. This should be fixed in the next firmware release.

Guest Blaufeld
Great tip. I had the same problem after installing tomtom 5.2 on my SPV E650 and was searching for a solution.

SAME exact prob after installing TT5.2 on my S710 - and the solution worked great, too! :rolleyes:

Just here to say thanks.

I had both the timeout and the backlight problem as betaplayer had changed it to 453807.

Extra thanks to Griff_FFOC for pointing out the obvious, it's not a very well worded section of the phone and i'd altered it without realising!

Guest LechuckE650
you have to change a registry key i think it is HKCU/CONTROL PANEL/POWER then values and change it to 30 or 60. this is a knowm bug on vox (see www.smartphonefrance.fr for further info)

This forum is great. Only been a member for a day but you guys have helped me out twice so far. This backlight bug was really doing my head in.

Cheeeeeeeers :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carlos Fandango

This bug has been an issue for me for a number if days now. Glad I checked up on this before doing a reset.

What's the best reg editor to use which doesn't require copying to the sd card using a card reader?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moham_i

I have a E650 and my display value in control panal was set to 0, changed it to 30 and backlight now turns off after 30 seconds!!! Woohooo!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest magrab
This forum is great. Only been a member for a day but you guys have helped me out twice so far. This backlight bug was really doing my head in.

Cheeeeeeeers :)

As above - great site...many thanks <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DJ Pierre

I have some little bugs with the powercontrol.

- My registry is set on 30 seconds, but sometimes it won't go black. I have to restart the phone and it's fine again. There are no programs running in taskmanager when it happens.

- My Betaplayer turns black when i'm watching a movie, is it possible to keep the screen alive when i'm watching?

Guest cranked
you have to change a registry key i think it is HKCU/CONTROL PANEL/POWER then values and change it to 30 or 60. this is a knowm bug on vox (see www.smartphonefrance.fr for further info)

sweet. I have an HTC S710, same thing happened. Fix worked great. Thanks!

Guest kidinspace
Create one called 'Display'.

You will need to Application Unlock your device.

P

Ok, how do i app unlock my device? its an Orange UK E650, and i have this backlight problem, i now know the solution but i don't know how or where to get a reg editor from and how to use it properly.

I downloaded and installed MobileRegistryEditor but when i run on my PC i get an error if i try and run it on my phone i get an error and now my head hurts, if someone could give me step by step instructions that would be great.

This does my head in cos i find it dead easy to configure a Cisco router from scratch but i can't get into the registry on my damn phone!

Edit 2:00am...it would appear that i am THICK! I didn't have .net framework 1.1 installed hence why it would run!

Next important question is...why does my clock gain an hour when i run TomTom or Sync with the PC???

G.

Edited by kidinspace

• 2 weeks later...
Guest witchnut
What am I doing wrong? this is what I've ended up with (registry entries from Mobile Registry Editor v1.1 attached) but backlight still glows for ever.

Matt

Forget the above, screen now timing out OK, thanks all.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wizgnome

I had the problem whe running TomTom mobile 5.2 and TCPMP, however I found the instructions about which registry key to change unclear.

This is what I did to fix the problem.

Using a registry editor I created a dword value

HKCU/CONTROL PANEL/POWER/Display

then I set its value to 60. - number of seconds for timeout.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...