Vox build quaity poll

Guest Exodia

Guest Exodia

Its time for me to buy a new phone and the Vox is at the top of my list, but ive been reading complaints about the build quality, particularly the looseness of the 2 halves when closed. I may choose a different phone if most people report it as being loose because i know it will bother me. Im also concerned about the quality of the buttons, excessive creaking would bother me too. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Guest gcparris

Mines loose but the buttons are fine.

Its time for me to buy a new phone and the Vox is at the top of my list, but ive been reading complaints about the build quality, particularly the looseness of the 2 halves when closed. I may choose a different phone if most people report it as being loose because i know it will bother me. Im also concerned about the quality of the buttons, excessive creaking would bother me too. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Guest Radeon12345

My E650 is great buttons are perfect but does have a tiny little wobble at the bottom but nothing that should bother anyone. Overall it's a fantastic phone :rolleyes:

Guest KillBait!

So far my one isnt bad.. there is a bit of play from the keyboard when it's closed up now.. but only notice it if i use it right handed

Guest skazz

I think you need to revise the poll... there are clearly two sorts of Voxes: tight slider with a very small amount of wobble (say 0.5mm) and seriously wobbly (say 2mm).

Guest Exodia

I'll leave the poll as it is.

It would seem that more people have a secure one than a wobbly one. I guess i'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope i get one thats perfect.

Now, where can i buy this in the US? :rolleyes:

Guest El Matarife

The E650 buttons have a rubberised feel are very solid, much more so than the wobbly plastic buttons on my old C500 (although even they never failed). The silver "home screen" and "back up" buttons do move a little.

There is some gentle movement between the two halves during everyday use, because of the sliding keyboard. The bottom half can slide a little to the right (or is that the top half slides to the left?) from the pressure of your thumb when you hold it right handed - but that's because the keyboard slides out to the right! I would imagine all models of phone with a slide out keyboard are like this (never had one before)?

the autocentering mechanism for when you release/slide the two halves together matches them up perfectly again though.

The build quality seems to be fantastic for such a revolutionary design. My only genuine complaints are that the on/off button is recessed a bit too far and the micro-SD cards are very fiddly to get in and out - as they are on the keyboard side of the top half of the phone.

Guest flight23

So, I can compare three devices.

First, because I couldn't wait, I bought an EU-Version of the Vox, with QWERTY-Keyboard. Here the Slider is perfect. It is very tight, it snaps open quite sharp and the buttons are very good.

Afterwards I received two german devices with QWERTZ-keyboard. Those were not as good as the EU Version. The buttons are very good two, but the slider is quite loose. So I couldn't decide whether I should keep the EU device or not.

Thanks to this forum and the multilingual T9 cab I guess I will keep my first Vox.

Guest hanami

I also have the german version of the vox and can confirm, that the build quality is not so good. In closed condition the device seems loose, escpecially the lower part with the keypad. It can be moved left for 1-1,5mm. But the buttons are in a good condition.

I think I won't put it away, because besides of this I like the phone.

Edited by hanami

Guest Griff_FFOC

How's everyones silver 'action' key?

Mines seems to really quite loose, in that it can be rocked quite a lot side to side, but not much in way of up or down.

I'm thinking this is maybe the reason why the directon left and right click sound like they are sticking down. ie. Press it and release it and you get the usual button press sound, but just after that there's another click like the button is releasing further. Up and down keys are fine.

Guest colonel_butt
My E650 is great buttons are perfect but does have a tiny little wobble at the bottom but nothing that should bother anyone. Overall it's a fantastic phone :rolleyes:

agree. I would not say mine has a wobble, more like it requires less force to slide out then one might expect.

in general, this is a fabulous phone. Its tiny and countours and rubberised texture make it perfect to hold.

Guest zen123

Other than mine being slightly loose in the closed position, and even this is within my tolerance levels, there's nothing else to complain about. All the buttons click positively & the slide action is smooth & positive. All in all very impressed. Only complaint I have is the screen although glorious indoors its useless & unreadable in bright sunlight.

Guest spark9990

Just got my vox today, mine is a little loose when closed. should i give return it or bare with it. do you think they'll just replace it with another loose one?

Guest flight23

I guess they wouldn't replace it at all.

I told the vendor of my german Vox (bluehand.de) about the loose slider in closed state.

They told me, that most of the devices they had in hand hadn't been any better. They described it as 'in tolerance of HTC'.

This wouldn't be a reason for getting the phone replaced.

Therefore I will be sending my german device back and keep my perfect EU one.

Edited by flight23

Guest spark9990

Hi,

The people i purchased the phone from replaced it, just waiting for it to come back in stock which is this coming monday.

If it is loose this time i'm just going to accept it and keep it, the phone will become like that eventually anyway.

Guest mutejute

my screen is a little bit wobbly but it doesnt bother me and the buttons and everything is fine. the firmware/software has major bugs though such as cant install anything on this phone. another bug is when i use automatic profile and when it switches to vibrate mode, some apps will not work anymore, the application will only show the window title but no app screen/display. its random, it could be the calendar or the task manager or the internet explorer. i have to turn off the phone when this thing happens.

Guest MIDAC Solutions

Being my first Smartphone, I find the S710 very well built. Yes, there is some play between the two halves, and I think HTC should seriously look at some type of locking tab that when engaged solidly locks the two halves together. Basically, there should be a small slider or button to press before you can slide the two halves apart. It's a little annoying when you talk on the unit and your thumb tends to slide the top half slightly to the left side.. never far enought to actually open it, it just feels funny.. but I guess like anything you get used to it.

Otherwise a great phone.. have it syncing with our Exchange server no problem (except if you try to sync your "Sent Items" folder ,then the Push doesn't seem to work anymore.. bug?) and most software I've tried on it works great!

Guest Griff_FFOC

My problem is when I use the keypad with my right hand I feel the keypad moving about. Also when using two hands I can feel the keypad rocking from side to side too, when pressing the left side of the keypad down, and then the right for example.