O2 Flame now on SeeO2.com

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
img_flame.png

Pretty it ain't, but there's no debate about the hotness of the specifications of O2's latest debutant on SeeO2.com, the XDA Flame.

Aside from running the outgoing Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC OS, the device packs the following specs....

• Approx. 126(L) x 74(W) x17.5(T) mm
  • Weight with battery: 190g
  • Intel® XScale® PXA 270 Processor at 520 MHz
  • NVIDIA® GoForce® 5500 GPU
  • 2GB + 64MB Flash ROM
  • 128MB RAM
  • microSD expandable memory
  • Standby up to 170 hours (WCDMA) / 200 hours (GSM)
  • Talk time up to 2.5 hours (WCDMA Video calling) / 4 hours (WCDMA voice calling) / 6 hours (GSM)
  • Li-polymer battery, 1,620mAh
  • 3.6” TFT VGA LCD display with touch panel 480 x 640 dots resolution Supports 262K colours (65,536 effective)
  • 2 Megapixels CMOS Auto-focus 4X digital zoom camera
  • Secondary VGA CMOS camera for video calls
  • White LED strobe flash
  • Stereo speaker
  • SRS WOW HD (surround sound experience)
  • FM Radio with RDS function
  • Built-in Wireless LAN 802.11b+g^
  • Bluetooth® SIG version 2.0 + EDR
  • Infrared IrDA with remote control capability
  • USB On-The-Go (Full speed up to 12 Mb/s)
  • TV-Out connector
  • Mini-USB port
  • Audio jack (2.5mm Ø)
  • Tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900
  • WCDMA 2100

...which definitely raise the bar in a number of areas.

For me the design is a bit offputting, as is the lack of keyboard or GPS. But... is the XDA Flame the device for you?

P

Guest Rob.P
For me the design is a bit offputting, as is the lack of keyboard or GPS. But... is the XDA Flame the device for you?

Ditto, I don't think I can live without a proper keyboard now, would have also liked a better design, like the idea of an Nvidia GPU though, would definitly make watching vids on a device a lot better/easier. That and I'm an Nvidia fanboy.

Guest Swampie

VGA screen at 3.6" with 3G data rates and 2GB storage? I use my Vario's keyboard infrequently (although do for text messages and some URLs - but I probably send less than 3 messages a month!). More and more I'm just using it for browsing the web, maybe watching videos, but a larger screen and VGA res is perfect for me. I've used a Pocket LOOX VGA res device a bit at work and love it. Would love to get a VGA res device. :rolleyes:

Guest agent.m

Id take it for the spec. but would probably use my vario for word processing :P

I'll hold my breath on the camera quality though :rolleyes:

Edited by agent.m

Guest djfuego
Id take it for the spec. but would probably use my vario for word processing :P

I'll hold my breath on the camera quality though :rolleyes:

Bye-Bye Orange!

So that's what the Ohhhhhh in O2 means..

Ohhhhyeah!

Nvidia Goforce huh? what's the use of this chip. dose the device have vga out?

Edited by djfuego

Guest mikeeey

no keyboard? the solution is a Dell Axim X51v. thats what this device reminds me of, besides the fact that it's actually a phone. it needs a keyboard and then it would be great!

Guest ianpac

Never understood why people want a tiny keyboard on their PDA. I can type much faster using my stylus. With a 3.6 inch screen, the keys are large enough that you rarely make a typing error unlike using your fingers on those tiny keyboards.

Anyway with USB OTG you can always plug in a standard keyboard and type away. I hope someone writes a driver that will allow you to use a mouse as well then the Flame will be really practical for business use. Imagine it plugged into a monitor as well, that would be a sight. This is about as close a PPC has got to becoming a UMPC.

James - this is O2 Asia release so no plans yet of releasing it in the UK.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.