Using Internet Explorer with a WiFi connection on HTC S710(Vox)

Guest Slippy

Guest Slippy

Hi Everyone!

I am having trouble getting internet access through WiFi.

This is my first smartphone with Wlan support so I could very well have missed some fundemental settings.

This is how I have done:

x Turned on WiFi, found my FON router, added it

x Applied following settings:

Authorizing: WPA-PSK

Datacrypto: TKIP

Network key: entered correctly

x Phone connects succesfully to FON router

I tried to connect the public wifi FON network and it works fine now

A friend of mine who has a Nokia N91 could connect through my router just fine without any trouble.

All he had to do was a search for wifi networks, selected my network, entered key, and voila!

What have I done wrong?

Edited by Slippy

Guest Samsonite

i had the same problem...

The phone saw the Netgear router i have but would not connect under any conditions! The phone could see the WiFi network and indeed was bleeping at me that it can see it but would it connect? nope!

eventually, messing about with the encryption got me a connection.. but then all i get is a Page Cant be found error!!

The WiFi light is flickering on the router but no internet pages are availble to the phone

i am not a happy bunny... the two reasons i got this device was the WiFi and the hope of getting MSN whilst out and about... with no Messenger and flaky WiFi, this could well be headed back to Orange before the weekend is out...

anyone sussed it out yet?

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Amplificator

I've had no problem at all connecting my S710 to my routers (got 2).

Try removing all security and passwords and see if it can connect.

The only problem I've encountered is that it will not connect (or at least is very unstable) when the device is connected to the computer - anyone else tried that?

Guest Samsonite

right...

Got mine running now.

It was a continuos and methodical process of trying different security and encryption types. Its now stable with these settings:

Authentication: Shared

Data Encryption:

Guest Samsonite

right...

Got mine running now.

It was a continuous and methodical process of trying different security and encryption types. Its now stable with these settings:

Authentication: Shared

Data Encryption: WEP (128 bit on the router)

Network Key set to the long 26 character one rather than the passphrase

Channel settings were kept at default (11).

EAP setting (whatever that is) at PEAP

Now whenever i turn the WiFi on, it finds and connects to the Netgear router automagically!

Now, the problem i do still have is the actual browsing itself. Everything seems to go thru some kind of compressor - i dont get a full internet access to a site. You have to type the full http:// address in to the address bar of IE Mobile (but that has a limit on characters - it wouldn't let me put in http://www.national-lottery.co.uk for example because it ran out of room!! how crap is that!!) and then it finds what can only be described as a WAP based site... i know it wasnt WAP but it was not full internet like on my desktop PC. It goes to some kind of search before actually going to the address...

The Modaco site could be got at with a bit of messing about but then i couldn't View New Posts as the dialogue box that appears after the click asking which Fora to search thru wouldn't appear!

So whilst i can browse (of sorts) i will be looking for a solution that lets me put an proper browser AND an IM client (Orange have not done anyone any favours clipping that on out of the OS). If i can that sorted in the next day or so, then i shall keep this.. Anyone sussed an App unlock yet? ;)

assuming i can also live the sloooowness of the device, i swear my old E200 was faster at some things...

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

that APP unlock seems to have done the trick - although i am still waiting for the file to be sent thru to my Hotmail address. It arrived at my 'normal' e-mail address about an hour after i filled in the webpage so i can vouch for the process.

I've loaded the Agile Messenger trial, Card Cache and VitoCopy so i can definitely say its unlocked!

as for the slowness.. its markedly slower than my Magician and the screen flip from portrait to landscape is more than sluggish when watching something in Media Player- it will pause, skip and take upwards of 5 seconds to stabilise...

Going to keep it tho, it looks the business and is exactly what i am after in terms of functionality so any compromise on the performance is fine with me!

Guest Slippy

Thanks for your input, I have tried your way with testing with different encryption options. But I can´t use the secure encrypted network.

As I have a FON wifi router there is two networks on that one, secure private one and FON user public one.

Now when I logged on to the public one that doesnt use any encryption or anything there is no problem using it.

The problem starts when I log on to my secure network...

It connects fine accepting my passkey and getting that wifi symbol that show up when youre connected.

However I cannot access any webpage, it just says: Page not found or something like that.

