Hi All

Guest Junglist_HTC

Guest Junglist_HTC

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Windows Mobile 5 and Smartphones and PDA's. I've just bought one and it's my first one.

I've just bought a HTC 3600 and have spent the last 3 days searching the internet for help on setting it up. But there seem to be allot of junk out there to wade through, an I've finally ended up here! :rolleyes:

I understand that it has GPS but only on a later version of the ROM (which I think is the windows version).

So, what I'm confused with is that I have checked and I have the latest ROM version that is available at the HTC website.

I'm having trouble setting up the GPS software that I downloaded.

I've downloaded this...

http://www.efficasoft.com/gpsutilities.html

In the set-up I'm unsure of what com port and baud rate to use for my phone, so the utilities dosen't work correctly, everything shows as 0, like letitude, altitude, speed etc, even the compass dosen't work.

Dose anyone know the settings for this?

And are there any other settings to change other than this?

Also, if anyone can suggest any nice applications and toys for this phone I would appreciate it.

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by Junglist_HTC

Guest Junglist_HTC

Thanks for the help, just restarted it and it's told me that I have used my 60 minute trial so I'm off to look for some other software now :rolleyes:

Anyone know of any basic free GPS software to try?

Thanks again, sorry for the silly questions.

Guest Junglist_HTC

Firstly, sorry for the double post.

Ok, so I downloaded richessegps (a program that uses GPS for geocaching).

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-downlo...gps-v1-0-4.html

I've set the com port to com9 and baud to 57600.

I still don't seem to be having any luck though.

I'm on a Vodafone contract, and have the HTC p3600

I've tried to install the latest ROM,

but it seems the one I downloaded from HTC is the same as the one that came installed on the phone.

ROM Version: 1.23.405.2

ROM Date: 03/11/07

Radio Version: 1.38.00.11

Protocal Version: 32.71.7020.12H

ExtROM Version: 1.23.405.103

Model No: TRIN100

I'd greatly appreciate any help you guys can give me on figuring this out.

Many thanks,

Shaun.

Edited by Junglist_HTC

Guest Neil5459

Shaun- you do have a GPS enabled ROM, so that's a start!

GPS signals themselves are relatively weak, and generally can't sustain through walls/girders etc. As Paul says, above, the settings are COM9 and 57600 Baud. Each satellite broadcasts Almanac (constant data) and Ephemera (changing data) which are picked up by your GPS receiver.

To obtain a signal for the first time (First Fix) you need to be in a position with a clear view of the sky, preferebly outside; the process can take up to 10 minutes, so be patient. Subsequent fixes should be quicker as long as you don't change your position too dramatically between fixes.

For a small, free GPS 'indicator' look in your Programs menu for 'GPSInfo'; it is included with most HTC GPS devices; If not in the Programs page, open File Explorer, and look in the Windows folder for a file called GPSInfo, then tap its name to run it.

Guest FORCEFOXFIVE
Thanks for the help, just restarted it and it's told me that I have used my 60 minute trial so I'm off to look for some other software now :D

Anyone know of any basic free GPS software to try?

Thanks again, sorry for the silly questions.

If you purchased yout Trinity from HTC, you can upgrade to WM6 AND TomTom Navigator6...for free :P

If you didnt...well, you could purchse it like i did from Handago for around £58 which includes maps of UK, Ireland and major roads of Wesrtern Europe...including Spee...i mean Safety Cameras :D

...just a thought :rolleyes:

Guest Neil5459
If you purchased yout Trinity from HTC, you can upgrade to WM6 AND TomTom Navigator6...for free :rolleyes:

Not yet you can't!

The HTC official upgrade is WM5 AKU 3.3; HTC have no plans to release a WM6 update, though they are planning one for the P3300 Orbit/Artemis); even then it is by no means certain that the mobile operators will offer it.

The 'free' TomTom is only a 'Taster' and allows you to download and use a very small map segment. If you want full mapping, you still need to buy the whole TTN program.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Junglist_HTC

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I've been away on business and getting to grips with this phone!

Well, you were right, for the first fix I needed to get outside and get a really strong signal.

Works great now thanks!

Yeah the tomtom I got with it is a trial version with a download of 1 small map.

Guess I'll buy it though, it's not too much and I'm familiar with tomtom.

While away I've been using the phone as an MP3 player with the USB headphones.

One anoying thing is that when I turn the screen off, media player stops!

Aghhhhhhh!!!

Looked through the options and couldn't see anything, so I'm having to leave the screen on.

Ok so the light goes out, but the screen is still on so surely that uses allot of juice right?

I thought there would be an option somewhere to allow media player to opperate with the screen off?

Anyway, thanks allot for your help lads, I'm coming allong well with the phone now, I can VPN into work, use it as sat nav, mp3 player loads of stuff.

Beats taking 3-4 devices round with you!

Guest Ovie

What you need to do is go into options, then buttons, and set one of the buttons as "toggle screen", then press that button and you can use media player with the screen off :rolleyes:

Guest scorpy
What you need to do is go into options, then buttons, and set one of the buttons as "toggle screen", then press that button and you can use media player with the screen off :rolleyes:

The option to "toggle screen" doesnt appear in the list on my M700, is it easy to add?

Guest FORCEFOXFIVE
Not yet you can't!

The HTC official upgrade is WM5 AKU 3.3; HTC have no plans to release a WM6 update, though they are planning one for the P3300 Orbit/Artemis); even then it is by no means certain that the mobile operators will offer it.

The 'free' TomTom is only a 'Taster' and allows you to download and use a very small map segment. If you want full mapping, you still need to buy the whole TTN program.

''oopps'' :rolleyes:

Guest Neil5459
The option to "toggle screen" doesnt appear in the list on my M700, is it easy to add?

Ovie was referring to the Options in Media Player, not in the general options for Button Assignment.

Guest Junglist_HTC

Well all's running well, quite impressed with WM5 as I had never used it before.

One little thing that's bugging me is that one of my options has gone.

I'm sure when I first had the phone I could click on a file, then send and an expandable menu popped up so I could choose how to send. (i.e. mms, text, bluetooth etc.).

Now there's no expand and it takes me to a screen to send by mms, text, email but no bluetooth, I can't seem to send anything via bluetooth now.

Any ideas?

I hope I haven't changed something without knowing it, I don't think I have!

Thanks again.

Guest Neil5459

The Menu item below 'Send' is 'Beam', and this is the one you need to send via InfraRed or Bluetooth. It looks like it's IR only, but after searching for an IR recipient, it will search for BT connections. IIRC, this is how it has always worked :rolleyes: