CNET get a hands on with the Zenum Opus, MoDaCo asks what the...?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
thumb_24-May-2007_opus3.jpg

Well what do you know, the Opus (Pocket PC) - announced an AGE ago by Swiss company Zenum - has finally made the transition from vapourware to a real live device.

After a number of changes to it's design, CNET seem to have got their grubby paws on a unit! The CNET hands on consists of 6 photos, and a short writeup.

Device specs from the Zenum Products page...

- Windows Mobile 6 (Professional)
- QWERTY Bar type device
- TI OMAP 850 Tri band with 850/1800/1900 and 900/1800/1900 variants available
- 128MB ROM / 64MB RAM
- miniSD expansion
- 2MP Camera
- WiFi / BT / IR

That's what they tell you. What they don't tell you is that the device is ODM'd for them by TechFaithWireless, who also produce devices for UBiQUiO and i-mate. Sure enough, upon closer inspection of the device specs / form / port placements etc., it's clear to see that the Opus sits roughly between the UBiQUiO 501 and the i-mate JAQ3, which are both based on the same design.

Nothing wrong with that I hear you say, and you're right... when I reviewed the UBiQUiO 501 I found it had some endearing features, and was very likeable at the price. And here lies the problem.

Again from the CNET article:

The Zenum will be available in September for about £481 from eXpansys.

Bear in mind that the UBiQUiO 501 can be had for £199 now, and the successor - the 503G - is just around the corner for less than the Zenum is set to debut at.

Can the slightly more sexy looks of the Opus justify the sky high price? Not for me, but you - the buying public - will decide...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.