Youtube goes mobile!

Guest Stephano87

Guest Stephano87

Youtube has a mobile site at m.youtube.com. It streams movies over rtsp(Real Time Streaming Protocol) in .3gp format. All great stuff, but here's the downside: There is no rtsp support for the WM platform. Only an old version of RealPlayer seems to play it and that won't work on most devices and is very buggy.

Who knows of a rtsp streaming solution for Windows Mobile? It's a shame that a format supported by the simplest of Symbian devices isn't supported on WM. With 3G, Wi-Fi and a mobile video site like YouTube now has, it's a pitty us Smartphone/PocketPC owners can't use it!

Guest zipredictive

what the hell.... I have a Htc Vox too but it doesn't work. When I click on Watch Video WIndows Media Player Starts but I get this error...

An Error Occured

0x80004005....

DO u use wmp or another player?

Thanx

Guest kevinsephiroth
ive just tried it and it works like a dream on my HTC Vox

This sounds wrong in my ears .... Like WindowsXp, Windows Mobile doesn't have a rtsp-protocol associated application, in native... Maybe with a third thier app.

You should be able to tell us how d'you managed to get m.youtube.com to work on your device.

Guest Stephano87
This sounds wrong in my ears .... Like WindowsXp, Windows Mobile doesn't have a rtsp-protocol associated application, in native... Maybe with a third thier app.

You should be able to tell us how d'you managed to get m.youtube.com to work on your device.

In fact windows media player is assiciated with it as a 3gp-stream, but it can't play the rtsp-stream. The only other program that (used to) play rtsp is RealPlayer. There is a very old version available here, but I can't get it to work.

Guest Retro Willy
I'm using a HTC Vox as well but I get the same error as zipredictive. What app did u use Retro Willy?

I have the Vodafone version of the Vox (v1415). It works through everything that came on the phone! Find the site through IE Mobile then find the video you want to watch. when lanuched i am taken to the Streaming Media app which is found in media.

I thought this was windows media but i jus checked and under 'About' it says its developed by HTC. This was already on the phone so dunno where to find it to install. Works fine though on my wi-fi connection. No lag or anything!

Guest GuyAdams
I have the Vodafone version of the Vox (v1415). It works through everything that came on the phone! Find the site through IE Mobile then find the video you want to watch. when lanuched i am taken to the Streaming Media app which is found in media.

I thought this was windows media but i jus checked and under 'About' it says its developed by HTC. This was already on the phone so dunno where to find it to install. Works fine though on my wi-fi connection. No lag or anything!

He's right, I too have the v1415 (aka Vox) and it works perfectly, no jerky video and faily reasonable quality.

As Retro Willy says, it streams through 'HTC Streaming Media, Version 2.10 (build 314.715)' found in the media folder on start up.

Perhaps you guys should check what version you have?

Thanks

Guest GuyAdams
Any streaming media players for this?

Does your E650 not have the HTC Streaming media application? Is that some else Orange removed before sending it out to customers?

Guest GuyAdams
mine is orange spv e650 :@ lol

I think you misunderstood.

I said on your Orange SPV E650, do you have the Media Streaming application found in the Media folder on the Start Menu?

Guest GuyAdams
yea orange suck. lol

So you have nothing in the start menu that says 'Streaming Media' ouch!

The fact everyone takes Live Messenger out (apart from HTC) is bad enough but you've also by the sounds of it had the streaming application removed. I can't see any reason why Orange should of removed it?

Guest jockyw2001

Retro Willy or other Vodafone Vox users: can you find the name of the executable? (just take a look at the props of the shortcut in the start menu)

Thx!

EDIT: found a copy of that app here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=553

Copied the app to my Vox and it works, except my browser still opens WM10 when I click on a video.

Does anyone know how to associate HTC streaming media player with urls of type rtsp:// ??

Edited by jockyw2001

Guest Confucious

I have Streaming Media player on my Ameo but it goes connecting....

Then Failed to find network and closes. Works fine for radio streaming etc.

Guest nuttyphilt
I have Streaming Media player on my Ameo but it goes connecting....

Then Failed to find network and closes. Works fine for radio streaming etc.

Same problem on my M3100 (with WM6)

Guest GuyAdams
Copied the app to my Vox and it works, except my browser still opens WM10 when I click on a video.

Does anyone know how to associate HTC streaming media player with urls of type rtsp:// ??

I believe it will be a pocket IE registry entry, let me have a look at my v1415.