SPV E650 de-Brand + Fix Pack 0.5

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
I'm guessing the Tomtom Application code is based on the IMEI number? Not sure why it should have changed and locked me out though.

The IMEI code hasn't changed - they are check digits that aren't shown on the box.

P

Guest paholman
I'm guessing the Tomtom Application code is based on the IMEI number? Not sure why it should have changed and locked me out though.

I think it's based on Device ID or something. I had similar issues after I installed different ROMs on my StrTrk.

I had to contact TomTom each time. Only installed two diff ROMs, but I didn't want to keep pestering them.

As I've now replaced the StrTrk with the E650, I'm waiting for TomTom to supply me with yet another Authentication code :rolleyes:

Guest Prof. Yaffle
The IMEI code hasn't changed - they are check digits that aren't shown on the box.

P

Ah, okay thanks. Not sure what's gone on then. Just spoke to Tomtom who have asked me to fax over receipts for proof of the phones I've had previously as well as for the current phone. He changed it to just the current phone when I said there was no chance I'd still have delivery confirmation for my previous phones. They said it will take 48-72 hours for them to decide if they'll authorise me to swap to my new phone (he couldn't explain why it had been working for a month without problems).

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've just read through my reg tweaks again, and can't really see anything that should cause it to change TBH, although without knowing how they do their security, who knows :rolleyes:

P

Guest Prof. Yaffle
I've just read through my reg tweaks again, and can't really see anything that should cause it to change TBH, although without knowing how they do their security, who knows :rolleyes:

P

Another thing I've noticed. Some of my tones got changed, eg, my custom ringtone, my sms tone, my alarm tone. But others didn't eg email and New Instant message.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Pack updated to 0.2.

Changes include an additional tweak to (hopefully) help fix the install problem, and a small change that may remove the TomTom issue - paholman, may be worth resetting again and using this new version. If it still presents a problem, then i'm REALLY confused :rolleyes:

You should also no longer need to rerun the Orange unlocker.

P

Guest Prof. Yaffle
They're set to the non-Orange ones, ones that aren't changed haven't been 'Orange'd' :rolleyes:

P

Thanks. Thought that might be the case. I just wondered with some of them still being named as Orange.

I've just tried uninstalling the de-Brand pack, rebooting and then trying Tomtom again and it worked perfectly without complaining about the map needing activating. I'll fax Tomtom though as the proper icons are far nicer.

Guest Prof. Yaffle
Prof. Yaffle - see above :rolleyes:

P

Sorry, you'd posted that whilst I was replying and I missed it. Just giving it a go now.

Guest Prof. Yaffle
Prof. Yaffle - see above :rolleyes:

P

Unfortunately Tomtom still comes up with the activation request and the same different Device code with v0.2 of the de-Brander.

Guest Paul (MVP)

In that case TomTom is doing something VERY odd in their code generation. In an ideal world they'd look at this CAB and determine what was causing the conflict, but, er, I won't hold my breath on that one :rolleyes:

P

Guest J.L. Bloem

Paul, thanks alot for your effort :rolleyes:

It worked like a charm, and i love the original start menu, and such.

Havent installed any apps yet, but i don't really need other apps.

Keep up the good work :P

Guest paholman

HI Paul,

I got it to work with the original 0.1 Fix Pack, but this time I rebooted phone after the unlocker, and again after the De-Brand.

I'll Hard Reset again and try the new latest Fix Pack (0.2), and let you know

Thanks

Guest paholman
Pack updated to 0.2.

Changes include an additional tweak to (hopefully) help fix the install problem, and a small change that may remove the TomTom issue - paholman, may be worth resetting again and using this new version. If it still presents a problem, then i'm REALLY confused :D

You should also no longer need to rerun the Orange unlocker.

P

Paul.

Excellent Work!!! All working now.

:rolleyes:

It's a shame the guys at Orange/HTC haven't put in the time, effort or dedication that you have to release a fix to this problem. :D

You are a credit to the Windows Mobile community!

:P

Thanks again for your assistance

Cheers,

Paul

Guest Paul (MVP)

If you shell out your hard earned on a phone (like I and the rest of you guys have), then you have a right firstly for it to function correctly (as in the case of the install problem) and secondly to choose not to have the look and feel bastardised just because you're with a particular operator.

I fully appreciate the work Orange put into their brand etc., but I think the end user should be able to turn the customisations off, particularly when it's an ugly, poorly thought out implementation as in the case of the E650, definitely the worst offender yet.

Altho' I get a fair few phones sent to me, I still buy enough myself to know what it feels like to be a real consumer!

:rolleyes:

P

Guest Sp00k
>snipsnip

I most certainly don't appreciate the work that they put into it, particularly when Orange have a well-deserved reputation of introducing OS complications along with crippling the features of some handsets when doing so! ... e.g. Recently, the VOIP facility was found to have been removed from the Orange-branded version of the Nokia N95, much to the annoyance of many purchasers.

The last handset I bought was SIM-free, thus ensuring a virginal phone that hadn't been tampered with. Had Paul been able to release his de-branding code sooner, the SPV E650 would have been amongst my list of devices to consider... It would appear from their reluctance to supply devices to the reviewers, that Orange fail to realise the influence that high-membership sites such as Modaco have on would-be purchasers who are members... and on their friends who ask their advice!!

Orange, by clumsily branding your handsets... you are losing customers... not to mention good-will! ... Although after your recent 30MB 'unlimited' Data Plan debacle, that good-will may take a LOT of regaining.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.