HSDPA on T-mobile PAYG

Guest smith2001

Guest smith2001

I've been told they cannot enable this on payg, has anyone managed too?

i get 40-50kb/sec speed on it at the moment in 3G areas around the base i am currently posted too, but the faster speeds would be nice

cheers all

• 2 months later...
Guest UndeadDevil
40-50 isnt even 3g its GPRS. 3g runs at between 200 and 300 and HSDPA between 500 and 1200

Holy s***, HSDPA runs at 1.2Megabytes a second! I must be getting ripped off...

3G can peak at 50kb/s, GPRS can peak at 7kb/s and HSDPA can peak at 400kb/s (On T-Mobile with a a newer HSDPA Device - 3.6mbps)

Guest jchamier
Holy s***, HSDPA runs at 1.2Megabytes a second! I must be getting ripped off...

3G can peak at 50kb/s, GPRS can peak at 7kb/s and HSDPA can peak at 400kb/s (On T-Mobile with a a newer HSDPA Device - 3.6mbps)

What are you using to test? - http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed - is what I use, and depending on time of day, I get very variable results.

GPRS is usally 50kilobit/sec, and 3G is 384kilobit/sec, and HSDPA is around 400 to 1200 kilobit/sec. If you have a WM6 ROM you should see an H if HSDPA is enabled and available on your connection. On the standard T-mobile WM5 ROM you get no indication difference between 3G and HSDPA.

(don't confuse kilobit with kilobyte, most downloads use bytes, most networks/broadband/wireless use bits)

Guest jchamier

I'm getting between 480kbit/s and 580kbit/s tonight using the dslreports tester.

I've also tried www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk after installing the PocketPC version of Flash 7, and that gives 515kbit/s down, and 100kbit/sec up. Not bad for nearly midnight (quiet time for cell site?), but I have seen better.

Guest UndeadDevil
GPRS is usally 50kilobit/sec, and 3G is 384kilobit/sec, and HSDPA is around 400 to 1200 kilobit/sec. If you have a WM6 ROM you should see an H if HSDPA is enabled and available on your connection. On the standard T-mobile WM5 ROM you get no indication difference between 3G and HSDPA.

(don't confuse kilobit with kilobyte, most downloads use bytes, most networks/broadband/wireless use bits)

From what I've seen on various forums, people usually refer to kilobit's as kbps and kilobytes as kb/s (Every browser i've used says kb/s for download rates) - This stuff is confusing :)

Your HSDPA values look wrong, GPRS and 3G are correct (the maxinum throughput for them) but HSDPA goes much much faster than 1200kbps (as a general maxinum 3600kbps on T-Mobile in almost equal distence to 4 cells) I've seend people getting 2mbps on HSDPA easily in this area (on laptop)

jchamier: Speedtest.net is the most accurate speedtester I've used, DSLReports sometimes gives me readings of 4mbps or higher while speedtest.net says 1.2mbps.

Edited by UndeadDevil

Guest jchamier
From what I've seen on various forums, people usually refer to kilobit's as kbps and kilobytes as kb/s (Every browser i've used says kb/s for download rates) - This stuff is confusing :)

I agree its confusing, and that's why I tend to spell it out. Browsers use kilobytes because that's how the file you download is measured. Speed tests and network techs use kilobits (or just bits) because it sounds faster, and they're transferring data, not just downloading files, its technically more accurate. Blooming annoying, but I end up having to work with this stuff every day :-)

Your HSDPA values look wrong, GPRS and 3G are correct (the maxinum throughput for them) but HSDPA goes much much faster than 1200kbps (as a general maxinum 3600kbps on T-Mobile in almost equal distence to 4 cells) I've seend people getting 2mbps on HSDPA easily in this area (on laptop)

I suspect the Hermes might not got any faster using its own internal browser. On WiFi sitting right next to my router with full signal (and set to full performance, not battery) I get 1.2meg (1200kilobits/sec) using the dslreports tester.

jchamier: Speedtest.net is the most accurate speedtester I've used, DSLReports sometimes gives me readings of 4mbps or higher while speedtest.net says 1.2mbps.

I'll give that a go, as I have flash 7 installed, although on my machine it often seems to crash PIE (causing PIE to just vanish). I managed to get http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk to work however, and it gave the same download speed as dslreports.com, usefully.

