Strange fault

Guest Hoopy

Guest Hoopy

I've been a long term reader of theses forums for ages and have used some of the tips (the GPRS IP address one is fantastic!) but have now encountered a problem.

I have a Vario on T-Mobile in the UK. It's been fantastic for the last 16 months but, on Friday, did somethign strange. I'd sync'd it with my PC and had left it on to charge via the USB to the PC while I was still working on the PC. I got the disconnected device sounds from the PC and the phone and since then it's done nothing.

It won't charge, either via the PC or mains USB cable.

The PC doesn't recognise it.

It won't swith on unless I remove the battery and re-insert it. I swith the phone back on and the T-mobile startup page reappears, fades, and the screen then goes black again.

I've tried to hard reset at this point and get the blue Windows mobile screen before it too, fades and the screen goes black.

I've spoken to T-mobile and they've confirmed I can claim a repair or replacement under the product's 2 year warranty but wanted to know

1) what's caused this fault?

2)Anyone had similar?

3) What's the prognosis for a fix?

I'm due an upgrade in 6 weeks and it seems a bit ridiculous that T-mobile may send me a replacement phone and I then claim an upgrade to a Vario 2 or a N95 a few days later.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Guest Neil5459

This sounds like the battery is totally dead, which isn't unusual for a device this age. Once it gets to the point where it won't hold a charge at all, even mains power may not work.

It could also be a problem with the main board charging circuitry.

Go ahead with the replacement; at least if you upgrade, you'll have either a spare phone, or a saleable asset! (get an N95 and you'll probably want to return to the Vario anyway :rolleyes: )

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Hoopy
I've been a long term reader of theses forums for ages and have used some of the tips (the GPRS IP address one is fantastic!) but have now encountered a problem.

I have a Vario on T-Mobile in the UK. It's been fantastic for the last 16 months but, on Friday, did somethign strange. I'd sync'd it with my PC and had left it on to charge via the USB to the PC while I was still working on the PC. I got the disconnected device sounds from the PC and the phone and since then it's done nothing.

It won't charge, either via the PC or mains USB cable.

The PC doesn't recognise it.

It won't swith on unless I remove the battery and re-insert it. I swith the phone back on and the T-mobile startup page reappears, fades, and the screen then goes black again.

I've tried to hard reset at this point and get the blue Windows mobile screen before it too, fades and the screen goes black.

I've spoken to T-mobile and they've confirmed I can claim a repair or replacement under the product's 2 year warranty but wanted to know

1) what's caused this fault?

2)Anyone had similar?

3) What's the prognosis for a fix?

I'm due an upgrade in 6 weeks and it seems a bit ridiculous that T-mobile may send me a replacement phone and I then claim an upgrade to a Vario 2 or a N95 a few days later.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Just for information, it appears that the USB connection was broken :P

I'm certain it wasn't when it was sent to the repairer and they tried to get me to stump up £60+ for an out of warranty repair. So I claimed the damage on my phone insurance and have now got a nice new shiny Vario. :rolleyes: