'SPV' branding safe after all?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

This just in from Orange... the SPV brand seems to be safe after all?

Hi Paul,

Please see the below for a response to your enquiry.

Eh? What enquiry? (/me is confused at this point)

Orange has no plans to drop the SPV brand in any of our markets. SPV devices, as part of our Signature Series, are a very important part of our device portfolio and have a lot of valued added Orange features. We will continue to launch SPV devices, as part of the Signature Series, some of which will be from HTC.

As HTC are increasing the number of devices they launch we have decided that not all of them will be Signature Series and therefore not always SPV. For this reason we are launching the HTC Touch under the HTC brand. The Orange mark will still appear on the HTC Touch, as it does on lots of other devices.

Longer term, we are planning to only use the Orange mark on Signature devices. Our aim is for the Orange mark to stand for an assured quality level plus value added features and for the Signature Series - which comprises devices from many manufacturers - to be a higher level of quality still.

So, the SPV brand is for 'signature devices' only it seems, which doesn't include the HTC Touch. Not too confusing then :rolleyes:

It's also particularly impressive how Orange can respond to queries I never sent, but have still been unable to produce a SPV E650 / Samsung i600 for MoDaCo or reply to the bulk of my follow ups...!

P

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Heh, the out of breath exec wasn't exactly clear on that on Tuesday...cue a range of half-arsed TFW knock-offs to continue the SPV line? ;p

Guest Ovie

So...I'm guessing the "signature" devices are currently Hermes and Trinity, with Hermes likely to be replaced by the Kaiser.

Our aim is for the Orange mark to stand for an assured quality level plus value added features and for the Signature Series

The first thing I'm thinking is to flash a new ROM!

Guest martinwilliams999
This just in from Orange... the SPV brand seems to be safe after all?

Eh? What enquiry? (/me is confused at this point)

So, the SPV brand is for 'signature devices' only it seems, which doesn't include the HTC Touch. Not too confusing then :rolleyes:

It's also particularly impressive how Orange can respond to queries I never sent, but have still been unable to produce a SPV E650 / Samsung i600 for MoDaCo or reply to the bulk of my follow ups...!

P

As HTC are increasing the number of devices they launch we have decided that not all of them will be Signature Series and therefore not always SPV. For this reason we are launching the HTC Touch under the HTC brand. The Orange mark will still appear on the HTC Touch, as it does on lots of other devices.

Longer term, we are planning to only use the Orange mark on Signature devices. Our aim is for the Orange mark to stand for an assured quality level plus value added features and for the Signature Series - which comprises devices from many manufacturers - to be a higher level of quality still.

Does Orange mean to imply that the quality of the HTC Touch does not come up to the quality standard required to be considered a Signature Series device?

Having said that, since SPV originally meant Sounds, Pictures & Video, I can see why the name could possibly become obsolete in the future, as the majority of modern mobile phones are just as capable of handling sounds, pictures & video as the SPV range.

Maybe we, the users, should be using the forum here to help Orange choose a new, more relevant name for the phones currently called SPV, or even just a more relevant meaning for the acronym SPV.

Special Phone Variant?

Simple, Practical, Versatile?

There must be hundreds of ideas out there that are better than Sounds, Pictures, Video.

Martin

Guest Paul (MVP)
since SPV originally meant Sounds, Pictures & Video

Well, technically it originally meant 'SmartPhone Version', and the original SPV, the SPV1 as it was known internally, was therefore 'Smartphone Version 1' :rolleyes:

P

Guest kevinsephiroth
Orange mark for quality??, :rolleyes:. It has become anything but since acquisition by France Telecom.

SO our France Telecom did absorb Orange Europe??? Oh that's great :P

I thought it was the contrary (France Telecom is crappy , so I never thought it could afford to buy Orange!)

France Powaa lol

It's also particularly impressive how Orange can respond to queries I never sent,

Yeah, and often when you do send them inquiries they never answer :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.