Great phone! Just one issue...

Guest taffer

Guest taffer

Hi everyone,

I got the HTC S710 yesterday and I'm not disappointed at all. It was a bit pricey (I paid $500 US for it after taxes, shipping, etc), but I think it was well worth it.

There's one I'm not used to, though:

My Exchange server requires that I have the automatic keylock feature enabled with a PIN to unlock it. On my old T-Mobile SDA (Tornado) and Audiovox SMT5600 (Typhoon), I overcame the issue by changing the "Prompt if device unused for" to 24 hours. This made it so that I could easily unlock the keypad by pressing left 'soft-key' followed by '*' as long as I've used my phone within 24 hours. But with the S710, I have to type in my PIN every time I need to unlock the keypad which is quite annoying. Also, MS Voice Command doesn't seem to want to function while the phone is locked, which wasn't an issue on my Tornado. Is there any way around this? I pay for my Exchange service through 1and1, so I'm not sure about the possibility for them to turn off this feature as I don't seem to have any control over it. I don't like having to fiddle around with my phone to make a call while I'm driving...

Well, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Guest conan_troutman

have you tried one of these two applets on your VOX bith are rumoured to work on it and both fully support unlocking of the phone with the code but they do it for you so its as simple as just using the keylock unlock feature you mentioned above

one is autoflight by cyberhorse though it is not free its a great applet.

secondly there is autokeylock by maniac this will also allow you to remove the button that you use for VC from the lock feature so that it will work when locked.

I have one question how are you finding the loss of the headset profile and car kit profile is it as troublesome as some people have lead me to believe.

Guest taffer

Thanks conan! I'll try those out soon. I've also found out from 1and1 that push mail requires that this security feature be enabled.

As per your question regarding the headset profile:

I haven't had any issues regarding the loss of the headset profile in WM6. I'm using an Aliph Jawbone BT headset and I haven't had any issues with making/picking up calls or using MS Voice Command 1.60 other than not being able to use it while the phone is locked.

A2DP works okay on my device, but the quality is not that great. I'm using a Motorola HT820. The sound comes through as stereo sound, but is crackly and static-y. It seems to be an issue with the MS stack built into the phone, since I have no issues with the headphones using it with my computer.

I hope that helps. And again, thanks for your help.

Guest conan_troutman

thats helps loads if you have a look round these forums you will see tha there is a tweak to reduce the crackle on stereo headsets when using A2DP.

one more qustion you could answer for me as most people don't give me a staright answer.

when using your headset does the phone change profile at all or does it stay in the selected profile that was last chosen by your self, basiscally all i want to know is if I have it on silent and forget to change it to a profile with sounds when i get in my car and connect to my car kit via BT will it change the profile so I can hear incoming calls or will i miss every call till I remeber to change the profile.

Guest taffer

I just tried maniac's Automatic Keylock and it doesn't solve the problem. I have the setting to "Keylock," but when the keylock activates, the whole device is locked requiring me to enter a pin. Also, MS VC still doesn't work.

Guest taffer

The profile does not change when connected to the headset. For example:

I have the profile set to Vibrate right now. When I turn on my BT headset, the headset icon appears, but the profile stays on Vibrate.

Guest conan_troutman

ok first thanks for the reply on the profiles now to your problem

I think you are going to after use a combination of autokeylock and autoflight ones free and one has a seven day trial.

use autokeylock to set the key free wich you use for activating VC you will need to head over to mainacs web site and get the correct reg entry from there.

secondly you will need to use autoflight to do the quick unlocking for you it will still lock your phone and you will still need the pass code but by using autoflight it should put in the code for you so all you have to do is just a quich one two button press to unlock...trial it for free from this address

http://inputshow.googlepages.com/autoflight.htm

I do hope it works for you I must say the more I hear about WM6 the more I want to never have to upgrade from WM5 seems to buggy and too many needed features have been removed

Guest taffer

Thanks for all of your, conan. I'll try that a little later today.

The registry tweaks made the A2DP more bearable, but still not that great...

Guest taffer

conan:

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but are you looking for the phone's ringtone to ring through the bluetooth device? When set on silent/vibrate, my Jawbone still rings, but the ringer is its own separate jingle, not a real ringtone coming out of the phone.

Guest conan_troutman

yes and no

i dont really care where the sound comes from or how it comes through...ok Ilie..i would prefer to switch to a profile set to loud for all sounds... basically on my wm5 phone my headset profile (used for the BT car kit in in our second car ) and the car kit profile are set to loud so when I get in the car and have my strereo on loud which I do I can still hear my incoming calls.

but if the phone stays on silent on WM6 due to the two missing profiles then I will have to remember to turn the volume up before I get in the car or which to be honest I always forget to do....

using autoflight will help as it changes profiles at set times...but I do not always work to set times....

think when I eventually get a WM6 phone I am going to have to look at making some changes to have it switch profiles automatically when the headset and carkits are connected even if it just to the outdoor profile.

thanks for the reply any ways...

Edited by conan_troutman