GPS on HTC 3600

Guest the_evertonian

Guest the_evertonian

Does the HTC 3600 have built-in GPS or not? I am confused by the amount of conflicting info out there.

Edited by the_evertonian

Guest Neil5459

Yes it does.

From the moment it was pre-announced, it was advertised as having GPS on board, but initial problems with conflicts between the 3G phone, and the GPS signal in some locations meant early samples were supplied wihout the GPS activating software. HTC and Dopod both released 'non GPS' ROM's at the beginning, as did Orange France.

Around February, Dopod released the first 'GPS Enabled ' ROM update, followed by Orange France. Orange UK then launched their version of the P3600 with a GPS enabled ROM from the outset, but Orange themselves seemed unaware of the fact, and still don't advertise the M700 (Oranges version of the P3600) as having GPS. Some Orange customer service people still say there is no GPS, and that you have to buy a bluetooth receiver, despite the M700 pack inserts including a link to Orange's own online navigation system.

HTC then released their own 'GPS Enabled' ROM in March.

So, it's not surprising that there is still confusion, but a quick look through the posts in this forum should reassure you.

Guest the_evertonian
HTC then released their own 'GPS Enabled' ROM in March.

So, it's not surprising that there is still confusion, but a quick look through the posts in this forum should reassure you.

Really helpful post Neil - thanks a lot.

If I were to buy a 3600 from Expansys now, would I still need to download and install the GPS ROM, and how easy is this to do?

Guest Neil5459

You would need to ask them which version they supply- there was another post somewhere (I think on XDA Devs) saying Expansys supplied the P3600 with the original ROM, and with an update CD which was supposed to upgrade the ROM, but for some reason it wouldn't work.

Having said that, upgrading a genuine HTC P3600 is easy because you can download the update from HTC's website, along with a couple of utilities to make life easier. Remember though that updating the ROM erases ALL your data, so if you are going to do it, do it before you have loaded too much stuff!