Why did Microsoft remove Bluetooth DUN?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
thumb_26-Apr-2007_winmoblog.jpg

If you have a Windows Mobile device with Windows Mobile 5 AKU3 or above, you may have noticed that the DUN profile has mysteriously disappared.

The DUN profile, used to connect a laptop to the internet using your mobile device, retrieve data from the internet using a TomTom standalone device as well as many other applications, has been replaced with support for Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network)... much to the dismay of many affected users.

Over on the Windows Mobile Team Blog, in 'Why did me remove Bluetooth DUN', we get an insight into the thinking behind the decision.

Head over to read the article in full, however i've included the real juicy paragraph below.

So you may be thinking, ok, Internet Sharing is really cool but why did you need to remove Bluetooth DUN?!? My car kit or Mac does not support Bluetooth PAN and I relied on this legacy technology.

Actually, Microsoft did not remove Bluetooth DUN completely. We still ship this technology to our OEMs. It is included in an optional package that OEMs and operators can decide to ship on a per device basis. Internet Sharing is also in an optional package. We did change one thing though. Internet Sharing is included by default and Bluetooth DUN no longer is.

Bluetooth DUN is a legacy technology that is likely to disappear over time. Especially when you look at the great experience Internet Sharing provides with Bluetooth PAN. It also does not make sense for cellular radios to continue supporting a legacy interface just to enable Bluetooth DUN. In the past we received a lot of criticism about Modem Link, especially related to usability. For this reason we decided not to include it by default.

Anyway, based on continued feedback from the community, we have changed our minds! We will bring Bluetooth DUN back by default in a future WM6 AKU release. Keep in mind that OEMs and operators still have the final say whether DUN will end up on a specific device.

It's nice to see Microsoft reversing a decision made, IMHO, unwisely.

Enjoy! ;)

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.