Ill keep you updated, will tell about any solution I may stumble upon.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Just tested mine with my FON router and it seems to be OK on the private network?

Admittedly I have switched the private network to WEP rather than WPA for various reasons.

P

Guest Griff_FFOC

Can I get mine to work on my wireless net, can I heck.

I've changed my Router from WPA-PSK down to WEP, and gave it a 26 character key, everything else as standard.

After switching the wireless on, it finds my Netgear Rangmax router fine, tells me it's encrypted and prompts for the key. After entering the key it seems to be connected fine. It status reports that it has an IP number and shows connected, but I just can't get anywhere in IE.

The only other thing is i've got it restricted on MAC address, but as i've got an IP addresses and seem to be connected i'm not sure that's the issue.

I've also got a G symbol near the arial indicator as if it's using/used GPRS which won't go away.

Here is what the router is set to if anyone has any ideas?

router.jpg

Cheers for an help on this one.

Guest _Nemo_

Has anyone got a connection with the phone using proper encryption? (i.e. WPA/WPA2) WEP is heavily broken and can't provide a secure connection. This is a big deal to me, and if the phone doesn't support at least WPA-PSK I won't bother with it.

Edited by _Nemo_

Guest adicken

So far i have got mine to talk to my Wifi network at work. It a large network and the E650 connects easily to all access points.

My big test was to get it to talk to my Orange live box at home. After a bit of fiddling I managed it ok. I used a WEP key and ensured the connection was for Internet. I must say that i am impressed by the speed of this thing. It really is fast over the internet using Wifi. Day by day I am getting to like it so much more ;)

Guest gcparris

Paul, are you setting the internet DNS servers to the OpenDNS server IP addresses instead of the T-Mobile DNS servers? Is it worth doing this?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul, are you setting the internet DNS servers to the OpenDNS server IP addresses instead of the T-Mobile DNS servers? Is it worth doing this?

I am, always do, and yes... find initial connections noticeably quicker.

P

Guest Griff_FFOC

I've switched all wireless security off, so it's using an open network.

Switched off my MAC filtering off too so any man and his dog can connect at the moment,

I've even changed my router DNS to 'opendns' addresses.

My PC connects and and can browse fine. (Albeit unencrpted, lol)

But still, I can get connected to the router (according to the phone wireless status page), but I can't browse to any pages in IE on the phone. One strange thing in the router is when I list 'attached devices', it only shows my PC as being attached to the router and not the phone.

This is really starting to irritate ;)

stresscartoon.jpg

Guest StephaneM
This is really starting to irritate ;)

You're not alone in this boat :D

I was previously using a Qtek 8310 and it was working like a charm with my Wifi acces point (an old Netgear ME102). But there is no way to make the E650 works with my access point period.

The phone is connected to the AP, gets an IP address from the DHCP server, but it seems it cannot establish a connection with anything at all (I cannot even ping the E650 from a PC, wheras I can ping the Qtek...)

So, I tested another ME102 AP (it is a backup one and it's firmware is newer than the one I use; though unfortunately I think it is dead somehow because when I setup the AP with a regular PC the PC couldn't get an IP address from the DHCP server, though a manuall assigned one worked go figure !). Anyway I tried the E650 with this backup AP and assigned it manually an IP and at least the phone has managed to load a web page using an IP address as URL and not a host name : so it has connectivity but there is something wrong with the DNS (obviously because I assigned a manual IP address, so where can we set the DNS server, no clues...)

So I really think that it has something to do with the access point (your AP / router seems way more recent that my old ME102 so I really don't understand, you may also make sure that you set up the phone so as to use "Automatic detection" for each "Work" / "Internet" place : you'll find this in "Settings" / "Connections", tap "Menu" then "Advanced").

Regards,

Stéphane.

Guest Griff_FFOC
You're not alone in this boat ;)

The phone is connected to the AP, gets an IP address from the DHCP server, but it seems it cannot establish a connection with anything at all (I cannot even ping the E650 from a PC, wheras I can ping the Qtek...)

So, I tested another ME102 AP (it is a backup one and it's firmware is newer than the one I use; though unfortunately I think it is dead somehow because when I setup the AP with a regular PC the PC couldn't get an IP address from the DHCP server, though a manuall assigned one worked go figure !). Anyway I tried the E650 with this backup AP and assigned it manually an IP and at least the phone has managed to load a web page using an IP address as URL and not a host name : so it has connectivity but there is something wrong with the DNS (obviously because I assigned a manual IP address, so where can we set the DNS server, no clues...)

