Reminders not playing a sound

Guest Griff_FFOC

Guest ICQ_Eagle

I just checked the XML file on my unbranded XTC S710 and there is definitely nothing missing! So this seems to be another Orange homemade problem...

Guest gerben

It IS indeed the switching of the profiles that causes this bug. (Or is it a feature... :) )

Anyway, I found a rather stupid solution that works for me: I changed the reminder/initvol to 1 OF THE SILENT PROFILE....

So, if set the phone to SILENT, everything is quiet, only the reminder will give a (very modest) sound. I set it to some soft beep and I'm happy with it.

Guest ICQ_Eagle
Again, does the Warning Sound play on anyone's device (i.e. when deleting a message)? :P :)

Yes, it does! Are you all using the Orange branded version?

Guest Looby
Yes, it does! Are you all using the Orange branded version?

Yes I am using the Orange version running Paul's Debrander&Fix pack. The sound will play in the Select Sounds area but not in the Warning Pop-up places. Thanks for your reply :)

Guest paholman

My phone no longer vibrates. Have installed the cab in this post, and warning sounds are ok, as are the reminders, but vibrate doesn't work at all.

It works in Mundu, but not in the profiles

Anyone else noticed this problem, or know of a solution?

TIA

Guest paholman
go set it to vibrate in the new profile setting that has now been made via the profile menu that should do it

I set all profiles to "vibrate then sound", or "Vibrate" only on all alert sounds, none of them vibrate

Guest paholman
The way I see it;

The inital problem seems to lie in the normal.prof.xml fle not containing the settings to modify the registry to reenable the reminder tone.

If you modify the registry setting manually, when you switch to silent or vibrate the registry will be set to silence the tones accordingly. Because the settings are missing from the normal.prof.xml file, when you switch back to a normal profile, the registry won't be set to reenable the tones again.

You would have to set the registry manually, again.

I ended up overwriting my normal.prof.xml file with one I found elsewhere that worked, this seems to have done the trick.

Now whenever I switch back to a normal profile (from silent or vibrate), it reads the settings in the xml fle, modifes the registry and the tones work again.

This is the content of my normal.prof.xml file. Have a look in your "application data\profiles\normal.prof.xml" and see what is missing when compared with mine below.

<characteristic type="Normal"><characteristic type="Registry">

<characteristic type="HKCU\ControlPanel\Profiles\Normal">

<parm name="Name" value="Normal"/>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Sounds">

<parm name="RingTypeAll" value="av0pw3r"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Registry">

<characteristic type="HKCU\ControlPanel\SoundCategories">

<characteristic type="Ring">

<parm name="InitVol" value="4"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Alarm">

<parm name="Script" value="pw10pw10c110pw10c110pw30c110pw30c110pw30c110pw120c110pw300c110p"/>

<parm name="InitVol" value="5"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Notification">

<parm name="Script" value="v0p"/>

<parm name="InitVol" value="3"/>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Reminder">

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

<characteristic type="Sounds">

<characteristic type="System">

<parm name="InitVol" value="2"/>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

I think my "vibrate" issue is caused by an inconsistency between this file, the Meeting and Silent ones and the registry settings.

I installed the Cab in one of the previous posts to fix the reminder issue, which I believe overwrites the XML in \Application Data\Profiles.

Griff_FFOC, are you saying changing the values via the Profiles > Edit method, does not update the registry, does not update the XML, or both?

Any ideas how I can sync the two, so changing my profile values via Profiles > Edit , actually works and makes the updates where it needs to?

TIA

Guest Griff_FFOC

the way I see it, if you customise the normal profile, it creates a normal.prof.xml file in appdata/profiles.

Whenever you then select the 'Normal' profile in the settings >> profiles menu, the device reads the normal.prof.xml file and modifies the registry with the settings from the file.

By default, a normal.prof.xml file is missing this section:

<characteristic type="Reminder">

</characteristic>

This is the registry settnigs to enable the reminder tones. As it's missing, the registry doesn't get changed.

I just did a hard reset and had the problem back, I modified my 'normal' profile in "Settings >> Profiles", this created the normal.prof.xml file, and indeed t was missing the above section. All I did was then overwrite the normal.prof.xml file with one I had that contained the above code and it worked fine.

Guest Griff_FFOC

If you edit profiles via the Profiles >> Edit method, the only thing that is changed is the contents of the xml file. When you select a profile i'm presuming the xml file is read and this then modifies the registry.

I didn't run that cab as the only thing I wanted to change was the normal.prof.xml file. The rest of my xml profile files had different filenames to what was in the cab, and though I was told it was fine, I only wanted the normal profile xml file.

Now if I hard reset, I just copy over my normal.prof.xml and the rest work as they always have done.

Guest BarryFell

Nice one Griff. That sounds like it should work.

However, i'm getting this problem when trying to overwrite the existing profile with the edited one:

phoneprobrs9.jpg

Any ideas? I can't see how to turn off write protection.

Edited by BarryFell

Guest paholman
If you edit profiles via the Profiles >> Edit method, the only thing that is changed is the contents of the xml file. When you select a profile i'm presuming the xml file is read and this then modifies the registry.

I didn't run that cab as the only thing I wanted to change was the normal.prof.xml file. The rest of my xml profile files had different filenames to what was in the cab, and though I was told it was fine, I only wanted the normal profile xml file.

Now if I hard reset, I just copy over my normal.prof.xml and the rest work as they always have done.

Thanks for the info.

I found an additional "Script" REGISTRY key for SMS that shouldn't be there, and this value was being used (which didn't include the vibrate option) instead of any of my profile settings. I removed it, and now all is ok.

Editing profile now, all works fine.

Guest Griff_FFOC

I was going to suggest that it may need app unlocking using the Orange France websites tool, but I thought the profiles folder wasn't locked for editing.

Guest BarryFell
I was going to suggest that it may need app unlocking using the Orange France websites tool, but I thought the profiles folder wasn't locked for editing.

That worked. Thanks :)

Guest BarryFell

I couldn't set it to switch to 'normal' profile after i'd edited it. Oh well, I got round it by editing a profile I never use (silent) to what 'normal' usually is and it seems to work fine. :)

• 1 month later...