GPS on a SIM!

Guest Gorskar

Guest Gorskar

Browsing the Register today I noticed that a UK company, Blue Sky Positioning has somehow managed to get a GPS receiver, including the antenna onto a SIM card!

Apparently this clever trickery is done using A-GPS technology, so most of the processing load is offloaded (possibly to an assistance server over the mobile network), however the feat shrinking the rest of the GPS circuitry to fit into a SIM is pretty impressive!

The company already says it has prototypes, and is aiming for production samples to be ready in July.

The idea of being able to upgrade any phone to gain GPS capability just by swapping the SIM card sounds extremely cool ;)

Guest Sp00k
Sounds intriguing, hope they make it reality...

Hmm...

"Following publication of a significantly strengthened EU directive, expected later this year, EU member countries will have just 18 months to implement a law requiring operators to identify the precise location of callers to the E-112 emergency services..."

Can you say, "Big Brother Will Be Watching You" ?

Not that he isn't already... I downloaded and installed Google Maps recently on a brand new N95, zoomed in on the mapping display without entering any search parameters or activating GPS and ended up less than two miles from my current location. Unless it's one hell of a coincidence, or I live in close proximity to the centre of the Google world map, both of which I very much doubt, that's worrying!

Guest The Doctor
that's worrying!

Sp00ky even :P

Couldn't resist :rolleyes:

What makes this SIM GPS even better is that its not a SIM+ card :D

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest Sp00k
Sp00ky even :P

Couldn't resist :rolleyes:

'Must try harder in future', eh doc? :D

What makes this SIM GPS even better is that its not a SIM+ card :D

Phil

What makes it worse is that as the SIM is the 'bit that makes the wheels go round' there'll be no option but to use it! The thought of having a mobile that broadcasts my location to within a few metres, indoors or outdoors whenever it's turned on, is NOT a comforting one! ... So that the emergency authorities can locate you... My Eye!! ... This forthcoming EU dictate is a security measure!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.