So I really think that it has something to do with the access point (your AP / router seems way more recent that my old ME102 so I really don't understand, you may also make sure that you set up the phone so as to use "Automatic detection" for each "Work" / "Internet" place : you'll find this in "Settings" / "Connections", tap "Menu" then "Advanced").

Regards,

Stéphane.

I found a couple of threads elsewhere of people having problems with Pocket PC's and the latest firmware on the Netgear DG834PN routers, so I downgraded it back to the original firmware, and I still didn't have any luck. Even with security off alltogether.

I did manage to get the M3100 I had in Janurary connected on WEP on this router so not sure it's totally the routers problem.

My issue is the same as you describe above, but i've not found anywhere to manually set the IP number or DNS on the E650.

I'll switch my security off again tonight and see if changing 'Internet' from "Orange Internet" to "Automatic" makes any difference, but i'm not too optimistic.

I wonder why the phone has options for WPA, WEP, WPA-PSK, WPA2, WPA2-PSK if they've don't seem to work very well. Doesn't it suggest that if you are away on business and try to connect to someone elses network/router that it's more than likely not going to get connected.

This is heading more to going back on the 7 day agreement, and going for, dare I say it, an N95

Edited by Griff_FFOC

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm have a 4 different access points here (don't ask), and my S710 at least works fine with all of them, with a mixture of open, WEP and WPA.

;)

P

Guest Slippy

Ok I away from town for now. Over here I connected to a WEP secured networked,

found it, entered passkey, and it´s working!

Paul, you did manage to connect AND surf the internet with WPA-SK?

I am asking because my phone said I had an correct connection with ip-adress and all,

but I still couldnt access pages on my FON WPA-SK network.

But when I come back home I will try to change my FON to WEP to see if it helps.

Guest StephaneM

Well, I changed today my way too old Netgear ME102 for a D-Link DWL 7100AP and now all is well (even with WPA-PSK). So it seems that the phone will not tolerate some clunky access point.

The Netgeat ME102 was working with a Pocket PC with a Symbol CF card, a Qtek 8310, an Acer C102Ti Tablet PC and the Wii without problems for years with minor glitch here and there : disconnection when transferring large files with the Tablet PC and it was very difficult to update the Wii / download software from the Wii Shop. So I can say that it was working just enough for me but anyone else would have trashed the thing already (especially when in use with the Wii).

So if you are having problems with the E650 :

* double check your connection settings : the E650 seems to reset some settings itself (for instance on mine the Internet and Work connection was changed from "Automatic" to whatever default settings used in the first place (Orange something), or changing E-mail sync from Exchange to local PC...)

* verfiy that you also choose "Best Performance" for the WiFi power saving feature, with any other settings connection may not be so reliable.

* maybe it's time to change your AP (I'm pretty sure that all recent AP / Routers are fine enough, my ME102 is a very very old thing).

Regards,

Stéphane.

Edited by StephaneM

Guest chromium67

I am baffled........

Mine worked fine with my Sky Netgear router.

Today I connect and it just won't let me browse on explorer.

I have not changed anything and I have definately got the correct settings.......it's driving me batty.

Using WPA-PSK. The router is a Netgear DG834GT.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

John

Guest hlascelles

My Vox initially connected to my wireless router, and allowed browsing (WEP encrypted, no probs). Then, after about 10 mins, one of the requests stuck with the blue circle spinning (the handset was not locked up, it was as though the web server was taking ages). No amount of changing sites fixed it. Restarted IE....

I then tried Opera (Not Opera mini). It never had the problem above and seems really good (tabbed browsing etc), but suffers from a fatal flaw: It assumes you have a touch screen to get into the "URL bar" at the top! You have to use its default Yahoo search box to get to a site whose URL you already know.

If you think you're connected, but aren't sure if IE is just giving you the run around. Give Opera a bash, and let me know if you figure out the URL bar problem! Opera Mobile

Guest Paul (MVP)

Are you using the SP version of Opera or the Opera 8.65 Beta? If so, the left soft key has a menu with the option to enter an address.

P