Memory Card Issues

Guest jayz1220

Guest jayz1220

Hello,

I have had a quick search and couldn't find anything relating to my issue on the forum.

I have a SPV M3100 with a 2gb Sandisk MicroSD card. It has been working well until about 4 weeks ago when I recognised that my emails did not contain any contents only a header. I have setup the device to store all messages (MAPI folders, using the registry tweak) on the memory card.

Further investigation revealed that when I browsed the contents of the card with File Explorer the folders would be listed for the storage card, but no contents were available. Seemed like the directory structure was held in memory, but the access to the memory card had gone.

Upon restarting I would find that I regained access to the contents of the memory card, but of course the messages which arrived while the memory card was inaccessible did not contain a message body, only the header (which i assume is held in phone memory). It seems like the memory card becomes inaccessible after about 20-30 minutes after the restart.

My question is:

1) Has anyone experienced this before?

2) Is it the memory card or the reader component on the phone causing it?

BTW: I unfortunately don't have a spare MicroSD to check with.

Any ideas would be appreciated, otherwise I'll just order a new MicroSD (probably an Ultra II this time). Does anyone know if the phone realises a performance increase using a high speed memory card? ie when launching an application from storage card.

Regards

Jay

Guest Fredde87
Hello,

I have had a quick search and couldn't find anything relating to my issue on the forum.

I have a SPV M3100 with a 2gb Sandisk MicroSD card. It has been working well until about 4 weeks ago when I recognised that my emails did not contain any contents only a header. I have setup the device to store all messages (MAPI folders, using the registry tweak) on the memory card.

Further investigation revealed that when I browsed the contents of the card with File Explorer the folders would be listed for the storage card, but no contents were available. Seemed like the directory structure was held in memory, but the access to the memory card had gone.

Upon restarting I would find that I regained access to the contents of the memory card, but of course the messages which arrived while the memory card was inaccessible did not contain a message body, only the header (which i assume is held in phone memory). It seems like the memory card becomes inaccessible after about 20-30 minutes after the restart.

My question is:

1) Has anyone experienced this before?

2) Is it the memory card or the reader component on the phone causing it?

BTW: I unfortunately don't have a spare MicroSD to check with.

Any ideas would be appreciated, otherwise I'll just order a new MicroSD (probably an Ultra II this time). Does anyone know if the phone realises a performance increase using a high speed memory card? ie when launching an application from storage card.

Regards

Jay

I have this problem too after I replaced my first one. No problems for 4 months, got it replaced and had problems after just a week. Does your serial number start with HT640 as well?

I have a spare 1gb micro SD card I will try with tomorrow!

Guest jayz1220
I have this problem too after I replaced my first one. No problems for 4 months, got it replaced and had problems after just a week. Does your serial number start with HT640 as well?

I have a spare 1gb micro SD card I will try with tomorrow!

Hello Fredde,

I assume when you say you got it replaced you mean you had the phone replaced and not the storage card. My serial begins HT636, did you suspect there was a bad batch of handsets in there somewhere?

Regards

Jay

Guest Fredde87

Yes I had my phone replaced. At first I thought it was probably the phone but I am starting the think it is the memory card. I have had it in the memory card reader of my PC and had files being corrupt with weird filenames (could still be the phone corrupting them). I have switched to a 1gb micro SD card now but I havent had much time to test it (have had a lot to do) but I will give it a good test in the next couple of days.

Guest jayz1220

I received a new memory card yesterday (SandDisk UltraII). Completely reset the device and installed it, after a little while the same issue occurred.

I called up Orange (I had not purchased the handset from them) and started off the fault process with them, eventually after quite a few "on holds" they said I would have to pay £100 for emergency care to have it replaced. As I am out of contract I said no, and they gave me contact details for HTC.

Thing is, overnight the issue has not manifested itself, so I am starting to think it may have been the SD card again now :rolleyes:. Back to sq1, Ill just have to wait and observe, hopefully it won't happen again.

Regards

Jay

Guest jimbouk

There have been various memory card problems with Hermes over the last few months. There are a few hacks and tweaks over at xda developers for the problems.

I had to format a micro sd card that started reporting itself as full (and which had lost loads of data) when I was running wm5 but havent had that problem with wm6.