My T-mobile base station is visible across my car park, I can tell its T-mobile by using Ofcom's Sitefinder site (http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/), so I'd hope I get reasonable service.

I'll try using Internet Sharing/USB and see what I get from an attached PC, instead of just the WM6 apps themselves. (WM6 is slighly faster than WM5 it seems!).

Guest jchamier

Ok, I'm getting crap speeds tonight. The "H" comes up for HSDPA, but I'm only getting:

> Download Speed: 322 kbps (40.3 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 171 kbps (21.4 KB/sec )

from www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk - using Bluetooth PAN or USB with internet sharing.

The other night I was easily getting 1.2meg on the phone itself. Perhaps all my neighbours have switched to T-mobile, or the cell is not well :)

Guest jchamier

Ok, I'm getting crap speeds tonight. The "H" comes up for HSDPA, but I'm only getting:

> Download Speed: 322 kbps (40.3 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 171 kbps (21.4 KB/sec )

from www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk - using Bluetooth PAN or USB with internet sharing.

The other night I was easily getting 1.2meg on the phone itself. Perhaps all my neighbours have switched to T-mobile, or the cell is not well :)

Guest UndeadDevil
I suspect the Hermes might not got any faster using its own internal browser. On WiFi sitting right next to my router with full signal (and set to full performance, not battery) I get 1.2meg (1200kilobits/sec) using the dslreports tester.

I two have noticed it allways seems slow. Does Opera work any better for you? Or can the Herme's processor only handle 1.2mbps

I'll give that a go, as I have flash 7 installed, although on my machine it often seems to crash PIE (causing PIE to just vanish). I managed to get http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk to work however, and it gave the same download speed as dslreports.com, usefully.

Flash seems to be very RAM Hungry, I get that You must Close Applications Box alot. I guess thats why speedtest.net doesn't work very well while http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ does.

I just ran the BBMax test, firstly while connected via USB to PC then via HSDPA.

USB: 682kbps Download/728kbps Upload (Then did the same test on PC, 4583kbps Download! - Seems pIE is slowing stuff down)

HSDPA: 982kbps Download/301kbps Upload

My T-mobile base station is visible across my car park, I can tell its T-mobile by using Ofcom's Sitefinder site (http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/), so I'd hope I get reasonable service.

That could cause issues, HSDPA uses 4 cells to get its peak speed. I'm no expect at radio signals but wouldn't being very close to one cell block access to the others?

Thanks for the site, turns out I've got over 18 cells within 2 miles. I only know of 2 of them!

I'll try using Internet Sharing/USB and see what I get from an attached PC, instead of just the WM6 apps themselves. (WM6 is slighly faster than WM5 it seems!).

To me Slightly is a under-statement. While I found the Black ROM's (Since Shadow) to be pretty slow, Schap's ROM's fly at everything, even pIE is acceptable.

Guest jchamier
I two have noticed it allways seems slow. Does Opera work any better for you? Or can the Herme's processor only handle 1.2mbps

Not tried Opera, probably worth a look.

I just ran the BBMax test, firstly while connected via USB to PC then via HSDPA.

USB: 682kbps Download/728kbps Upload (Then did the same test on PC, 4583kbps Download! - Seems pIE is slowing stuff down)

HSDPA: 982kbps Download/301kbps Upload

I read that the Hermes was only USB 1.1, which is really awfully slow, and your 682kbps sounds like USB1.1 maxed out. Running the BBmax speedtest on my PC I get 15000kbps (I'm on bulldog ADSL2+). I've not tried via USB or bluetooth.

That could cause issues, HSDPA uses 4 cells to get its peak speed. I'm no expect at radio signals but wouldn't being very close to one cell block access to the others? Thanks for the site, turns out I've got over 18 cells within 2 miles. I only know of 2 of them!

Ahh... so I may get better speed if I walk into town :-) LOL.... typical.

To me Slightly is a under-statement. While I found the Black ROM's (Since Shadow) to be pretty slow, Schap's ROM's fly at everything, even pIE is acceptable.

Nice! I'll have a play at some point, although I've just got this one all sorted and working smoothly again since putting the HTC Europe rom on (no reliability/speed issues with that, just can't get on with all the green!).